Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got this baby yesterday! I was part of the initial Molle gear test (25thID Cco 1/21) back in '01... we beat the hell out of the stuff, broke a few, and they ended up coming up with MolleII. They eventually let us keep our test gear, that was like pulling teeth, and I sold mine, like a dumbass, for $200 bucks as I was ETSing. The stuff is good gear, guess what I paid for this set off E-bay. $59.00!! No kidding. No LBV, no assault pack... just the main pack, two side pouches, the bottom cinch bag (for sleeping bag) and a sleeping mat. $59 is a freaking steal. I am going to be paying alot more attention to Ebay from now on. Now I can retire the old Alice pack, or use it as a back up.

EQV

·
Registered
372 Posts
I got out in 97 and so never was introduced to the molle gear.

I am slow in adapting to it, as it seems like a gimmick to me and since I have not ever used it I suppose I do not understand its value.

It seems over priced and just another "new trend" item that everyone wants to have to keep up with the "jones" so to speak.

I'd love someone to sell me on its advanatages over traditional surplus gear. My old alice packs are rugged as all hell, and I can secure anything to them I ever wanted without having all of those elastic band thingies sticking all over the place to snag everything. At least thats how they appear to me.

And I'm not dissing your purchase at all, sorry if it seems negative, your post got me curious, it sounds like you got a great deal compared to what they normally sell for and Im happy for you, Im just honestly curious and have no practical experience with this gear.

·
It's a Jeep Thing
211 Posts
Sounds like a pretty good deal. I've been thinking about upgrading from my Alice to Molle for a while now.
Do you have any pics or a link that you can post?

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I got out in 97 and so never was introduced to the molle gear.

I am slow in adapting to it, as it seems like a gimmick to me and since I have not ever used it I suppose I do not understand its value.

It seems over priced and just another "new trend" item that everyone wants to have to keep up with the "jones" so to speak.

I'd love someone to sell me on its advanatages over traditional surplus gear. My old alice packs are rugged as all hell, and I can secure anything to them I ever wanted without having all of those elastic band thingies sticking all over the place to snag everything. At least thats how they appear to me.

And I'm not dissing your purchase at all, sorry if it seems negative, your post got me curious, it sounds like you got a great deal compared to what they normally sell for and Im happy for you, Im just honestly curious and have no practical experience with this gear.
Hey Garra,

Well, as you know... no gear is perfect, and when I first saw the Molle stuff, with its plastic (polymer) frame, and complex assembly, I was like "Screw this garbage!" But after packing it incrementally up to 120lbs and marching with it, I was truly impressed. Granted at the upper end, with 120lbs in it, no ruck is fun to wear, but it held together, and kept the weight on your lower back and off your shoulders (to an impressive degree anyway). We did break a few frames(mine held) and they eventually changed the frame slightly, I think they beefed it up somewhat, maybe tweaked the polymer formula a little... don't quote me on that, I don't work for SpecialtyDefenseSystems. Mine performed flawlessly so I am confident the improved MolleII will also. There are no elastic bands on the gear that I am aware of. There are some long straps that accomodate extra large loads, they can be rolled and tucked as I had to do with the Alice gear straps as well. The modularity of the system comes from the strips of nylon webbing stitched(very stongly stitched) onto the exterior of the pack. They allow compatible, and often not intentionally compatible gear to be attached to the pack in the place of your choosing. I will be experimenting with attachment points for some extra gear I want on my ExtendedBOB. Most notably a drag bag with my Rem700 in it, I should be able to attach it vertically on one side or the other, as long as the other side is counterbalanced. I am so glad to be free from the constraints of "command" and I can set my gear up how I want it. The suspension system on the Molle gear does an excellent job of distributing weight and keeping the focal point lower on your back, not up high or dead on your shoulders. And the thick lumbar pad keeps that weight from concentrating on too small an area on your lower back, helping to distribute it onto your hips. All in all, I was very pleased with the system. It can be customized and adjusted to suit just about anyone. If you can't afford a top of the line set-up like a Kifaru,(edit: like me!) then I think this is truly a great option. Compare $500-$600 and a long wait for Kifaru (great gear, not knocking them AT ALL) to $79 and a week for the MolleII. I do believe the max capacity on the bigger Kifaru packs is quite a bit larger, but I'm not planning on carrying over 100lbs, at least I hope not. I'll keep you updated on the evolution of this set-up. Take care and drive on.

Sincerely, EQV

·
Registered
372 Posts
Thanks for taking time for a well thought out response EQV. Certainly some food for thought. Looking forward to reading your thoughts on the ruck once you get it.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for taking time for a well thought out response EQV. Certainly some food for thought. Looking forward to reading your thoughts on the ruck once you get it.
Garra,
I got it yesterday, thus the post. I wanted to see it and make sure it was "as advertised" before telling the board about what I saw as a great deal. It is in near new condition, all straps and fastneners in good condition, no tears, no apparent wear whatsoever. I am totally satisifed with the purchase, and would be still at $79 instead of the earlier price I paid of $59. Of course they get these in lots from govt. auction sites, so read the description of the product FROM THAT GIVEN LOT. They may vary. As I stated before, I will update when the rig is in some semblance of completion. Now I need to find a quality mil-grade first-aid/medic bag, and a suture kit. The kit I have now is essentially a stop-gap, commercial special, and not really up to my standards. Take care.

Sincerely, EQV

·
dum dum
1,249 Posts
For those of you that do not know, there is an Ebay RSS feed at this link - http://www.survivalistboards.com/store.php Its under the amazon portal.

If you dont see what you want in the feed, just use the search box.
Not to hijack the thread...I am quite interested in that ruck...but Kev, is there a benefit to this site to use the RSS feed? If so, I'll be more than glad to do my ebaying through there...

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey guys got me thinking of purchasing a molle instead of an alice pack, seems that the same guy is still selling certain versions with the same stuff maybee more for 59.00, you have to definetely read carefully as stated above.
Link to other auction.
Also I think that if you buy through the feed it will benefit the board$:thumb:

·
dum dum
1,249 Posts
Does anyone have a good online source for Alice Pack parts? My hipbelt buckle is broken, and the "kidney pads" could stand to be replaced...if it was cost effective I'd rather mend than replace...

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
Does anyone have a good online source for Alice Pack parts? My hipbelt buckle is broken, and the "kidney pads" could stand to be replaced...if it was cost effective I'd rather mend than replace...
www.tacticaltailor.com :thumb::thumb:
grrreat site. new straps and everything you could ever want to upgrade your alice pack. they will add on new pouches, bottom extension, internal hydro bladder pouch and oh yeah, they have new straps and i think hip belts too. you can even order a new improved version of the old alice pack and in multicam too. :cool:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts