Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm sure there are many variants of this idea out there that people have come up with, but I haven't seen much talk about caches lately and this one turned out quite nice, so I figured I'd share. I picked up one of those $30 ruggedized cases from Harbor Freight. It's quite nice, especially for the price. So my goal was to put together a rugged, weather resistant box that holds a loadout worth of ammo and mags, plus spare loose ammo. If for whatever reason you were to get back to your truck missing anything, you can just do a quick top off and be good to go again. So this case snugly holds 6 rifle mags, 2 pistol mags and a combined 434 rounds of ammo.

Gas Auto part Automotive exterior Automotive wheel system Font

Rectangle Bumper Gas Composite material Auto part

·
Registered
49 Posts
Nice I like the idea. Have you tested the water resistance? Like by soaking it a tub for 24 hours in case you cache spot has some flooding or heavy rain for awhile. Granted modern ammo should be ok getting wet but buried it would never get dry again. I like the box and have placed a order for 2 of them for other things for now

·
Registered
696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Nice I like the idea. Have you tested the water resistance? Like by soaking it a tub for 24 hours in case you cache spot has some flooding or heavy rain for awhile. Granted modern ammo should be ok getting wet but buried it would never get dry again. I like the box and have placed a order for 2 of them for other things for now
I haven't tested it, but it closes tight, has a nice thick rubber gasket and the intent for this one would be to toss it in the cab of my truck, rather than leave it in the elements a bunch. I will definitely be buying and testing more of them for waterproofness though, as I have plans for a pack out system for the bed of my truck. Basically an aluminum grid retainer that I can place in the bed and then strap down various ruggedized cases of different items to keep them secure in their assigned spots. A rapid loading bugout truck system, if you will.

·
reluctant sinner
20,807 Posts
Needs a Hello Kitty decal for cammo. I'd inlet a few of those sealed gun wipe pouches in a overwrap Freezer Ziplock.

·
Capability, not scenarios
12,691 Posts
What do you mean "back to your truck missing anything"? Like your gun? Or you dropped some mags?

It's a nice case, but I'm not sure how this works any better than a standard ammo can. Or any other way to keep spare ammo and magazines about.

·
Registered
696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
What do you mean "back to your truck missing anything"? Like your gun? Or you dropped some mags?

It's a nice case, but I'm not sure how this works any better than a standard ammo can. Or any other way to keep spare ammo and magazines about.
There are plenty of scenarios where you might be operating out of a truck and return periodically having expended supplies. Ammo gets used up and mags get lost. My goal was to have a waterproof, rugged, compact resupply solution. You can toss it in the cab, toss it in the bed, strap it to a pack, toss it in the weeds temporarily, ect. Nothing is rattling around and it's organized. Ammo cans are nice but I wanted something that had the foam inserts and looked a little more professional. Call it OCD or something, idk. You could use pretty much any sealed, durable case/box/can. I just chose this one, but the concept I was trying to push out was the idea of a compact, resupply with all the appropriate ammo and mags for your own system to keep it running when you are away from a home base.

·
Wile E Coyote, Genius.
34,909 Posts
Nice looking case. Not sure why an Ammo can is not the right answer though. Ammo cans are tested and are of known quality.
A plastic case even though it looks nice, from Harbor Freight is an unknown.

·
Registered
696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Nice looking case. Not sure why an Ammo can is not the right answer though. Ammo cans are tested and are of known quality.
A plastic case even though it looks nice, from Harbor Freight is an unknown.
Ammo can just didn't have the right feel or the nice form fitting foam to keep everything separate and organized. It's also in line with my end goal of having a whole pack out system of ruggedized cases for bugging out. Whether that will be cases from Harbor Freight or Pelican, I haven't decided yet and do need to test them.

·
Registered
696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Really cool project! You can probably fit some oil wipes/other utility(like charliemeyer mentioned) into case lid if you use some straps to hold it. Might give you a bit of extra space for small stuff.
Thanks! That had definitely crossed my mind. It's all in there pretty snug but the strap idea might work nicely.

·
Registered
3,384 Posts
Did the foam padding come pre cut or did you cut it yourself? I like the case.

·
What would Mal do
5,389 Posts
did similar for my "variety" pack for when we take camping trips with the travel trailer.

depending on the trip (we do a lot of off-grid stuff) I'll typically have a full size pistol, maybe a 12ga , sometimes the Ruger takedown 22. Rare ocassion, will pack an AR15.
The Ruger takedown has nice pockets on the bag for it, so it tends to have all the ammo I want on board that unit with preloaded mags (3x25), (3x15), (4x10) and one extra 100rd plastic brick

but that variety pack case is also more about an evac plan. I can't take all my green cans with me, but I want to be able to grab firearms that would be a help and know that I've got at least some re-supply beyond what's on board.

for example, one of the AR15s lives in a soft bag with 5x30 preloaded mags in side pouches for quick grab. but having that many mags again in the resupply case is nice.

·
Knowledge is Power
4,630 Posts
I use a PVS-14 "ammo can"

They are about the size of a 60mm mortar can (maybe a bit smaller) but they are foam lined. I put 20 M4 mags, 15 G17 mags and a half dozen shotgun cards in there with plenty of room to spare.

·
Registered
94 Posts
For Pelican or Hardigg cases, there are plenty used or surplus being sold on Offerup at good prices. I picked up a Hardigg military footlocker for 30 that looks new. It houses a backpack and all supplies I would need for a "walk home" or "bug out" trip. Food, just 3 - 4 days. Its always in the bed of my truck.

·
Registered
360 Posts
I would either A) add a Lulaloader or B) switch to aluminum mags and put a bandoleer of ammo already on stripper clips and a clip guide. Of course if you can't fix the problem with the six loaded mags the rest of the ammo most likely won't make any difference. JMHO

1 - 20 of 37 Posts