Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was looking at the Molle and Alice packs. I know the Molle has replaced the Alice pack, but I think i might like the Alice packs. Does one have any advantages over the other?

·
Semper non compos mentis
1,578 Posts
All my gear uses ALICE clips, so when i buy something I stick to that format.
Same for me - all my stuff is ALICE.

I have looked at the newer Molle kit, which clearly must have some tactical advantages over the ALICE or it shouldn't have displaced it. But I also have a nostalgic attachment to old Alice and will stick with her. She's a relatively cheap old girl too.

In the end, either one is fine though mate. Pick one and stick with it.

·
Registered
488 Posts
There are many packs in use today, there is no one MOLLE pack.
We have ILBE packs but recon guys have something smaller and the Army has 20 something packs.

·
Registered
839 Posts
I use both. I have a Medium Alice for summer and a new MOLLE II for winter. However, I do like the MOLLE attachments over the Alice because there is no metal and they are much easier to use.

·
Isaiah 41:10, Acts 5:29
5,539 Posts
I like ALICE because it fits (even tho I am really short), is durable, easy to repair, and I have left-over space in a medium in case I want to carry foragings or extra water that I find along the way. I also like the cargo shelf because it was made for a (full) 5-gallon fuel can or (full) ammo cans. The ALICE pack can be carried without the frame, so it is a possibility if a frame bothers you. The only thing I don't like is IF it tears, it's never on a seam. Mine took over 16 years of use/abuse/outdoors exposure to do this, so I was satisfied (especially since it was free), even though I had to spend time repairing it.

The good thing about MOLLE is it is current use/issue, so the manufacturers are making packs and accessories for military/police/fire/EMS, so there are a variety of colors and configurations/accessories/pouches available.

I was out of the military before MOLLE came along, so I am very, very biased.

·
Registered
6,885 Posts
I like both. Here in Canada ALICE is still pretty easy to find milsurp, but MOLLE is becoming more easy to find as knockoffs and such start making it.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I used to be a die hard ALICE fan but that was mostly because that's what I learned on. However my latest gear purchase was MOLLE; from what I had been reading it was an improvement and I figured it couldn't hurt to find out for sure by just trying it out.

I don't intend to replace other ALICE gear immediately (my LBE for example), it's still serviceable and something I'm used to.

·
Super Moderator
Psalm 34:4
23,534 Posts
All my stuff is surplus molle, I went with it over the Alice because less metal means less noise and weight. I used to have some Alice stuff but never much cared for it rattling around. None of my molle gear has zippers, its all drawstring and clip locks or snaps. I avoid the stuff with Velcro fasteners because Velcro is to noisy

·
Registered
4,331 Posts
The molle medium packs when you can find them are super nice.

As for alice packs they are good packs I have a tactical tailor malice pack. Upgraded frame bag and pads and a freight hauler things huge.

But I tend to use that for a combat role. I tend to use a gregory wine 95 for camping and whatnot.
but I prefer alice to full size molle rifleman pack but the molle mediums are real nice

·
Registered
456 Posts
I used to be a die hard ALICE fan but that was mostly because that's what I learned on. However my latest gear purchase was MOLLE; from what I had been reading it was an improvement and I figured it couldn't hurt to find out for sure by just trying it out.

I don't intend to replace other ALICE gear immediately (my LBE for example), it's still serviceable and something I'm used to.
Does the lack of separate compartments on the ILBE bother u? Does me some, I'll have to molle on some side compartments I guess, just seems more organized with a few compartments

1 - 20 of 44 Posts