Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
18,814 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a vietnam are M-14 rifle and while i know that there are hundreds upon hundreds of modifications for this rifle out there I was wondering if I could get some input from the community.

·
*** Forgives, I don't
1,369 Posts
Depends on the modifications your talking about. Randy Weaver made some modifications on a shotgun, it got his wife, son and best friend killed. I don't modify nor know of anyone that does. Sorry!

·
Registered
3,376 Posts
I agree with rridgeoutlaw, you really have to be careful to stay within the law when it comes to modifying a weapon like an M14. let me ask you something. Does you gun have the cut off switch on the right rear of the receiver? Is it a true M14 or an M1A? If it is a capable of full auto fire, do you have the paper work on it for Class 3?

Be sure what you have is semiauto. The M14 was never really meant to be a machine gun. Congress and some sub commitee met and wanted on weapon to be everthing. Both a battle rifle and a squad weapon. The Original rifle is a wonderful weapon.

If you want a scope get the side mount made for it. that is about all you need. you can get a synthetic stock if desired.

·
Registered
18,814 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
No, its a semi-automatic rifle. I try not to get involved with Fully automatic rifles etc. thanks for the input however.

·
Registered
252 Posts
For what it's worth...There should not be a single thing you really need to do to that rifle . It is what it is, a big bore battle rifle that is designed to reach out and destroy, with prejudice , anything you put in front of it.

Pratice with it, learn it's quirks and shoot straight.

Take care of it and it will serve you well.

My personal opinion only.

·
Registered
4 Posts
rifle purpose?

Fairly new here and I wanted to know just what you intended to use the rifle for? I too am looking into modifying my M1A bush rifle when I get back from Iraq. I already have the mount from Smith Enterprise and will be getting low mount rings from SEI too. As for an optic a leupold but not sure which one yet. A setup like that should really be all you need. If you plan on sitting with it and using it as a sharpshooter platform then maybe throw a Harris bipod on there as well.

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
Leave it like it is.That rifle is as effective in 2008 as it was in 1965.

·
FNG
106 Posts
The only thing you need to spend money on for that rifle is MORE ammo, and practice/training. IMO that is one of the greatest rifles ever made, changeing it would be a crime.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Mine is bedded in a USGI fiberglass stock, wears a Smith Ent. muzzle brake and A.R.Ms scope mount, Leupold PRW Rings and a VX III 3-9x40 . I also upgraded the springs to Wolff. It is short chambered for .308 Win as opposed to 7.62 NATO. I use it as a hunting rifle(when feasible) and a SHTF bug out rifle if ever required.

·
Registered
6,445 Posts
Fairly new here and I wanted to know just what you intended to use the rifle for? I too am looking into modifying my M1A bush rifle when I get back from Iraq. I already have the mount from Smith Enterprise and will be getting low mount rings from SEI too. As for an optic a leupold but not sure which one yet. A setup like that should really be all you need. If you plan on sitting with it and using it as a sharpshooter platform then maybe throw a Harris bipod on there as well.
Here is what I did to one of mine......

Smith enterprize Vortex direct connect flash hider/gas lock (hooded) front sight

ARMS #18 split rail mount

Criterion 18.5in. chrome lined std contour bbl. 1-12 twist, 7.62mm chamber.
Sadlak op-rod spring guide
Unitized gas system
Sadlak tin coated gas piston
Synthetic stock custom "fitted" to action. Selector switch hole filled in.

She's a shooter:thumb:

I'm off to PT now..:)

11B

·
Registered
108 Posts
I just won a M-14 on gunbroker comes with 2 mags the only mods I looking at adding is more mags and a bi-pod, maybe a scope and lots of ammo.:thumb:

Attachments

·
Here's my safety Sir
14,678 Posts
Best Battle Rifle Uncle Same ever had. Leave as is and shoot the fool out of her.

·
Slayer of Sacred Cows
588 Posts
First of all there were darn few if any GI M-14's made that were semi-auto only by design.
Having the FA selector assembly either removed or locked out does not matter to the BATFE. They have this thing about once a machine gun always a machine gun.

If you have one of the few transerable M-14's in civiy hands then more power to you.

Now that that's out of the way if you want to scope it there is ARMS, SEI and Sadlak.

If not it will still benifit by a glass bedding job and unitizing the gas block assembly.

Many M14/M1A's have a decent trigger pull so it may or may not benifit from a NM trigger job done by a smith experienced with the M14/M1A.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts