Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking at the Emergency Essentials catalog and wondering about FD meats, cheese & fruit. Just how good is the FD meat? Honest real user comments anyone? My last experiment with some Beef TVP was a dismal failure so am looking for the real thing, only in an altered state. Also, the cheeses and fruit I see offered look pretty good. Need to gather as much intel as possible before throwing good money away. Thanks in advance!

talon

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks! Just sent away for them

·
Super Moderator and Walking Methane Refinery
67,419 Posts
Freeze dried meat is actually pretty good. It's pretty close to the real thing and way better than TVP unless you use it in soups, where you can't tell much difference. It's bulky though, because it doesn't shrink as it dries, and it's also very expensive per serving. Freeze dried fruit is good also. But sometimes the less expensive and less bulky dehydrated fruit is just as good. It depends on which fruit. The FD cheese was disappointing to me. It's watery and bland. I guess it's low fat cheese, for long life, and that's probably why I didn't like it. Might be good to have a can of mozerella on hand for pizzas though. They're easy to make with basic ingredients. I always have dehydrated tomato powder on hand, and of course the crust is just oil, yeast and flour for the most part.

I normally store only dehydrated foods and avoid freeze dried because of the bulk and price, but some of the single ingredients are definately superior to the dehydrated ones.

·
Deo VIndice
6,108 Posts
I got a sample from WISE...it was chicken cheesy parmesan.

I followed the directions, boiled the 1cp water, placed in bag and let sit. It called for 10min but I did 15.

My first impression, when I opened the pouch was, the pouch was a bit tough to open by hand..but I think that's a good thing.

Next was the smell. It reminded me of ramen noodles.

Once I Poured the water in, I used a standard length spoon to stir it. The spoon was not quite long enough, as I had to stick my hand part of the way in the bag to stir it. Next I sealed the bag and shook it up REAL good.

After 15 min, I opened the pouch, the zip seal did seal, but it felt kind of iffy, so I made sure when I shook it, I held the top closed with one hand.

Next, I smelled it, smelled OK...no more ramen smell. I poured it into a bowl and it looked good. I added NOTHING to it, just as if I had nothing to add to it in a long term situation.

I personally was disappointed. After sitting 15 min the peas were still a bit shriveled and a bit crunchy. It did have a slight cheese taste - slight. the noodles were soft, but overall it was bland.

Here is what it looked like. Sorry, my hands shake a bit:

WISE 001.jpg

WISE 002.jpg

Just my opinion, try it for yourself. My sample was dated 12/29/09 by the way.

·
Deo VIndice
6,108 Posts
I ordered from both of those, only heard from wise. Maybe they are busy, I dunno.

·
Premium Member
1,421 Posts
The only FD foods I have actually eaten were Mountain House. I've tried the Lasagna, Beef Stew, Chicken & Rice and something Primavera. I liked it. My experience was similar to dayliterin's in that sometimes the vegetables are a little crunchy. My only problem with Mountain House is the price. I stock it but not like I do Emergency Essentials. I have not yet eaten from the Emergency Essentials stock.

I'm with Mike. I stock mostly dehydrated as I can dehydrate a lot myself and what I buy is cheaper than FD.

BTW, did you get the extra sale email from Emergency Essentials on Friday? They are selling their MRE's 21 main course dishes for I think it was $35.00. I did the math and it came out to $1.71 a dish. I ordered a case. I'm not big on MRE's but in a pinch, while camping, in a BOB or when my sons go hunting they work just fine.

·
Deo VIndice
6,108 Posts
lanahi, I just requested a sample from daily bread. I'll let ya know how I like it.

·
Premium Member
4,495 Posts
Wise Foods are vegetarian. They don't say it, but I finally got their sales rep to admit it. No real meat. TVP with flavoring. They also overstate the "meal" value of their foods. Their 3-meals a day is really three servings which amounts to about a third of what you really need at a minimum a day to sustain yourself.

They want me to sell their product. The only way I do is if they let be clearly state what is what with their foods.

Mountain House--Been a dealer for them for many years. Have sold something approaching 150,000 cans worth. GREAT product. No one regrets buying and storing the best, as they sometimes do when they try to cut corners and get burned with other so-called long term storage.

BTW, right now, we have another week to go on our current MH cans sale ... the maximum-allowed 25% off all cans, FREE shipping to the lower 48 (as always).

And yep--I'm an enthusiastic SurvivalistBoards sponsor.

·
King of Nido
2,013 Posts
lanahi, I just requested a sample from daily bread. I'll let ya know how I like it.
I got my sample. Chicken ala king. Dislike chicken with a passion. Requested a different meat. They sent me a second Chicken ala king.

As for the freeze dried meat. It always tastes good when backpacking.

·
Super Moderator and Walking Methane Refinery
67,419 Posts
Wise Foods are vegetarian. They don't say it, but I finally got their sales rep to admit it. No real meat. TVP with flavoring. They also overstate the "meal" value of their foods. Their 3-meals a day is really three servings which amounts to about a third of what you really need at a minimum a day to sustain yourself.

They want me to sell their product. The only way I do is if they let be clearly state what is what with their foods.

Mountain House--Been a dealer for them for many years. Have sold something approaching 150,000 cans worth. GREAT product. No one regrets buying and storing the best, as they sometimes do when they try to cut corners and get burned with other so-called long term storage.

BTW, right now, we have another week to go on our current MH cans sale ... the maximum-allowed 25% off all cans, FREE shipping to the lower 48 (as always).

And yep--I'm an enthusiastic SurvivalistBoards sponsor.
You're right about Wise Foods. Their foods really aren't very good either, at least from what I could tell from their samples.

I'll hafta be the voice of dissent on Mountain House though. I originally bought into it when I first started prepping, and yes, I did come to regret it terribly as time went on. They're ok as occasional camping foods, but it's VERY hard to subsist on them for long.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts