Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Awesome
17,086 Posts
this isnt an amazing feat by any stretch, nothing was ever stopping AKs from having quick change barrels, you could have EASILY gone with an interrupted thread like the AUG uses, and retain the barrel in position with the receiver end of the gas tube assemble when the rifle is installed.. and voila, quick change barrels and "multi caliber".. however, for decades we've relied solely on parts manufactured for military contracts and these features have never been important to military.. theyre more useful for civilians

as AK surplus dries up and we start seeing more new production components, expect to see more innovations too

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
this isnt an amazing feat by any stretch, nothing was ever stopping AKs from having quick change barrels, you could have EASILY gone with an interrupted thread like the AUG uses, and retain the barrel in position with the receiver end of the gas tube assemble when the rifle is installed.. and voila, quick change barrels and "multi caliber".. however, for decades we've relied solely on parts manufactured for military contracts and these features have never been important to military.. theyre more useful for civilians

as AK surplus dries up and we start seeing more new production components, expect to see more innovations too
Problem is with the VEPR being on the ban list its highly doubtful we even get see these over here lol.:(

·
Awesome
17,086 Posts
Problem is with the VEPR being on the ban list its highly doubtful we even get see these over here lol.:(
no, not these specifically, but when the domestic market is forced to pick up here the surplus market leaves off, you can expect to see things like this.. and more.. ive even designed a few of my own changes to the AK where after i have land and a new home, and get the machine shop i want built i might actually start implementing into my future AK builds

the features i designed for myself were to use a threaded trunnion and threaded barrels with a locking collar same as the savage bolt action rifles use.. the idea here is not to be quick change or multi caliber but simply make rifle construction and replacing shot out barrels essentially tool free..

aside from that change to the front trunnion a simple increase in the height of the ledge the front of the magazine clips to and you can make a 5.56 AK 100% compatible with galil magazines..

and the third feature was a complete removal of the AK rear sight block to go with a galil/saiga gas tube setup to reduce weight and make it overall more rail friendly

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
no, not these specifically, but when the domestic market is forced to pick up here the surplus market leaves off, you can expect to see things like this.. and more.. ive even designed a few of my own changes to the AK where after i have land and a new home, and get the machine shop i want built i might actually start implementing into my future AK builds

the features i designed for myself were to use a threaded trunnion and threaded barrels with a locking collar same as the savage bolt action rifles use.. the idea here is not to be quick change or multi caliber but simply make rifle construction and replacing shot out barrels essentially tool free..

aside from that change to the front trunnion a simple increase in the height of the ledge the front of the magazine clips to and you can make a 5.56 AK 100% compatible with galil magazines..

and the third feature was a complete removal of the AK rear sight block to go with a galil/saiga gas tube setup to reduce weight and make it overall more rail friendly
You need to start a Youtube channel & make some videos on your project, a lot of people would love to see it. :thumb:

·
Registered
7,146 Posts
Unfortunately we'll never see anything from Molot/Vepr in the US ever again...

Unless they completely separate themselves from Kalashnikov concern and move to another country, which isn't very likely because when they went bankrupt they were bought by Kalashnikov Concern which immediately placed on them US import ban list...

I'm not interested in US made AK's either because my whole reason for having AK's is I want com-bloc (or ex-com-bloc). If wanted something American made I'd buy an A/R etc...

·
Awesome
17,086 Posts
You need to start a Youtube channel & make some videos on your project, a lot of people would love to see it. :thumb:
all these things are possible, most require making design changes and manufacturing new trunnions.. with a market that has almost exclusively relied on parts made for military contracts, and the military never having any use for such features, they never had the reason to build such a thing.. now that civilians will begin taking over production as surplus dries up, who knows what you will see being made here in the near future

i have seen domestically produced trunnions in the US before, some small shops, probably individuals were selling 4140 machined front trunnions and were able to sell them for about $90/each, which is competitive with what KVAR sells military front trunnions for

i wont have my own machine shop put together for at least another 5 years, and i think if im going to go through the effort of making parts im probably going to move away from the AK entirely and focus on something thats even simpler, and more small shop friendly

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Unless they completely separate themselves from Kalashnikov concern and move to another country, which isn't very likely because when they went bankrupt they were bought by Kalashnikov Concern which immediately placed on them US import ban list...

I'm not interested in US made AK's either because my whole reason for having AK's is I want com-bloc (or ex-com-bloc). If wanted something American made I'd buy an A/R etc...
I picked one of these up recently new in the box, no longer being imported either. My dealer had 4 at the time i picked mine up.

I took that cheesy buttstock off lol. :thumb:

·
Awesome
17,086 Posts
an AR-15 magazine properly aligned inside the AK action means one of two things.. either a significant portion of the lower locking lug has been machined away to clear the front edge of the AR-15 mag, or your AR-15 mags have been filed down to clear it... and honestly, if i were to buy an AR-15 mag adapter for an AK id much prefer to have to file down the front of an AR-15 mag for it to fit than to remove material from the locking lug which is typically what is done

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
an AR-15 magazine properly aligned inside the AK action means one of two things.. either a significant portion of the lower locking lug has been machined away to clear the front edge of the AR-15 mag, or your AR-15 mags have been filed down to clear it... and honestly, if i were to buy an AR-15 mag adapter for an AK id much prefer to have to file down the front of an AR-15 mag for it to fit than to remove material from the locking lug which is typically what is done

·
Premium Member
12,587 Posts
There seems to be a trend, modular multi caliber rifle platforms are becoming more prolific. I recently picked up a Windham MCS-4 used in perfect condition. Both The Molot and Windham are interesting from an engineering perspective and the Windham is a very fine example of this.

Here's the Windham MCS version for comparison: http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/20...-weaponry-multi-caliber-system-ar-rifle-rmcs/

·
Registered
1,760 Posts

Kalashnikov is about to be majority privately owned and ultimately will be 100% private

1 - 14 of 14 Posts