Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Terra Nullius
663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok. The link below is to a story that states that Moody's sees no reason in either of the debt bills to keep it from reducing the US's AAA rating.

http://thehill.com/blogs/on-the-mon...-neither-plan-protects-the-nations-aaa-rating

Here is the question: What are the short term implications of the downgrade of our rating, and what should we be doing to prepare for its likely removal?

One of the "experts" over the weekend stated on a news show that cash is the best position to have right now, to be as liquid and adaptable to the quickly changing scenario.

I notice that silver is not paralleling gold right now, probably due to the increase in the margin for the paper traders, I believe.

If we have interest rate hikes due to loss of the AAA rating, then it seems that another round of foreclosures on ARMs would be likely. If this were to occur, then cash would be a very good position. The liquidity would permit those with money to take advantage of further depressed real estate valuations, just as people and companies did during the Great Depression.

Thoughts and comments?

CSM 101

·
You Cant Eat ......
1,210 Posts
the company i work for is holding cash right now, not money markets, but cash positions. Do to our size, we do not mess with foreign currency as we do not really have the expertise

In the last 12 months or so we have been selectively buying rental until units (4-6 unit range) at a reasonable discount from prior years. Some of the purchases are instantly cash flow positive.

that being said, we are staying as liquid as possible, and have suspended all capital purchases until we get greater clarity on this situation. Internally, our professionals came to the same conclusion you did. If there is a downgrade, there may be future opportunities to purchase additional properties at really signficant discounts as individuals who are still over leveraged after 2 years will get squeezed further

·
RESET CONGRESS!!
9,462 Posts
I believe it's too little, too late.
Plus, I'm dead set against raising the ceiling.. how about freezing federal spending and bringing troops home for starters. And no new taxes.
The government needs to go on a diet. Show some willingness to the world to begin a process to heal our debt disaster.

·
Banned
6,367 Posts
I believe it's too little, too late.
Plus, I'm dead set against raising the ceiling.. how about freezing federal spending and bringing troops home for starters. And no new taxes.
The government needs to go on a diet. Show some willingness to the world to begin a process to heal our debt disaster.
I agree,but right now there is a thread running on Disaster Preparedness on how to cheat the taxpayers,balance the budget by cutting out all non essential services and put our troops on the border were we need the protection.

Thanks,Bob

1 - 6 of 6 Posts