Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Frozen Patriot
664 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Who finds themselves modifying their BOB regularly??

I recently put mine together and keep finding alternatives to what I've already packed. Do you guys do the same thing and if so, what are some of the upgrades you've done..

DS

·
Registered
15 Posts
Do people just throw everything in willy nilly or do you have a system? And how does SHTF in winter change your packing strategy? Please add your thoughts!

As an aside - I have a big problem with mini kits that come all tightly packed. First, people don't practice with them, ie, unpacking and repacking them. I believe there is a good chance of things getting plain old lost.

When I see videos of minikits I have the sneaking suspicion that the matchbox survival kit is insufficient. Especially the lack of large ziploc bag just to put the loose items in so they don't roll away on the ground. I mean, for example, you open the kit to get out the space blanket - have you ever tried to refold it? It gets too big with air and its too unweildy to fold nicely outside.

·
Student/Teacher
164 Posts
I mod my kit based both on trial and error and by learned skills. As I develop my skill I'm less dependent on tech and by using the kit I get a feel for what I do or do not need. Also if I can afford better kit I generally put the best stuff I can In my bags and use up the cheaper stuff in daily routine.

·
cute is not always enough
2,232 Posts
Maintaining you BOB is a must. Practicing with it is also important. There is nothing wrong with making a hobby out of it; especially if that relates with other hobbies like camping or hunting.

What you want to avoid is obsessing about it. A BOB is an important part of preparing for disasters, both personal and wide spread, but it is not going to fix everything. If you are neglecting food storage to tinker with your BOB I feel you should reassess your priorities.

·
Zomby Woof
14,246 Posts
My hunting pack has gone through many mods. This has been due to going out hunting with it. The same has to be done with a BOB. Although you will have many ideas and find good suggestions; you won't know for sure until it has been tested.
Impromptu camping trips are a good way to test your preparations.

·
Registered
45 Posts
This is why I love that my GHB pack is all MOLLIE on the outside. I put a second water pouch on it and I didnt like it so I just took it off. I found a better pouch for my canteen and will be putting it where the first one was. Then I found another use for the one I took off and its back on the pack in another spot. I see my gear as Work In Progress.

·
Registered
826 Posts
Who finds themselves modifying their BOB regularly??

I recently put mine together and keep finding alternatives to what I've already packed. Do you guys do the same thing and if so, what are some of the upgrades you've done..

DS
Absolutely. I'm always finding a new product that does something I need it to either better than what I already have or in a smaller, lighter package. A prepper's work is never done! :thumb:

·
Go to guy
661 Posts
Anyone that really believes in survival is always attempting to imoprove their chances to survival in a bug out situtation/unexpected situtation. This might mean practicing their hunting/tracking skills, trying new ways and ideas to start a fire, going to the rifle range to improve shooting skills, trying a new trapping or farming or fishing technique or even buying that new 100 item swiss army knife with an attached radio and battery charger.
It is when we use these skills with the items that we have in our BOB or in the back yard, field or stream that we realize that if we had this item things might work better. This along with seasonal, operational, time and economical issues we upgrade our plans, skills and yes our gear to fit all of these. So yes I do tweak my bag from time to time. Be sure to learn from others or you will repeat their mistakes.

·
Looks like rain to me.
41,428 Posts
My BOB is like my resume, it's a living document that I'm always trying to improve. Always looking for better gear.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I don't have a BOB. I have a North Face dayhike pack that has all of the desired survival items, but I could also throw a few things in and make it camp-worthy. If I had to bug out due to a localized disaster (only thing worth bugging out for) I'd just drive the hundred miles to my folks' house. That'd put me out of the disaster area for the few things that could happen near my home. With regards to those preparing for civil unrest, "martial law," and related affairs - good luck. If you've got a bag full of crap and retreat to the woods to relive Little House on the Prairie then everyone else who sees you is going to try to take your supplies, and at some point you're going to have to reload so there's really no logical point in stockpiling ammunition and seeds while waiting for the end of the world.

·
Registered
55 Posts
New to the forum, this really is a great wealth of info!

I work in the field so I take my BOBs with me everyday. In that sense you get an idea of the things you need, and things you will never need, so it is a constant weeding out process. I like the MOLLE because I can change out components that don't work well. I have a Maxpedition Jumbo side pack with the absolute essentials, that don't change, and I keep a Max falcon II bag (backpack) that I change out seasonal gear in.

Best mods, I attached a gerber brush thinner machete, these things are wicked, to the point of working as well as a much heavier axe, plus, make a great weapon in a pinch and incredibly light, another good one is to make mental note of where everything is, I keep the things I use the most, flashlights, fixed blade knife, med kit, bug spray/sunblock on the outside pockets for easy access. I keep the extra socks and rain gear in the main comp. since they are not used as often.

The system works well and the two bags don't interfere with each other. In addition, I have other packs for different situations...who said you cant have more than one BOB!

I have one question I would love input on: Since you can't carry enough water to last forever, are you better off having the very expensive filters or the small/compact water treatment pills?

Thanks!

·
Registered
73 Posts
Heh... I'm still trying to get my basics together. Although, as soon as I got my army surplus sleepingbag I found a -80 degree bag I really want to upgrade to.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts