Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Super Moderator
Psalm 34:4
24,292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today it was announced on a local radio station the the newspaper here in Memphis had put up an online searchable database listing the names of EVERYONE who had obtained a handgun permit.

I checked this out myself and you can go to our local newspaper, type in the city and zip code and it will give you a list of everyone who has a permit to carry a handgun.

My zip code has 818 people on the list.

The list gives your full name, date of birth, when you got the permit and when it expires.

So now, all the criminals in town can come by your house, check your mailbox or trash, find your name, search the database and find out if you would be easy to rob or if they need to come in shooting.

Insurance companies can search this database and decide not to sell you life insurance because your a high risk gun owner.

Home owners insurance might be raised because you have a gun in your home.

Employers can use this database to find out if job applicants might carry guns and not hire you based on their finding your name on this database.

so much for our right to privacy.... again....

·
"I drank what?" -Socrates
1,414 Posts
Today it was announced on a local radio station the the newspaper here in Memphis had put up an online searchable database listing the names of EVERYONE who had obtained a handgun permit.

I checked this out myself and you can go to our local newspaper, type in the city and zip code and it will give you a list of everyone who has a permit to carry a handgun.

My zip code has 818 people on the list.

The list gives your full name, date of birth, when you got the permit and when it expires.

So now, all the criminals in town can come by your house, check your mailbox or trash, find your name, search the database and find out if you would be easy to rob or if they need to come in shooting.

Insurance companies can search this database and decide not to sell you life insurance because your a high risk gun owner.

Home owners insurance might be raised because you have a gun in your home.

Employers can use this database to find out if job applicants might carry guns and not hire you based on their finding your name on this database.

so much for our right to privacy.... again....
"We're polishing the brass on the Titanic"
--Tyler Durden

·
American fearmaker
14,248 Posts
So, how will your locality remedy this situation??? You need to put pressure on local politicians to let them know, without a doubt, that you want to maintain your gun rights and your privacy at the same time. I would get a list of the politicians who approved publishing the list of gun owners and turning the heat on them from now until the next election time is over and the votes are counted. I would work to make sure that the people who violated your trust were run out of office, either elected or appointed.

·
Here's my safety Sir
14,677 Posts
Sounds like a good class action law suit. I'll guarantee there are one or two lawyers who's names come up on the list who would take it on.

·
Super Moderator
24,292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The source of the list the Tennessee Department of Safety. I assure you they will be hearing from me as will all my elected officials. I will also be letting the newspaper know how I feel.

As for our "local" politicians, Memphis is The stronghold for Obama in TN, our local leaders are so corrupt it's pathetic, the local news has stopped trying to keep up with which ones are under investigation or indictment. They don't care about gun owners, just the sheeple who need more welfare, and the sheeple outnumber the patriots at least 2 to 1 so the sheeple win all the elections.

·
Super Moderator
24,292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sounds like a good class action law suit. I'll guarantee there are one or two lawyers who's names come up on the list who would take it on.
Thanks to the freedom of information act, freedom of the press, the ACLU, and sheeple everywhere, a class action suit would not even get to court.

All the information is available on request from the TN Department of Safety, the newspaper is using the freedom of information act and freedom of the press/freedom of speech, to push their own agenda (Obama's) down the throats of everyone by making the information easier to get. Instead of filling out paperwork, mailing it to the Dept. of Safety, and waiting for a reply, all you have to do is go online and you have your list.

·
Super Moderator
24,292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sure am glad we don't have this silly gun permit BS here in Texas!!!
I wish we didn't. If I could move I'd be out of here tomorrow.

·
Permanently gone
1,720 Posts
This is a ploy used by several news outlets in the past to boost circulation or increase *hits* on their web sites.
The Roanoke Va newspaper did, a paper in Ohio has done it, several others.
Unfortunately, it has, in the past led to tragic events.
A few times, criminals have been able to track down past victims and try to retaliate against them--such as cases of stalking, spousal abuse, rape, etc.
In some localities they have printed the permit holders address as well!
The list does not discriminate...there are probably names of local law enforcement and BATFE agents on there as well.
It is reckless disregard and a need for publicity and controversy that induces media outlets to do this. They say it is in the name of journalism and the public interest.
Bull!

·
Minarchist (Jeffersonian)
3,306 Posts
All I can say is let it go ahead, you can't stop it, the system is just too corrupt, when the
bodies start to pile up they will have to do something, the only places where I'm not armed
are federal buildings/court houses and the like, and I have a feeling that I'm not the only
one.

·
Destroyer of Ignorance
2,988 Posts
Holy $hit, does everybody in Tennesee talk like that lady? It was like a cruel joke where they tried to see how many times she could say the word in 10 seconds or less. Anybody else want a cold Brrr, LMFAO. Is it really that hard to say BEER? I needed that, thank you.

Reactions: jfountain2

·
SquiddusMaximus (Retired)
3,059 Posts
All I can say is, wow. I sure as hell don't want to have to look over my shoulder just to take out the trash but it seems that this is a tactic this is being employed to harass gun owners.

So what will be the outcome? I bet some folks will now decide to not get a CWP, carry anyways or buy "disposable" side arms that can be untraced or tossed.

I know for a fact that I'm on a list and if I do wind up having my name printed in a paper, I'll rent a billboard and place the address and personal information of the Reporter, The Editor and Owner of the paper on it and call to light him/her anti 2nd amendment stance (I know a couple advertising types that can spin a good yarn for this and be legal) and place it in plain view of I-95 to be viewed by 15-20,000 Washington DC commuters daily. Bring it on.

·
"I drank what?" -Socrates
1,414 Posts
Technically it is freedom of information. But to have a database specifically for gun owners? sounds a bit more like facism to me.
True, but this is obviously an attempt to shame people into giving up their guns. This kind of thing is getting more and more common. In my little corner of Hell's half acre the local DA recently decided to set up a website and posted mugshots of anyone and everyone who had been arrested for DWI...but not necessarily convicted. Caused a ****storm, as you could imagine as several of those who were acquitted filed lawsuits. Privacy is gone, and it ain't coming back.

·
Super Moderator
24,292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
There's a lot of people in Memphis talking (more like yelling) about this. It will be interesting to see how the political machine reacts.

One good thing has come from this though.... I told my wife I want a CCW permit now and she said "but you have to take all those classes and stuff", I told her I had no problem with that and she said..... "Okay, I'll do it too", so hopefully soon we will both be on the list.... and of course I'll be needing more guns, and ammo.....

·
I feel good.... . . .
494 Posts
There's a lot of people in Memphis talking (more like yelling) about this. It will be interesting to see how the political machine reacts.

One good thing has come from this though.... I told my wife I want a CCW permit now and she said "but you have to take all those classes and stuff", I told her I had no problem with that and she said..... "Okay, I'll do it too", so hopefully soon we will both be on the list.... and of course I'll be needing more guns, and ammo.....
In the meantime, remember: It is better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6. Good luck out there.

I know how Im going to help.. . . Im going to arm myself and not become a victim.

·
SquiddusMaximus (Retired)
3,059 Posts
This is a ploy used by several news outlets in the past to boost circulation or increase *hits* on their web sites.
The Roanoke Va newspaper did, a paper in Ohio has done it, several others.
Unfortunately, it has, in the past led to tragic events.
A few times, criminals have been able to track down past victims and try to retaliate against them--such as cases of stalking, spousal abuse, rape, etc.
In some localities they have printed the permit holders address as well!
The list does not discriminate...there are probably names of local law enforcement and BATFE agents on there as well.
It is reckless disregard and a need for publicity and controversy that induces media outlets to do this. They say it is in the name of journalism and the public interest.
Bull!
I just got this e-mail..:

Virginia House of Delegates to Consider Four Pro-Gun Bills!
Please Contact Your State Representative Today!

Last week, the House Committee on Militia, Police and Public Safety passed four pro-gun bills. These bills will now be voted on by the full House of Delegates tomorrow, Tuesday, February 10.

HB 1655, introduced by Delegate Charles Carrico (R-5), requires a court to award reasonable attorney fees, expenses, and court costs to any entity that prevails in an action challenging an ordinance, resolution, motion, or administrative action as being in conflict with a locality's authority to control firearms.

HB 1851, sponsored by Delegate L. Scott Lingamfelter (R-31), will exempt active duty military personnel or Virginia National Guardsmen from Virginia's "one gun a month" law on handgun purchases.

HB 2144, introduced by Delegate David Nutter (R-7), would restrict access to the Virginia concealed carry permit holder list maintained by the Virginia State Police. As you may recall, the Roanoke Times abused this data by creating a public online database with information about Virginia's Right-to-Carry permit holders.

HB 2528, sponsored by Delegate Mark Cole (R-88), would require that any locality holding gun buybacks sell the firearms to a federally licensed dealer. In many cases those firearms are destroyed.

·
Permanently gone
1,720 Posts
I just got this e-mail..:

Virginia House of Delegates to Consider Four Pro-Gun Bills!
Please Contact Your State Representative Today!

Last week, the House Committee on Militia, Police and Public Safety passed four pro-gun bills. These bills will now be voted on by the full House of Delegates tomorrow, Tuesday, February 10.

HB 1655, introduced by Delegate Charles Carrico (R-5), requires a court to award reasonable attorney fees, expenses, and court costs to any entity that prevails in an action challenging an ordinance, resolution, motion, or administrative action as being in conflict with a locality's authority to control firearms.

HB 1851, sponsored by Delegate L. Scott Lingamfelter (R-31), will exempt active duty military personnel or Virginia National Guardsmen from Virginia's "one gun a month" law on handgun purchases.

HB 2144, introduced by Delegate David Nutter (R-7), would restrict access to the Virginia concealed carry permit holder list maintained by the Virginia State Police. As you may recall, the Roanoke Times abused this data by creating a public online database with information about Virginia's Right-to-Carry permit holders.

HB 2528, sponsored by Delegate Mark Cole (R-88), would require that any locality holding gun buybacks sell the firearms to a federally licensed dealer. In many cases those firearms are destroyed.
MOST EXCELLENT!
I am pretty sure that it was the one in Roanoke where a guy tracked down his ex and went after her. I don't think she was killed, but I remember he was able to catch her unawares and beat her badly. They also posted cops names and addresses on their list.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.