Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
I adapt... I survive
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When one has investments (as in CD, IRA, mutual funds, etc), saving accounts, checking accounts and the financial/banking system is about to collapse... When would it be the time to get these out for your survival? is it even safe to get this money out or is it better not to touch it? I have not seen threads on this topic. I wouldn't feel very confident right now If I were to leave money in the system, I would rather take it out and find a place to securily store it so I can have quick accesss to it if I have to leave in a hurry (although I know this is a high risk also)....I just want to hear people's thoughts on this. Thank you!

·
Live Secret, Live Happy
16,089 Posts
I think you should liquidate the money you have in normal taxable investments right now. I pulled my stocks two years ago and now only have farm land, tangible goods, cash, and US bonds. I plan to sell the remainder of my bonds If we get a further drop in the price of gold.

Your tax deffered investments (IRAs) are another matter. If you pull this out before age 60 you pay a penalty and pay income taxes that year as well. Plus if you judge wrong you could end up with no retirement moneys at all. Might want to keep that money in the safest investment type you can find.

I have read about self directed IRAs and investing IRA money in gold and silver. Perhaps someone else has tried this.

·
Been there...
69 Posts
I have a similar situation wondering what and how much to liquidate. I try to keep a year's worth of living expenses in cash/CDs outside my IRAs and I keep 5 years of cash in a portion of my IRA. I'm planning on retiring in the next 1-2 years and I really want to have something in equities, just not be fully invested in them. Gold and silver are OK for bartering if/when the SHTF, but food, fuel, ammo and clothing are important to me. If you are retired, you can use the 72T rule to pull money out of your 401K w/o penalty.

·
Registered
552 Posts
I recently liquidated some things. I turned around and put most of that money into some home improvements which also serve as a type of prepping. Example, I put a fence up around the entire property. Great for when we bug-in, if we have to.

My last move was a 401k loan against my 401k. With that money I will be debt free, except for my mortgage and the 401k loan, which is money I owe to myself. It was the best way I could use money tied up in a 401k without being severly penalized. I'm only 32, so I still have plenty of time for the 401k to grow into a nice retirement fund. I'm really hoping it lasts that long :)

Only you can determine what's right for you and your family. You should definitely keep some cash at home and purchase some hard assets(precious metals). How much is another question ;) I'm doing the best I can to really limit my exposure if there's a monetary collapse, which I don't believe will actually happen. At the same time, I'm not totally abandoning traditional monetary practices (banks, retirement accounts, etc).

·
Registered
4,428 Posts
I would be nervous as hell right now if I had a semi-large amount of cash in a bank right now.

I think now is the time to convert all investments, plus cash, into something that is totally disconnected from the market, banking industry or real estate.

In the event of an economic collapse all of those would lose their value in a most severe way. We're living on top of a house of cards right now. One little push in the right (wrong) direction and it all comes tumbling down.

·
Registered
134 Posts
I suggest that you stay out of any gold or silver type IRA'S because they are without the hard assets (gold & silver ) to back them . We are basically printing our dollar into nothing . Hard assets in your hand is what you can trust .

Reactions: kemaeli

·
Registered
4,886 Posts
Hope for the best and expect the worst. You haven't quit your job, sold the house, and got a ranch in Montana yet.

Get a winter's worth of heating fuel, a years worth of food, and some extra cash around. Focus on removing your debt. Try to pay off the house a bit quicker than usual.

I really hate stocks. It just makes solid business sense and pushes it into the prom queen vote. Do your 5% or so 401k thing. But overall 1/3 into risky stuff, 1/3 in slow stuff, and 1/3 in the bank. My preps are coming out the risky account, so that risky side is close to zero right now. If everyone is pulling their money out hard, it will just be as useless as it will be later.

Keep aquiring more skills. IF your unemployed there are practical things you can do to make a buck without complicated tools or expensive material stocks. Basic handyman work, old world skills like small equipment repair or shoe repair, food prep and gardening skills. You money will dwindle to close to nothing, just a mtter of more or less time. Your ability to continue to keep going along with making a living and providing for yourself is more important.

Keep the savings as a cautious hope for the future. Just make sure you got the basics for awhile.

·
Opinionated old fart.
8,046 Posts
If you pull out of the market now you will lose profit. Stocks are on the rise. What if S does not HTF and you have no retirement? Everyone should have a tiered savings.

1. No credit card debt.
2. $500 cash in your household safe.
3. Pay off your car.
4. 3 to 6 months salary in a secure (FDIC backed) local account: CD's, money market, etc.
5. A diversified retirement fund.
6. Pay off your house.

Most people do not attain all of these until their 50's (or later). The earlier you get all these done, the better off you are. Think of it as the more you owe, the more of a slave/potential victim to the system you are.

·
Getting there....
1,231 Posts
I'm moving my 401k from stocks to fixed bonds because I believe the recent Dow rally has hit its peak. I think we're looking at a slide back down for a while because of low consumer confidence and high unemployment. The Christmas retailers are already getting scared.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Well, it's kinda difficult to give an opinion not knowing all the things and ways that you currently have it all structured in. Having said that, I don't think it would be an unwise move to have 6 months worth of expenses in a home safe, 6 months worth of expenses in Precious Metals, and another 6 months worth in the bank to go along with your (at least) 6 months worth of food and supplies, and water. Once you get all those set, then ask again.:)

CT

·
Registered
10 Posts
If you pull out of the market now you will lose profit. Stocks are on the rise. What if S does not HTF and you have no retirement? Everyone should have a tiered savings.

1. No credit card debt.
2. $500 cash in your household safe.
3. Pay off your car.
4. 3 to 6 months salary in a secure (FDIC backed) local account: CD's, money market, etc.
5. A diversified retirement fund.
6. Pay off your house.

Most people do not attain all of these until their 50's (or later). The earlier you get all these done, the better off you are. Think of it as the more you owe, the more of a slave/potential victim to the system you are.
Good advice for all times.

·
Registered
6,092 Posts
i think they will make a effort to shore up the dallor. kill gold oil etc a last ditch effort..buy commodities when this happens .and get out of the us dallor then . better yet buy pm in the pirth mint.and move to aussi or newzealand .when you finally realize the us is toast. soon most americans awake will have only two choices stand and fight or flee with what ya have left. sad but true

1 - 16 of 16 Posts