Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Sweat more, bleed less!
3,153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
which one? Are they all the same, or are some better than others?

At $20 there hard to pass up...:D:

·
Dingleberry
156 Posts
I just ordered this one from smoky mountain and it should be here tomorrow. I'll probably do a review of it after I've had a good chance to use it. Man for 12 bucks I couldn't pass it up, just to try it out. I was gonna go for a plastic-handled Mora but I like the bushcraft, Ray Mears look of this one.
As far as which model you should get, just get what you want. I've never heard a bad thing about any Mora and thay are dirt cheap so just get one and give it a try!

·
Sweat more, bleed less!
3,153 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thats what i'm saying! lol. i also bought one of thoughs cheaper than dirt bowies...the $10 thats on knife reviews, it blew just about every knife outa the water! its my trunk knife...

i just got a CS SRK in stainless...its on, i'm really worried about its strenght, but i'm not planning on abusing the heck outa it so i guess it'll be ok.

·
Registered
439 Posts
I bought the Frosts Mora No. 1 with unfinished handle and laminated carbon steel blade from Ragweed Forge. The nice thing about them is that they also offer leather sheaths instead of the black plastic ones. I'm not a big fan of plastic on knives or sheaths, so I got one of the most "traditional" Moras you can get. My sheath was hot-wax treated, which protects it and makes it look better, IMO. This treatment cost only $2 extra. Total cost: $28. I finished the handle in walnut stain and linseed oil.

Attachments

·
Modern Day Nessmuk
483 Posts
I Run one of theese beauties in the backcountry. A KJ Eriksson Mora #2 in plain carbon steel. I also have a laminated #1, but in my opinion laminated steel is pure trash.

http://www.bensbackwoods.com/servlet/Detail?no=9

Cheap, and takes the best edge I've ever seen as of now. To get it back to a BEASTLY edge, I Put a bit of "Metal Glo" by United Cutlery (Yes, I know they make junk knives, but their polish is pretty nice.) on a strop, and strop the knife fifty times on each side.

·
Registered
304 Posts
I also like more #2 because it´s fatter handle fills my hand better. #1 is just a bit too thin handle for my liking.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Mora's are the sh17 best damn cheap knife I've ever had holds an edge,,cost is minimal I have a carbon and a stainless and they are awesome.

·
Registered
439 Posts
I also have a laminated #1, but in my opinion laminated steel is pure trash.
Really? Why do you say that? I've found mine to be very easy to sharpen (I can strop it 3 or 4 times between sharpenings to bring it back to a fine edge). It holds an edge well and is strong. It also didn't show any sign of rust or discoloration before I started oiling my blades and when I was living in the Florida humidity.

:confused:

·
Registered
317 Posts
I picked up the clip model in high carbon, you have to keep an eye on it for rust but it comes razor sharp and seems like a great knife so far. really comfortable to hold and really sharp.

i found this picture of it on google. was $12 at a local show

·
Sweat more, bleed less!
3,153 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
This is one thing i hate about his town, hardly any gunshows...maby once a year.

and craps soooo expinsive.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Do those Moras have a chisel grind or do they have the true scandi grind (both sides)? If they are chisel ground, does anyone know if Mora or someone else makes knives of similar quality and price with true scandi designs? Thanks.

·
Modern Day Nessmuk
483 Posts
Really? Why do you say that? I've found mine to be very easy to sharpen (I can strop it 3 or 4 times between sharpenings to bring it back to a fine edge). It holds an edge well and is strong. It also didn't show any sign of rust or discoloration before I started oiling my blades and when I was living in the Florida humidity.

:confused:
I need a really strong knife, and the laminated bends too much in my opinion to be a good woods knife. I've retired it for show. The carbon steel mora's are my minimum thickness in a blade. I am the type of guy that'll hold a four inch bladed knife to a calve-thick tree and baton it at a 45 degree angle into it to fell it... I've bent three laminated knives doing this, and they're hard to use a firesteel on.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Do those Moras have a chisel grind or do they have the true scandi grind (both sides)? If they are chisel ground, does anyone know if Mora or someone else makes knives of similar quality and price with true scandi designs? Thanks.
All Scandi-ground, as far as I have seen/read.

·
Registered
439 Posts
I need a really strong knife, and the laminated bends too much in my opinion to be a good woods knife. I've retired it for show. The carbon steel mora's are my minimum thickness in a blade. I am the type of guy that'll hold a four inch bladed knife to a calve-thick tree and baton it at a 45 degree angle into it to fell it... I've bent three laminated knives doing this, and they're hard to use a firesteel on.
I usually carry two knives, a large fixed-blade and a small fixed-blade. The small fixed-blade is always used for lighter duties, like carving, whittling, food prep, cleaning fish etc. The laminated Mora is perfect for this. For heavy-duty jobs, I use the big knife. I also don't usually use a knife with my firesteel.

But I guess if somebody's going to be using the knife really, really hard (beating the heck out of it), maybe a carbon-bladed Mora would be better for that purpose. I don't plan on felling trees with my Mora though. ;)

·
Registered
317 Posts
only thing i dont like about my mora knife is the sheath its to easy for it to fall out. it would be perfect if it was able to stay in the sheath better
I have this problem also. I am going to glue a little strap to the sheath to hold the knife in before I take it out camping with me.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts