Survivalist Forum banner

Modular Bag?

Tags
bob packs
6K views 25 replies 12 participants last post by  se'kunchance 
#1 ·
So, this Saturday in Hawaii we had a "Tsunami Warning". My current BOB is a SnugPak which is extremely comfortable, but basically it's one big compartment. I went to grab my pack and realized that I didn't need half of that stuff. So, I went through and pulled out the items that I didn't need, grabbed the rest and left. Thankfully, the Tsunami turned out to be no big deal.

This made me wonder, though, if there was a way to have a more modular BOB. I could compartmentalize each module for different things, then kind of pick and choose what I need more quickly.

I'm sure there are some good military style pack systems but I'd like to avoid them if possible, there are a lot of mixed opinions on the military here.

Any ideas or suggestions? I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks

#3 ·
I use these in my BOB:

http://www.coleman.com/product/waterproof-pouches/2000007846#.UJB8BG_A8lE

They are supposedly waterproof, and I'm sure if I dropped them in the drink they would be, but I like them because they let me create modular packets of things in my BOB.

I have one for firestarting stuff (a small one), another for hygiene items, another for things like bug spray, sunscreen, mosquito head net, and the like, and so on.

They're really pretty decent for the price, come in three sizes, and do a nice job of separating a bunch of dissimilar small items as well as keeping like items together.

I just have to ask this, however: what did you pull out and why? If there's a Tsunami, perhaps you're not coming back--at which point, wouldn't you want everything in your BOB?

#4 ·
Those bags are pretty neat, I'll have to check them out. I'm currently using different ziploc bags for inside the bag organization.

As far as the stuff that I pulled out; guns, ammo (because it was a short term "emergency"), and most of my sleeping gear (because this is Hawaii and I was bugging out in my car).

That's why I was thinking I could have one permanent main bag with the things essential for every situation; food, water, some clothes, and fire starting kit. Then have other bags that I could add/remote from the main pack with things like; guns, extended camping gear (tent, sleeping bag, sleeping mat), another with dust mask and goggles... the kinds of things that aren't necessary every time but are more for specific scenarios.

That way I could bug out faster while still being able to tailor my load for whatever is going on.

#12 ·
I guess what's confusing me is this: how could you have known it was a short-term emergency?

And why would you remove your gun and ammo? That's about the last thing I'd take out of my BOB.

#6 ·
If I'm running around at night than maybe all black would work, otherwise I'm not sure how subtle the all black pack might be.

My Mom does a lot of sewing, maybe I'll send her some pictures and see if she can make something for me.

#8 ·
I just checked it out, the Rocket Pack is a pretty neat option. I looked around a little on the Snugpak site, I didn't see options for other side pouches. Do you know anything about them, if there are other side pouches that could be swapped in or out?

#11 ·
The camelbak transformer is modular. I have it, though its a little small square inch wise so I may start on some mods.
Its 3L camelbak bladder with a small zipper pocket which I have placed a small PSK sized kit. Then it has two modules that can be added or removed where I carry clothing and food. With light weight hiking clothes I can store a change of clothes.

#17 ·
I have a Works pack. I grew up not far from Belgrade MT. BITD Dana Designs were Bad A$$ packs,before the buyout, the best in my opinion. The quality of the Works pack is just as good. I have a bigger pack for my BOB the Works is a bit small for my taste. Gas mask takes up a lot of room... as with duct tape... But I wouldn't hit the ground without them... ;)

#18 ·
My modular solution

After having a half-dozen set-ups over the past couple of years, I have finally developed a modular system that seems to work well for me. I can’t post photos right now, but will be able to next week, if you want to check back for them.

I have a smaller day pack and a larger pack, complimented with detachable side pouches. The bags are the Fieldline Alpha Ops Day Pack and the Alpha Ops Internal Frame Backpack in brown, both purchased at Walmart for 19.95 and 39.95 respectively. I had to go to ****’s Sporting Goods to find the companion Alpha Ops Side Pouches at 9.95 each.

The smaller bag is set up as a Get Home Bag, while the larger one is more of a Bug Out Bag, with the side pouches being transferrable to either pack or they can be carried one off. For instance, I drop the Comfort & Convenience Pouch in my motorcycle saddlebags,take it with me if I’m riding in someone else’s vehicle, and drop it in my carry-on if flying.

I don’t have the contents of the day pack listed below, but it is similar to the large pack, minus some of the larger items and the extra food.

MAIN PACK
Main Compartment
Maps (home state & 5 bordering states in dry bag)
Balaclavas & ballcaps (2 ea.) in dry bag
Gloves (cotton, wool, heat-resistant, & rubber-coated) in dry bag
Toasty Toes & Warm Hands chemical packs (3)
Underwear, socks, handkerchiefs (3 ea.) in dry bag
Wool Military Blanket
LED Crank Flashlight
2 litre hyrdation bladder & tube
Insulated 1 liter Stainless Steel Water Bottles (2)
Stainless steel 3 in 1 water bottle (bottle/pot/cup)
Faded Black BDU Pant & Shirt
Shoes
Boonie Hat

Outer Compartment
Ponchos (1 clear, 1 woodland camo)
Survival Blanket
50 ft. paracord, 3 large nylon zip-ties
AM/FM/NOAA battery/crank radio w/ lights in drybag
Spare drybag

Small Outer Compartment
Hand Sanitizer Spray Pen
Assorted hand wipes
Moist Wipes (30)

Padded Pouch
iPhone AC/DC plugs & patch cord, headphones,

Left Side Pockets
Large fixed-blade knife
4 freeze dried meals

Right Side Pocket
Lightweight folding saw
4 freeze dried meals

Comfort & Convenience Pouch (all contents in clear waterproof box)
Insect repellant
Itch Relief Spray Pen
Band Aids (10)
Bic Lighter
Eye Drops
Hand Sanitizer
Keys
Leatherman Micra multitool
Lip balm
Motion Sickness Pills
Anti-Diarrheal Pills
Ibuprofen
Nail Clippers & Emery Board
Neosporin + Pain Relief
Rollens disposable sunglasses
Spare reading glasses
Squeeze light
Sunscreen
Tide stain stick
Tooth brush, paste, pick, & floss
Wet Wipes (10)

Health & Hygeine Pouch (all contents in clear waterproof box)
Medications (1 wk in pill organizer, 1 mo. Supply in Rx bottles)
2-in-1 Body Soap/Shampoo
Deodorant
Quick-drying camp towels (2)

First Aid Pouch (all contents in clear waterproof plastic box)
Gloves
CPR Mask
Assorted adhesive bandages, gauze pads, tape
Ammonia capsules
Constricting Band
Triangular Bandage

Water Filter Pouch
Water filter

Food Pouch (no-prep)
Tuna (3)
Beef Jerky (3)
Nuts (3)
Spork

Quick Cooking Pouch
Folding Sterno Stove
4 cans Sterno
Bic Lighter

Firemaking & Open-fire Cooking Pouch
Mess Kit (Pan, plate, pot, lid, cup)
Salt/Pepper
Hobo tool (fork, spoon, knife)
Dishcloth
Waterproof Matches (160)
Bic Lighters
Firesteel
Soaked cotton balls & dryer lint
Water purification tablets (50)

Tools & Navigation Pouch
Folding trowel
LED lights (head & hand)
Utility knife w/ belt sheath
Skinning knife w/ belt sheath
Wire Saw
4 in 1 screwdriver
Lensatic Compass
Binoculars
Knife Sharpener
Seat belt cutter/window punch
Whistle/Compass
LED strobe light & pinch light
Small multi-tool
Small screwdriver/magnet
Assorted snare wires (10)

Fieldline also makes a Ops Essentials Sling Bag that I plan to purchase and outfit for Every Day Carry.

#20 ·
This will blow your mind away if you are looking for a COMPLETELY modular Military grade pack.

Mystery Ranch Crewcab.
It will modulate from 1900-5000 cubic inches (31-82 liters) And anything in between.

Base unit comes 1900ci like this:
The sides flip out for extra storage and there is a center space for carrying items.

But you can also purchase extra "load cells" that go into that center space and you can expand the pack modularly:

http://www.mysteryranch.com/hunting/nice-frame-packs/nice-crewcab-pack

Anther option if you are just looking at internal compartmentalizing is the RATS pack. Meant to be a medical pack it has pull away segments for easy organization and quick access:

http://www.mysteryranch.com/fire/fire-medical-packs/nice-rats-pack-bvs

#21 ·
Wow. If I had $515 I had no other use for, I'd be on that Mystery Ranch Crewcab in a second.

Really nice system. I wish I could afford it.

#22 ·
I have a Kelty bag that has 3 bags inside it. Its designed for camping but it works great as a bug out bag for the car. It is like a duffel bag, having handles and a shoulder strap, but you wouldn't want to carry it a long ways. However it is VERY nice to have the modular system! I just wish I could find a backpack that is comparable.

I also got it on clearance at Target for $30!

#23 ·
I dont get it. Theres a warning. Why not just grab ALL your stuff- not take out guns ammo cold stuff- because youre in your car anyway. Not carrying it. And if you DID need to go on foot, you HAVE it. And youre asking to get a nice new pack just to do exactly that, again. Think about it. What if it was a bad tsunami. What if civilization crumbled. What if you needed that stuff you left at home??

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.