Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Why am I always asking questions on FOOD???
Well here is another one....
For a food program I am looking to add some TVP, "textured vegetable protien"
All the reading I did says its good, what is YOUR opinion?? (after all they are selling it)

·
A friend of the Site
1,966 Posts
Not much help here, i have used it but more as a filler (for which it was fine) i have never used it for a main coarse stand alone meal

·
Registered
609 Posts
My wife WAS a vegetarian before, and shortly after we were married. TVP made tofu taste good, IMO! It's good as a filler, because it'll take the hosts flavor, much like tofu. But TVP by itself...where's that tofu pate'? :eek:

P.S. I REALLY enjoyed eating meat around her, then! Now, She's like a Grizzly if I go near her steak...

·
Banned
1,060 Posts
Chinese TVP is VERY SUSPECT right now. BTW China is so bad off they are eating cardboard as a 'filler'. If it comes to that, I will eat American cardboard, if only to support the local economy! Personaly I would preffer bulk rolled oats, safer and as nutricious, it can be prepared in many ways.

·
Registered
18,814 Posts
only a little at a time

I don't usually like foods that are supposed to taste like a food that they are not - like yogurt in beef Stroganoff - yuck! TVP is supposed to taste like taco-flavored meat, or beef or whatever, but it doesn't. I would rather be a vegetarian. However, I do have freeze dried meats in our storage. They aren't the best either, but they will do.

I am much better off making a totally different food than to try to imitate what we already like.

·
Beer Truck Door Gunner
30,718 Posts
bump to move

1 - 7 of 7 Posts