Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got the Molle II w/ frame and the sleeping compartment and the pouches for about $70 on ebay. I finally found a marine to help me assemble it etc. But some people are telling me it's too bulky and too outdated.

Do you think I made the right decision or is there a better BOB I should get/should have gotten?

What does your wife/gf have or use for her BOB?

Thanks.

·
Registered
839 Posts
I recently purchased the MOLLE II from ebay as well. I like it so far. I am going to use it for my winter BOB due to its size. The pack is a little bulky, however its not outdated, they are current issue. Does the pack fit you well? Once loaded can you carry it comfortably? What is your main purpose for the pack, ie, BOB, backpacking etc?
If you find that the pack is too bulky for you, you can always get the older ALICE pack. I have used one for years as well as many other people, and I like it as well. It is not as bulky and the frame is shorter. It weighs about the same though overall. As long as you keep the weight down in the MOLLE II, I dont think you will have a problem. They are big so keep from filling it up.

·
Registered
4,090 Posts
The frame is going to run big for a woman,unless she is a bigger framed girl.Don't mean fat,either.The packs were designed for well fed troops,average size close to 6 foot.They are a pretty nice set up,a bit on the heavy side,but rugged.And they have a zillion attachment points.It would be nice if ALICE large would attach to it.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Well I'm 5'3 and slender. So when I fill up my Molle II, I'm walking weird and trying not to tip over. So I probably have to cut it down to 40-50lbs and not pack as much.

I intended to use it as my BOB and I have a lot of stuff to carry :-( .

·
Registered
4,318 Posts
how does a pack get out dated.. if it carrys what you need were you need it and the weight is in the right areas its a good back regardless of how old it's... i still use my dads back pack he bought him and my mom the same pack so they can backpack when they were younger and still works great 20 years later..

·
Registered
4,090 Posts
They don't get outdated.Obsoleted,yes.Surplused,yes.

It would be a big setup for a 5'3" woman. You might be better suited to get a pack tailored to your size.

·
veldskoen no socks
2,715 Posts
how does a pack get out dated.. if it carrys what you need were you need it and the weight is in the right areas its a good back regardless of how old it's... i still use my dads back pack he bought him and my mom the same pack so they can backpack when they were younger and still works great 20 years later..
Agree with this.
My wife wont carry a ruck sack unless it folds out to be the Hilton hotel with hot and cold running water with laundry facilities.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts