Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
The Power of III
1,365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Link:

Excerpt:

However, this fall there have been major outbreaks in school districts in or adjacent to Buffalo, raising concerns of re-infections. Such re-infections are supported by anecdotal reports of people infected in the spring and fall, or twice in the fall.

The recently released data on the clinical trial in Australia suggests that such re-infections may be linked to low titers generated during mild infections. Although prior pandemic H1N1 infections were among exclusion criteria, 31% of enrollees had titers of 40 or more at baseline. Since there is little cross reactivity between contemporary seasonal H1N1 and pandemic swine H1N1, the baseline titers are almost certainly due to pandemic H1N1 infections that were not disclosed or not know the enrollee. Since many who are infected experience mild disease, including infections without fever, it is likely that many or most of these enrollees had mild infections.

Figure two suggests that although these enrollees had prior antibodies, the titers were relatively low (the vast majority were between 40 and 160) and most had significant improvements (increases of 4 fold or more) after a single injection, suggesting the weak responses to earlier natural infections would provide limited immunological protection, which would support common re-infections. . . . . more at link above

Reactions: Baja

·
Registered
4 Posts
My son , who is 2, had the flu and was tested in the Dr office on Sept 16. Results were influenza a but no subtyping was done, the Dr said to just "assume" he had H1N1 since that was all that was going around. He had a low fever...around 99/100 and was generally ok, I was just concerned about his cough.He prescribed tamiflu and I gave it to him and he got better, for about 2 weeks. 2 weeks later, BAM! he woke up with 103 fever , the next 3 days everytime the fever reducer wore off, his fever would climb to 104, once even to 105. I went to the ER when he became very lethargic, they didn't even test him since he had already had the flu 2 weeks earlier, just told me he had a cold. When he didn't get any better and at day five of fever and cough, I took him into his regular Dr. He tested positive for the flu again. It baffled the doctor to say the least, b/c he had gotten better and was fine for nearly 2 weeks. He was more tired than usual after the first bout, but I just thought that was normal, I mean he was getting over the flu. Thankfully he has fully recovered now, but that relapse was so much more intense and so sudden, it was like nothing I had ever experienced.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts