Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Forum Administrator
16,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just ordered a surplus MOLLE II Patrol Assault Pack off ebay, does not include the stiffener.

Do I need to order the stiffener?

I saw a video with a similar pack that had a frame. So, I am a little confused. Is the frame being called a stiffener?

Here is the pack I ordered.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/253016816303

·
Registered
2,576 Posts
Probably just a frame sheet- either plastic or closed cell foam. Looks like in picture 7 there is a white sheet in a pocket. For a small pack like this I wouldn't sweat it, try it as is and if you feel the need cut a piece of plastic or foam to fit the pocket and see how that feels. I have a Lowe alpine strike which is a (larger) frame sheet style pack, I just cut a small piece of green foam sleep pad and that works well. It also doubles as a sit/kneel pad in camp and under my feet in the hammock in freezing temps.
I've never seen these on a frame but unless I'm mistaken they usually piggyback onto the larger molle pack which does have a plastic frame.

·
Forum Administrator
16,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Semper Fi
1,838 Posts
The entire system is composed of a Fighting Load Carrier (vest), a Waist Pack, a Large Ruck and an Assault Pack. The Waist Pack is supposed to be worn as an extension to the FLC (vest) and the Assault Pack is supposed to piggy-back off the Large Ruck. None of this takes into account Armor though.

The Large Ruck uses an external frame while the Assault Pack does not.

I bought an Assault Pack off eBay not too long ago and it came with the stiffener. It is basically a fitted foam pad that cushions the Assault Pack to your back when it is worn separately.

Mark

Attachments

·
Only politics *****.
5,496 Posts
The entire system is composed of a Fighting Load Carrier (vest), a Waist Pack, a Large Ruck and an Assault Pack. The Waist Pack is supposed to be worn as an extension to the FLC (vest) and the Assault Pack is supposed to piggy-back off the Large Ruck. None of this takes into account Armor though.

The Large Ruck uses an external frame while the Assault Pack does not.

I bought an Assault Pack off eBay not too long ago and it came with the stiffener. It is basically a fitted foam pad that cushions the Assault Pack to your back when it is worn separately.

Mark
Most of that actually takes into account armor, since that goes over the clothing. A bullet/stab resistant vest is supposed to be the reason packs like this need less padding etc.

It's the reason i'd never buy actual military packs. They are designed to be used in conjunction with certain other gear. Without that gear it's basically durable crap.

·
Forum Administrator
16,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Pack came in today, seems it is a first generation pack.

nsn 8465-01-465-2088

From what I understand:

First generation has a draw cord on the outer pouch.

Second generation has a zipper on the outer pouch.

Looking over images and videos, there seems to have been a lot of changes to the patrol pack over the years. One video shows the outer pocket to have an inner pouch. The outer pocket on mine does not have an inner pouch.

Mine does not hae an opening for hydration bladder.

·
Semper Fi
1,838 Posts
Kev,
I have NSN 8465-01-524-5250. It has zippers, no draw cords.

There is a main compartment which only has a single inside sleeve (this is where my stiffener & pad are located). The outside has a large zippered pocket on the front that has a smaller pocket on the inside & outside of it. On closer exam, I just located another sleeve on the outside where the pack would be against your back (the stiffener & pad are too big to fit into this sleeve and would interfere with the shoulder straps).

Next to the top handle on each side, I have a Velcro covered opening that must be for the hydration bladder.

Could you share the link for the video you mentioned?? I have found lots of literature & material about the large rucksack's use but almost nothing about the Assault pack and how to put one together as designed. Thanks.

Mark

·
Forum Administrator
16,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Could you share the link for the video you mentioned?? I have found lots of literature & material about the large rucksack's use but almost nothing about the Assault pack and how to put one together as designed. Thanks.

Mark
It was a few days ago, do not know if I can find it again.

·
Semper Fi
1,838 Posts
Thanks.....I'm back at work today (long holiday weekend) where I have bandwidth for streaming video and I've watched a couple of YouTube videos that explain some of the features.

In one article I found, the guy says the velcro openings at the top of the pack that everyone uses for a hydration bladder are not how it was designed to be used. If you look at that inside pocket that holds the stiffener pad, my pack also has a pair of canvas cargo straps. He says those velcro openings are for pulling the cargo straps out of the inside of the pack for airborne troops to use to allow for more rigging options. It's a side benefit that you can also put a hydration bladder in that same pocket and use the velcro openings to access the drinking tube.

Mark

·
Registered
79 Posts
@kev

Have you considered looking at the lightweight frames used in sub 30L rucksacks.

I know Military surplus is a mine field however many of the old and previously used aluminium stiffener or frames are now heavy duty high impact plastic.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

1 - 11 of 11 Posts