Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have always been impressed with the Finnish and Swedish laminated carbon steel blades. Laminated means a piece of extremely hard (Rockwell 60-63) steel sandwiched between two pieces of softer steel. This makes an extremely durable knife blade that holds and keeps an incredibly sharp edge.

My project started off with an oak hammer handle, some 1/4" brass tubing for the thong hole, some 1/8" brass stock for the guard and an unfinished Mora blade from Frosts in Sweden. I used J-B Weld to hold everything together and used an electric hand drill to power the circle sander for shaping.

Below are photos showing the raw materials and the finished knife.

·
Registered
647 Posts
Very Very nice knife! It looks like a possible work horse of the collection :thumb:

Where did you get the blade blank? Link?

Tbull:cool:

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys,

Heres a link to all kinds of Nordic laminated blades. I have made knives from Frosts and Bruseletto blades and can personally recommend them although all the blades on the page are of old fashioned quality manufacture. I have ordered from Ragweed Forge and can say that they are honest and very quick to ship.

http://www.ragweedforge.com/BladeCatalog.html#f-blades

·
Registered
5,160 Posts
The Mora knife is fairly cheap to buy, My friend was a deckhand years ago and told me about how all the crew would buy them and carry them daily. His take was that these are blades that you can bet your life on if you ever got tangled in a net being put out or a rope. He had one that was atleast 20+ years old and it was sharp as any knife I've owned.
Anyhow you did a great job on your knife and that was smart thinking to use a handle.:thumb:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts