Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Founder
16,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Lets say that I have a "friend" and this friend wants to add some modifications to his DS Arms SA58 FN/FAL. What would be some good mods to add to the rifle?

The first thing is a scope mount. The rifle is just a standard SA58 with no rail or scope mount on the dust cover. From what I was told, there are 2 types of dust covers, one for the carry handle, one without the carry handle. I would like to continue to use the carry handle.

The scope is going to be something on the inexpesive side, maybe something like a Nikon 3-9x40.

I have already asked this question once, but I would like to add some different sights to the rifle. The standard iron sights are rather weak looking. The sights on the para or jungle model are rather cool looking.

Its only about 4 1/2 months until deer season. I need to get the dust cover replaced, the scope mounted and some target practice done within the next few months.

I thought about adding a folding stock, but I just dont know about the idea of a 308 rifle with a folding stock. I like the idea of having a compact rifle.

Short list:

Scope mount
After market sights
Folding stock

~~ EDIT~~

Here is the video of the scope mount being installed on the rifle

·
Forever Vigilant
2,260 Posts
If you put on a folding stock, you will have to swap the Bolt/Carrier to a Para version, since the current carrier rod slides into the stock durning ejection. As for the DSA scope rail, you will want to get the older 620 on the used market, or the newer 620A.

As for changing out the original iron sights, you are on your own there.

·
Registered
5,538 Posts
The DSA top cover mount is the best. Skip anything cheaper and go with the DSA product (just get a spare couple of screws and the lock plates, you'll bugger one up or lose one, trust me)

The sights are tougher than you'd think, the rear may need a little squeezing to be fully tight but they'll outlast the user. One modification I have done to mine and those I have built, is to matte the rear sight with GunKote and the other is to thread the eyepiece and screw in an old Lyman receiver sight insert, by doing so, you can change the aperture diameter without changing zero. It also keeps the peep in darkness unlike the plain flat blade.

The only other real change I'd recommend is to swap out for the DSA extended safety, it makes it actually easy to use and handy.

As far as using the carry handle, depending on what scope and bases you use will determine what happens with the handle. Me, I just remove mine or more accurately don't install them during assembly.

To quote an Aussie friend, "it's not a bloody purse", it doesn't need a carry handle.

KNS was making a front handguard screw stud that replaced the original screw and gave a better place to sling off of, but an Uncle Mikes 7/8" sling stud could probably be used instead with little work. I'll look later.

·
American fearmaker
14,249 Posts
Scoping a FAL is okay if you understand the limitations involving the FAL. FAL rifles don't make really good long range sniper rifles because they have barrel harmonics. Look it up and you'll see what I mean. If you scope a FAL, what you'll get is a decent rifle that is good out to about 400 or so yards for more precise shots than most other FAL rifles. In other words, you will make it more accurate at closer ranges but not out farther. Over the years a number of people have tried to improve upon the FAL long range shortages but it still does not come close to giving the performance that a good M-1A or AR-10 system gives a shooter. And that is something that your pal might want to think about; going with an AR-10 type rifle and doing the SASS thing for really long range shooting. In fact, if you take a Rock River Arms LAR-8, scope it and turn it into a SASS you can use FAL magazines in that rifle too. If your pal goes with the SASS idea, he could probably double his shooting distance. Just a thought...

·
Founder
16,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Scoping a FAL is okay if you understand the limitations involving the FAL.
I doubt that I could shoot accurately out to 400 yards. Even if the rifle is capable of the accuracy, I would probably pull my shot.

If I could get the FAL to about 1 inch groups at 100 - 150 yards, I would be happy. Here in East Texas, unless your on a pipe line, high line, road, rail road tracks,,,, the longest shot is probably going to be less then 150 yards.

·
Forever Vigilant
2,260 Posts
I doubt that I could shoot accurately out to 400 yards. Even if the rifle is capable of the accuracy, I would probably pull my shot.

If I could get the FAL to about 1 inch groups at 100 - 150 yards, I would be happy. Here in East Texas, unless your on a pipe line, high line, road, rail road tracks,,,, the longest shot is probably going to be less then 150 yards.
The FAL is not really a 1 MOA rifle no matter what you do to it. It is more like 2-3 MOA with quality match ammo, scope or no scope. Even the finely tuned $2500 DSA models are greater than 1 MOA on average with match ammo.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Dunno where you got that about the dust covers.

Two basic types, inch and metric. Inch has ears, won't fit on metric. If you have only the inch cover, you can grind the ears, but please don't, just trade with someone with a metric cover. Two basic types within those - stripper clip top covers and not stripper clip capable. Some inch top covers are designed to be used with the SUIT, and they've got their own issues.

Aftermarket top covers with picatinny, go with DSA. Forget about crapco. Pure junk, and I'm talking specifically about the covers. Their SAW grip for the FAL is actually a decent item, if you like that angle and grip feel.

If you have young eyes, keep the stock cover and irons. If you want to upgrade the irons, consider going with a DSA hampton lower and AR sights. If you want to do optics, go DSA mounts, know that there's not much that'll co-witness with the stock FAL sights. If you want better stock FAL sights, look for the inch Hythe sights, or the Canadian sights...be prepared to monkey around with the front post.

It's a great battle rifle, not a precision rifle. If you don't try to gussy it up, you'll be much happier. Get a bolt or precision semi for precision stuff, but also know that more than half that battle isn't the tool, it's the man behind the tool.

My FAL's are set up the same way, 16" barrels, inch safeties, DSA stripper top covers, Eotech, 3x FTS optic, Tapco SAW grip, BFG medic sling, zero rise MB's. One also has DSA front railed furniture and Vltor bipod.

·
Information is Ammunition
22,122 Posts
Scoping a FAL is okay if you understand the limitations involving the FAL. FAL rifles don't make really good long range sniper rifles because they have barrel harmonics. Look it up and you'll see what I mean. If you scope a FAL, what you'll get is a decent rifle that is good out to about 400 or so yards for more precise shots than most other FAL rifles. In other words, you will make it more accurate at closer ranges but not out farther. Over the years a number of people have tried to improve upon the FAL long range shortages but it still does not come close to giving the performance that a good M-1A or AR-10 system gives a shooter.
sounds like it has the same limitations as the AK platform. In the kalashnikov this is caused by the open tolerances. Whats causing the harmonic problem in the FAL, and how is the M1A different?

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
sounds like it has the same limitations as the AK platform. In the kalashnikov this is caused by the open tolerances. Whats causing the harmonic problem in the FAL, and how is the M1A different?
The placement of the operating system. The Garand family's system is under and tigher to the barrel. It doesn't cause the violent vibration that having a top mounted gas piston system does. If you watch the AK in slow mo you can see to violent shaking of the barrel the piston creates.

With the AR series you elminate the piston all together.

·
Registered
8,436 Posts
Check the AR style adjustable rear sights that DSA sells.

You might just get the whole DSA folding stock lower receiver with AR sights.

·
that's like, your opinion
17,825 Posts
whats up kev... I have a 18" standard DSA SA58 i would recommend a few things to think about

1. if you wish to convert to the folding stock this will faciliate both a different/specific dust cover w/ spring rod guide & recoil spring and a different bolt carrier (the carrier not the bolt face) not to mention the stock itself... it actually might require a completly different lower trigger housing as well (not 100% sure). it will also radically change your cheek weld (just something to be aware of)

2. which ever stock setup you choose definitely go with the DSA metric top cover w/ rail, love mine.

http://www.dsarms.com/SA58-FAL-Extreme-Duty-Scope-Mount---620A/productinfo/620A/

i would also suggest the two piece rear handguard assembly cap, the link shows the one piece, but i am pretty sure that DSA must sell the two piece

http://www.dsarms.com/Handguard-Rear-Assembly-Cap-Standard-Barrel-US-Made---023/productinfo/023/

the two piece is very handy if you plan on ever replacing the forend with a quad rail as you have to cut off the old one

http://www.dsarms.com/FAL-Rail-Interface-Handguard-Full-Length----021USFAS/productinfo/021USFAS/

3. the normal grip is a little large for my preference so i went with an ergo grip for the fal, tacky texture and has a compartment

http://www.ergogrips.net/item-detail.cfm?ID=4106-BK&storeid=1&image=ergoFALG3.gif

4. here is a list of all dsa offered parts for the SA58

http://www.dsarms.com/FAL-SA58 Parts & Accessories/products/17/

·
Forever Vigilant
2,260 Posts
After years of searching, I was finally able to build my perfect battle rifle. DSA SA58 Para with an 11" barrel.

So how is it shooting out of that 11" - WITHOUT the suppressor? I have been considering doing one of these as an SBR.

·
Registered
419 Posts
I'll add another vote for the DSA Extreme duty mount if you scope your FAL. I put one on an Imbel build in 2003 and have used it for deer and hog hunting along with a LOT of range time and the zero has never changed. That mount has been worth every penny imho.

I mounted one of the older made in El Paso Weaver K4 scopes on mine since the thick brush I hunt in doesn't really call for anything more powerful and while certainly not a sniper rifle the FAL and scope are easily capable of 150 yard shots on game.

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
My experience with a DSA Scope Mount Cover and an ACOG was consistently banging a 4" steel disk hanging on a chain at 200. I was using some Australian surplus that would do an inch at a 100 in a M1A though. I have also used West German surplus that was all over the place, but wow that stuff was hot.

I guess what I am trying to say is don't sell the FAL short. Find the right ammo for it and it may surprise you with what it can do. Also +1 on the SAW grip, much more comfortable than the original pronounced angle grip.

·
American fearmaker
14,249 Posts
Ls1 is right about the placement of the gas system being part of the cause of harmonics. In addition, the very early FALs didn't use the very best steel either. From what I've been told, some of the early rifles had impurities in the steel in their construction.

Dwind, you also understand that the AK rifles have limitations put on them because of the design of the 7.62 X 39 cartridge too, right? There are two ways to put a limitation on a rifle. One way is in the construction of the rifle and the other way is in the design of the cartridge. The very first FALs were not meant to shoot the 7.62 NATO. They were originally designed to shoot something akin to an 8 millimeter short rifle round, sort of like the one used in the Sturmgewher rifle. I think, IIRC, the round was a 7.92 X 33 cartridge. Or something like that...

·
Registered
395 Posts
So how is it shooting out of that 11" - WITHOUT the suppressor? I have been considering doing one of these as an SBR.
IT'S REAL LOUD!

Since I use a suppressor on most of my rifles, I like to go with an SBR so it can be a little more maneuverable and not as heavy. The problem with an SBR in 5.56 is that the round is better suited for a longer barrel. So stepping up to the .308 SBR, I think filled up the gap nicely.

Since my setup with the FAL is heavy, recoil is nothing. I'm used to lugging around heavy rifles, it's not too bad. With the Para stock, the cheekrest is a must to get you to the bore sightline. I wonder if I could get my Fleming sear to work in it? Probably not.

·
Registered
156 Posts
nice weapon with mods to play with!

If you put on a folding stock, you will have to swap the Bolt/Carrier to a Para version, since the current carrier rod slides into the stock durning ejection. As for the DSA scope rail, you will want to get the older 620 on the used market, or the newer 620A.

As for changing out the original iron sights, you are on your own there.
i dont care for dsa cover scope mount - i have one if you like it 30 bucks plus shipping !!! rear sights here is one you can do -get a fal sight ramp and weld a milled M-1 carbine sight -center sight on ramp -sight is backed to ,not on the 200 meter bar -mig weld it at dove tail on sight to ramp app. 1/4 long both sides ...finish up what you have now no adjustment tool rear sight ....think about it

1 - 20 of 38 Posts