Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Tire Biter
496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am considering adapting my extra Safariland ALS duty holster to molle carry on my plate carrier. Wondering if anyone has had experience carrying a pistol on molle straps, particularly with regard to weapon retention.

The holster is a level II retention holster and will carry a Glock 22 with weapon light. I am concerned that trusting my gun to 2 molle straps with snaps will basically negate the retention features of the holster in a hands on situation. I am also concerned that this particular holster, which is kind of bulky, might catch on something and the two snaps will pop loose. I have had this happen on molle mag pouches, and although the pouches stayed on, it doesn't inspire confidence for weapon retention.

Anyone know of a system, factory or improvised, for secure retention of molle straps? Has anyone carried this way in the field, and if so, any issues?

Thanks

·
Tire Biter
496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
77 views and not a single idea? lol. One idea that just crossed my mind are zip-ties cinching the molle straps tight to the back of the molle adapter plate after the straps are snapped. If the strap can't pull away from the back of the plate, the snaps can't pop. But then again, zip-ties can break, especially on hard edges like the the edge of the molle adapter plate.

Could also peen the snaps so they are difficult or impossible to pop, but I may need to move the holster around on the carrier before I find just the right position, so permanently fixing the straps is a less desirable option.

Also considered building my own adapter using Kydex as a back plate and adjustable web cinch straps instead of regular molle snap closures. A lot of work, but might be the best option?

The carrier causes issues with my usual mid-rise belt carry position, and I am not a fan of thigh holsters, hence the plate carrier option. Plus it makes for a good grab-n-go rig. Any input from a fresh pair of proverbial eyes is appreciated.

·
Semper Fi
2,808 Posts
If you are familiar with the SLS system, go for it. Tighten down the retention screws to add friction. The SLS does not take much to un-hood itself and fall out. It would not be my choice. If it wasnt for the dirt in the holster problem with the SERPA I'd say that would be a better option. There really is no good option.

Make it quick detach- you may need to dump your armor and boogie.

·
Tire Biter
496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If you are familiar with the SLS system, go for it. Tighten down the retention screws to add friction. The SLS does not take much to un-hood itself and fall out. It would not be my choice. If it wasnt for the dirt in the holster problem with the SERPA I'd say that would be a better option. There really is no good option.

Make it quick detach- you may need to dump your armor and boogie.
Thanks,
I carry the SLS/ALS system on the job. The hood isn't really my concern. The issue is with mounting the holster to the armor. Two molle strap snap closures is not much retention. I'm concerned that the entire holster will be able to be relatively easily pulled off the armor. I'm looking for ideas for how to secure the molle straps so their snaps can't come loose, and/or prevent the straps from sliding out of the molle webbing.

·
Tire Biter
496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Safariland makes a locking molle system. Maybe that would help you.

http://www.safariland.com/dutygear/duty/mls.aspx
Thanks! I saw one of these on ebay and didn't realize it locked. It's adjustable for angle too, which I like. May have to try one of those. The weak point now is the molle webbing stitching itself. If I use this adapter, and add some heavy duty upholstery thread gusseting to the armor molle webbing, it should be pretty dang tough. Thanks again.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Thanks! I saw one of these on ebay and didn't realize it locked. It's adjustable for angle too, which I like. May have to try one of those. The weak point now is the molle webbing stitching itself. If I use this adapter, and add some heavy duty upholstery thread gusseting to the armor molle webbing, it should be pretty dang tough. Thanks again.
I recently found a nice cross-draw MOLLE holster for my chest rig. It looks great, but (as you mentioned above) it only has two straps. My chest rig does not have a really snug fit, so the holster and gun tend to flop around. The retention strap is a must, lol. If your rig is tight and snug, two straps will probably work ok.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts