Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Right Hand Man
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've got Mono, or Epstein Barr virus. Been down and out for a month and a half now. I'd be really interested to hear some of other people experiences with Mono if you've had it before. This will be my 3rd time, and it's the worst so far. My symptoms started out as feverish, then fatigue, then nausea now rapid heart beats, which cause nausea for me. It's been a ride, but i'd be interested in hearing from anyone that's had some success beating this thing.

·
Registered
202 Posts
i wish you luck dude, i wouldnt wish that on anyone. i have it along with lyme disease.
i was told to watch what i eat and dont take a hit to the side or stomach as it enlarges your spleen and a decent hit could rupture it, not good. i found alot of good info on lymenet.org, its for lyme disease but has alot of info on ebv as they are related. check it out and if you need more info just pm me. good luck

·
Registered
14,867 Posts
a word of encouragement - a friend from church went into boot camp with mono and completed it with an active infection. She is a combat medic for the Army. 1 tour in Iraq so far. If she can make it you can too!

P.S. stop kissing strangers ;)

·
Registered
12 Posts
I got mono when I was 45yld in 2006 while training to run for the NY Marathon. I ignored it, pushed myself and then the virus totally wiped me out. I slept like the dead for every night for about 6 months. Totally stopped my training and practically my life. I was basically out of commission for those 6 months. I have very little memory of those 6months. Thank God I had accumulated a lot of sick time over the years prior to my illness. Only as of this year can I say I am back to 100%. Get as much rest as you can. Take it seriously.
Dan

·
Just a little more.
832 Posts
It's nothing to play with. I've had it three times as well but the second time was the worst, basically a month and a half in bed/on couch. Doc's orders were to cut back on meat, expecially under cooked, eat move veggies and such. Never did feel quite right after the second bout. But it does get better.

·
Super Moderator
Psalm 34:4
23,534 Posts
I had it back in 1985, got it from a girl I was dating, started with a real high fever and I really don't remember much from there. My parents told me I was in bed and delusional for 6 weeks. Haven't had it since. I actually thought that once you've had it you carry it for the rest of your life but are immune to the effects of it. I guess I need to start reading up on it now.

·
Looks like rain to me.
41,428 Posts
I had it about 30+ yeaqrs ago. It kicked my butt for about 2 weeks. Weak as a kitten.

I wouldn't wish that on my worst enemy.

·
Registered
3,605 Posts
I had it when I was 14. Put me out of commission for a month and a half. I remember they had to put me on steroids to help keep my throat from swelling. It happened during summer break too. It was awful.

I got it from a girl. Do you think I learned to stay away from questionable chicks? Hell no! 2 years later and I got chlamydia, but that's another story.

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
I had mono in my early 20s (um, quite a few years ago!)

it was the oddest thing, I was completely out of commission for about 6 weeks. Then came Canada day. I was going to stay home, my mom suggested I just 'make an appearance'. Next thing I know I'm partying hard, went home around 4am and felt better than ever the next morning. I call it my Canada Day miracle LOL!

·
Right Hand Man
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for all the replies, I was better for a few weeks, but this last whole week i've seem to have relapsed.. And no appetite at all, execept a little bit in the evening. When will I get my appetite back? I can't afford to lose the weight. Also, Anyone try saunas as a treatment?

·
Almost home
589 Posts
If you have an understanding doctor try to get a prescription for Acyclovir, its investigational for infectious mononucleosis, primarily used for herpes down below and chickenpox. I believe it heped me alot when I was in my early 40's and had mono.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I hope not that I do belong to this. It can be so hard alone. On the other hand, less ressources needed by far, more control over the situation etc. of course..

·
myheart'sinthehighlands
726 Posts
I got Mono when I was pregnant with my first child (I got it from a phone receiver at work!) Being pregnant and having mono should not be allowed:(:D:

My son got mono twice in one year. So we took him to the surgeon and had his tonsils removed. That is what they are prescribing for people who are repeat mono contractors.

Chin up and remember dont share phones without wiping!

·
Right Hand Man
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks for the replies and support everyone! The worst symptoms seem to be over..Right now the main symptoms are malaise and fatigue, which i've heard can last for awhile after mono, which i hope it doesn't because i am normally very active, so it's hard to be so home bound and limited all the time. I noticed there's definatley a lot of horror stories on the net of people who claim they never recovered from mono. I suspect I'm not hearing the whole story from a lot of those people, there has to be an end to this!

·
My Temperature is Right
5,578 Posts
Thanks for all the replies, I was better for a few weeks, but this last whole week i've seem to have relapsed.. And no appetite at all, execept a little bit in the evening. When will I get my appetite back? I can't afford to lose the weight. Also, Anyone try saunas as a treatment?
Liver as raw as you can stand it. Ugh, I was down for 6 weeks.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts