Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
OTG
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sometime this or next month I will be headin up the coast (California) to Fort Bragg, Mendocino county for a few months. I will be staying in the woods (Russian Gulch I believe).

Surprisingly, I havent stayed in Mendocino before but I've stayed in Humboldt and the weather one fall knocked my socks off!

Rain for 4-5 days at a time. Not to mention building camp on the wrong side of the hill :( duh

Anyway, MOLD MOVED IN!!!!

I left my tent for a day, zipped up but with vents open, and when I came back there was white fuzz and what looked like spider webs on everything!

I live out of my backpack so I prefer staying in dry places. I also normally use only a tarp and bug net/tapestry. That being said I need some advice on keeping my tent mildew/mold free when I have to leave it set up for long periods of time.

Thx
EW

·
-
1,485 Posts
is your tent/tarp factory treated with waterproofing? such treatments usually mean to prevent mold/mildew b/c moisture build up is what facilitates it in the first place. you can use vinegar to remove it. as far as prevention, plenty of air circulation (maybe leave the door opened) and retreat with something like nikwax.

·
Gypsy in the Midwest
1,156 Posts
Mold will also grow if the items already have mold spores. Wash everything with something that will kill mold. Bleach, hydrogen peroxide, & vinegar (undiluted) will kill mold. Vinegar is probably best for most synthetic cloth like tents, sleeping bags, etc. Bleach can weaken fabric. Vinegar can also be used on wool or natural fibers and won't stain or damage your stuff. Spray it all down & let it sit for 1 hour (or more). Then wash and dry as per the items instructions. So make sure your tent/gear are clean & dry before you go.

Some people swear by grape seed extract or tea tree oil as mold preventions.

If your stuff gets wet, try to let it dry in the sun (if possible).

Set up the tarp over your tent. This will help with keeping the water out.

·
OTG
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
is your tent/tarp factory treated with waterproofing?
That tent was not.

I hate to admit it, but it was an Ozark Trail that I got at Walmart for 25 bucks:headshake:

But the problem wasn't water getting in as I had a good tarp setup, it was just so brutally humid! You could see mist everywhere. I had no idea until I got back and everything was ruined!

Thanks for the vinegar tip!

Just spray it with diluted vinegar and wash it off with water? Spray bottle?

I just ordered a Mountain Hardwear Lightwedge 2 which is seam sealed/taped and guaranteed watertight.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts