Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4,033 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Started with 2 chickens as an experiment,now up to 5..lol:D:

Kicking around the idea of a few ducks,just to try

Chickens are free range during the day,so I'll have to keep the ducklings seperated till they get bigger.

I can do the research on how to raise the ducks...but..do you see any pitfalls
in having both:confused:

·
Registered
5,848 Posts
They can co-exist. Btw, started with 3 chickens, now have 5; it is called chicken math...be careful, they tend to add up all the time. You are SURE you have enough, then you see those cute chicks and before you know it, you have 2 or 3 more...

·
LEGAL citizen
15,269 Posts
Chickens and ducks co-habitating are okay... never co-habitate turkeys with any other fowl. They carry diseases that will decimate your entire coop.

Mmm... Turducken

Edit: Supposedly you can keep turkeys with other fowl if you put acidified cooper sulfate in their drinking water (it's a de-wormer). Personally, I think it's a waste of money and it's not a guarantee.

·
Registered
3,402 Posts
Hmmm, I'm not sure about 'eatin anything with the word 'turd' in it!

I've kept Muscovies and chickens, the ducks (hens) are brutal when cooped up with the other hens. Non-stop harassment. Out ranging, they are okay.

·
Super Moderator
20,670 Posts
Cook, you are too funny. If I remember correctly, you got those 2 chickens and didn't know what you were going to do with them. Now you have 5?! and now you want ducks! LOL :)
Got any pictures of your setup and flock?

·
Premium Member
1,650 Posts
Chickens and ducks co-habitating are okay... never co-habitate turkeys with any other fowl. They carry diseases that will decimate your entire coop.

Mmm... Turducken

Edit: Supposedly you can keep turkeys with other fowl if you put acidified cooper sulfate in their drinking water (it's a de-wormer). Personally, I think it's a waste of money and it's not a guarantee.

We have always had a mixed poultry folk. In the beginning it was just chickens, turkeys and guineas (even several peafowl for a few years). In the last few years we switched out the incessantly noisy guineas for ducks and geese (loud but not as constant). Our birds are housed together in the same room in the barn and free range during the day. We have never had an issue with disease, blackhead or other and we don't do anything specific for prevention. The last two years one of our turkey hens has been a successful surrogate for her own flock of chicks and ducklings in addition to poults.

InMichigan

·
Registered
4,033 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Cook, you are too funny. If I remember correctly, you got those 2 chickens and didn't know what you were going to do with them. Now you have 5?! and now you want ducks! LOL :)
Got any pictures of your setup and flock?
LOL,thanks.
Yep,its always fun to try new things.Bad habit as I get older to be in a routine,so why not.

I have a thread on another site.I really don't like gardening,but I keep looking at all the veggies I buy.
So just for fun,I started cutting the tops and roots off them,(and seeds)sticking them in water for a few days,then the ground.
some work,some don't..but here is what I've tried.
red/sweet/regular potatoes
peppers
garlic
horseradish
onions/green onions/chives
tomatoes
pineapple
avocado
celery
carrotts
leaf/iceburg/romaine/cabbage
radish
probably forgot a few:confused:

·
Registered
446 Posts
I worked on a large farm a few years ago out in Wa, they had chickens, ducks, turkeys, geese, guinea hens. They would fight occasionally, but the pecking order was definitely In order. Never an issue. Except when the 1 rooster would trap me in a corner. The 2 turkeys would get between us and kick that rooster's a$$.

·
Founder
16,869 Posts
When I had ducks, they did fine with the chickens, no problems at all.

Reactions: cook
1 - 13 of 13 Posts