Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Pro's / Con's etc? I know MOLLE gear is widely used, but I would like to hear actually reviews about it...I have some MOLLE webbing on my pack, but its not a MOLLE pack, so if its crap, I'm not overly worried about it. But I know very little about it...

Thanks for the input!

·
Registered
913 Posts
MOLLE is the standard. It provides a tremendous amount of flexibility and even cheap pouches secure very well to the webbing. I love mine and have dropped everything in favor of it, both professionally and personally.

·
Banned
1,130 Posts
i have a molle vest that i have several pouches on, a first aid pouch as well. pistol holster and a 8 mag pouch for my ak-47. i really like the vest because everything is right there, the only problem i have with it is i cannot wear it and a pack with support rack [IE: alice pack.] at the same time. i have also seen some really nice military duffel bags at the surplus store with molle straps and such on them, but i already have enough bags so i tought it useless to buy.

·
Registered
5,163 Posts
Molle is expensive stuff. The pouches I have on my Pygmy Falcon cost more than the pack. They do tighten down pretty good, don't they. I have a Molle plate carrier for work and it was tough to set up but it's very nice and adaptable.

5.11 has the cheapest pouches, and they are of decent quality. I have a bunch. They work well and are all $10-$20 instead of $30, $40 and $50.

The normal load bearing vest is fine, though. Slimline and you know where everything is all the time, no matter which weapon system you are running.

·
Registered
8,228 Posts
i have never owned a molly vest and im leary of getting one if you got all those pouches on your chest it seems to me it would be hard to get down low when laying on the ground with all that on your chest

·
Registered
913 Posts
They make MOLLE belt rigs too, like the old Izzy battle belt and the alice style. Just different attachment styles.

·
Banned
1,130 Posts
i have never owned a molly vest and im leary of getting one if you got all those pouches on your chest it seems to me it would be hard to get down low when laying on the ground with all that on your chest
it is. it's actually kinda useless to tell the truth, spent around $80 on it at surplus store and kinda regret it.

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
Pro's / Con's etc? I know MOLLE gear is widely used, but I would like to hear actually reviews about it...I have some MOLLE webbing on my pack, but its not a MOLLE pack, so if its crap, I'm not overly worried about it. But I know very little about it...

Thanks for the input!
The durability of the MOLLE webbing depends heavily on who makes it.

It's nice for versatility, but it's not the "end all, be all"...

Versatility is its strongest attribute.

Typically, unless there is a "fire-sale" going on, you get what you pay for.

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
it is. it's actually kinda useless to tell the truth, spent around $80 on it at surplus store and kinda regret it.
Even still, a chest harness is probably the way to go, if you want the ability to go prone and still maintain versatility.

It's when all your crap sits in the front on your waist/stomach that it gets in the way in the prone position. If it's up on your chest when you shoulder the weapon in the prone, it's not as bad.

I can say first hand that using traditional web gear sucks if your inside a vehicle because you are sitting on all your gear...a chest harness allows easier access to your mags....

It's all defined by the intended use of the item.

·
Banned
1,130 Posts
Even still, a chest harness is probably the way to go, if you want the ability to go prone and still maintain versatility.

It's when all your crap sits in the front on your waist/stomach that it gets in the way in the prone position. If it's up on your chest when you shoulder the weapon in the prone, it's not as bad.

I can say first hand that using traditional web gear sucks if your inside a vehicle because you are sitting on all your gear...a chest harness allows easier access to your mags....

It's all defined by the intended use of the item.
well, i have not yet had a chance to use it in the field, i was planning on taking the vest with me on my first camping trip this spring to try and test our. i will just have to pack it in because i can't find a way to wear the vest and my alice pack at the same time.

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
well, i have not yet had a chance to use it in the field, i was planning on taking the vest with me on my first camping trip this spring to try and test our. i will just have to pack it in because i can't find a way to wear the vest and my alice pack at the same time.
In all actuality, I have used a MOLLE vest with storage pouches for things other than SHTF related stuff...

I use mine all the time for river fishing/fly fishing. I don't need to carry a backpack and the weight is evenly distributed for comfort.

I'm willing to be you'll really like the added space.

·
Registered
913 Posts
Chest harnesses are the standard for military forces (it attaches to your armor), especially SOF. We get 4 different rigs with our issues, 2 belt kits and two chest rigs (one plate carrier, one integrated armor system). Sure they keep you up off the ground but we are training more and more to go away from going prone unless it is an absolute emergency and there is no other cover. When you go prone your movement up is slowed down and you provide a vertical target. So it is either kneeling or behind cover, so the height of your chest and butt don't matter so much.

YMMV.

·
Spook
426 Posts
MOLLE is very versatile. First my advice is its better to have good quality MOLLE webbing on your pack or vest. The MOLLE attachments can be any type of quality cause mostly the webbing will take the strain not the attachment.

Right now I have a Camelbak H.A.W.G. I have a pouch that I bought from Flyye attach to my pack. it fits on perfectly even though they are different brands. They are both made from 1000D cordura and the webbing clearance is perfect.

·
Registered
2,461 Posts

Thanks for the input!
We had the load bearing vests thats what i would still use.I still use a china man chest harness for paintball.

·
Banned
1,130 Posts
http://www.govsurplusstore.com/inde...ion=com_virtuemart&Itemid=2&vmcchk=1&Itemid=2

I just got this toady and I LOVE IT.

ALICE just got kicked out the back door in favor of MOLLE
that is the same vest i own, except the one i have is in ACU. i got it in very good condition from the local military Surplus store for $15. but i had to buy my own pouches to put on it. witch they had hundreds of. including a first aid kit that was still stocked with military first aid stuff. each pouch was like $2-$4 each.

·
Truth = Trolling Here
209 Posts
Molle is the way to go. I would suggest that you buy a Plate Carrier with Webbing/MOLLE, and then you can save up for the plates which can be expensive. Or worst case SHTF scenario you might be able to Hill Billy Armor yourself (steel plates). If you ever do buy a vest by itself, you will find it quickly get irritating have that extra non connecter later on top. But you will feel a whole new layer of security with it on.

Sorry I might have over emphasized on the bullet proof part but there is a reason the military uses it.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Go to an Surplus store near a Base or Post and they might have a used bin - I get good to almost new pouches for $3-$6. Even got a Tactical Taylor for $2.
Most of them in my area are ACU but every now and then there is a tan or woodland in the bin.

·
Founder
16,867 Posts
I do not understand what the big deal is with molle - I have some maxpedition packs with molle - PALS on it,, and I dont see what all the hype is.

Maybe its the vest with all of the molle attachment points that everyone likes?? I don't know.

Maybe its having the webbing on both sides of a pouch, so you can attach more pouches? Unlike the alice stuff that had webbing on one side most of the time.

If you take a backpack and attach a canteen, whether its alice or molle - the canteen is still attached to the pack.

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
I do not understand what the big deal is with molle - I have some maxpedition packs with molle - PALS on it,, and I dont see what all the hype is.

Maybe its the vest with all of the molle attachment points that everyone likes?? I don't know.

Maybe its having the webbing on both sides of a pouch, so you can attach more pouches? Unlike the alice stuff that had webbing on one side most of the time.

If you take a backpack and attach a canteen, whether its alice or molle - the canteen is still attached to the pack.
Exactly how I feel. I don't get why people pay so much more for molle gear when you can buy cheaper stuff and achieve the same result. To each his own I guess.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts