Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
honestly the refig would suck more juice than it would be worth unless you have alot of pannels id use for radio and other things if i am living on solar ima be using my root cellar
Some aren't too bad. Sundanzers are designed to run on fairly small solar setup. They're pricey though.

But for conventional fridges a small dorm fridge isn't too terribly bad but still takes a ton of panels. The one we have draws 10amp per hour at 12v. That's alot of juice to replace in only a few hours a day.

I am going to put in a microwave to heat meals so I dont have to use my propane stove except on a rare occasion.
Even a small microwave would suck major amounts of power from your batteries. Only good thing about it is that they only run for seconds to minutes at a time. A 1000 watt microwave draws roughly 10ah @ 110v or 100ah at 12v (these are rough numbers). With conversion loss that equates to about 2 amps per minute.

Not saying it can't or shouldn't be done but you need to keep the numbers in mind.

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
thats good to know actually i am looking at getting a solar setup but am thinking bout getting 10 205watt pannels but before i do that i need to replace the chicken coop with a barn so its on the back burner
I'm seriously envious. That's a heck of a setup. If we can every find some land that suits our needs my wife and I would love a setup like that.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.