Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
SI vis pacem,para bellum
1,822 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Moraknife Companion Fixed Blade Outdoor Knife with Carbon Steel Blade, 4.1-Inch,

Does anyone know the angle, on this Knife?

·
Registered
187 Posts
I think this came from Thomas Eriksson at Morakniv:

Scandinavian traditional knifes have edges around 10 degrees per side of the edge.

Mora knife edges today holds around 11 degrees per side = around 22 degrees total edge. They mostly also have a micro edge in around + 2-3 degrees per side. That means that the angle on the cutting edge is around 26 - 28 degree total edge.

The micro edge is 2-3 tens of 1 mm wide.

Thomas

---------------------------------------
From the Morakniv site:

Always work at the same angle the blade was originally ground to, usually 23°
The 3.2 mm thick blade on our Bushcraft Black is annealed slightly more to 56-58 HRC to better withstand stress on the blade when batoning. The edge angle is therefore slightly greater (~27°) to stand up to tough treatment better.

--------------------------------
Garberg edge angle is 27°, as it is on the majority of our knives with a 3,2 mm thick blade.

·
I love this *****
33,879 Posts
I think it's about 11 degrees per side. To me that is too acute so i usually put a small micro bevel about 15-20 degrees.
I agree. I'm not a huge fan of the Skandi Grind. I prefer the convex grind used by Bark River. But I do have several Moras and they are good knives.

·
Registered
124 Posts
I also think the companion has a 22 degrees Scandi grind. Great for light wood carving but needs frequent resharpening. Micro bevel fixes the issue, I think the "high end" mora's already come with a micro bevel from factory.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts