Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Grumpy Old Curmudgeon
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The following link is to a discussion on the Chinese (?) 3000w generators available all over the place.

It has over 6000 posts and more than a million hits.

If you wondered about the CHAMPION or other genny's, then this is the place to find out........

(Be sure you get a drink BEFORE you start this)

http://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/15131645.cfm

·
Founder
16,867 Posts
Interesting article. For runing an RV, 3,000 watts might be fine. But for a house, and running freezers and refrigerator, maybe a window AC unit, fans, phone charger, battery charger and so on, 3,000 watts is on the low side. I like the idea of bringing my genny back to the local store and having them fix it, instead of having to send me unit off. This is one of the plus sides of buying from Sears. If the item weighs more then a certain amount, Sears will send a repair man out to your house. The last genny I bought from Sears, if it broke down, I did not have to ship it anywhere. A service person was sent out. Thankfully that never had to happen.

The Chinese company that makes the ELM3000 generators is a rather large, diverse, long-standing company with a reputation for “above average quality” Chinese made products (Jiung Manufacturing). There are many more Chinese companies making almost idntical gensets.

The generators at PepBoys do have a six month limited warranty. But, it is only on the engine (not the generator) and requires paying for shipping to and from Buffalo. Probably not a very practical thing to do if you have warranty issues.

ELIM does supply replacement parts (a PDF parts manual is available on the ELIM web site). No prices are given for replacement parts nor is there an “availability listing”.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts