Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just saw an ABC news report that there's a threat of the Air Force base in Minot, ND to be in the path of the floodwaters. They're sandbagging 2 silos and installing sump pumps to keep them from flooding. There are 26 silos there total.

Just wondering what kind of threat there would be if these silos were flooded. I don't think sandbags and sump pumps would keep water out of these silos since they're underground.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, or maybe not build underground silos so close to a river capable of flooding. I would think a mountain range would be much safer.

·
Registered
6,860 Posts
Wow. You would have thought that they would be sealed up Airtight and have appropriate Plumbing.:confused:
I thought they were. Water and air tight with filtered air funneled in. I heard they are built nearly in the same fashion as a nuclear sub in that it can makes it's own air (if needed) and has access to well water and enough food stores for crew to survive for several months below ground... But that is what I read and not sure if there is fact to back those statements.

·
Observer
707 Posts
I don't get how? I mean even if I had no knowledge of the the things, anyone could work out that the people and objects in these things need to be kept watered, fed and aired with clean air and water? If theyre not air tight (therefore water tight), any NBC threat could knock a whole Minuteman out and render the retaliation capability useless?

·
Green Eggs and Spam
5,071 Posts
I don't get how? I mean even if I had no knowledge of the the things...
You as a YOUTH ... have inside knowledge of MinutemanIII missle silos? How did you get to learn that?

ROFL...:D:

I will guess that the air intake system is the problem. I don't think they were designed to continue to operate long term as a nuclear submarine.

This flood event is potentially very long term. This may well be a preventative action, to keep war-time capability. Otherwise, an attack after the event would limit the sustained war fighting capability.

All that needs to be done is to keep the water in flow, lesser then the out flow. And, sand bags around intakes is cheap easy way to keep 100% operational readiness.

·
Registered
4,655 Posts
I thought they were. Water and air tight with filtered air funneled in. I heard they are built nearly in the same fashion as a nuclear sub in that it can makes it's own air (if needed) and has access to well water and enough food stores for crew to survive for several months below ground... But that is what I read and not sure if there is fact to back those statements.
The control rooms are sealed the missle bay is not.

·
Observer
707 Posts
You as a YOUTH ... have inside knowledge of MinutemanIII missle silos? How did you get to learn that?

ROFL...:D:

I will guess that the air intake system is the problem. I don't think they were designed to continue to operate long term as a nuclear submarine.

This flood event is potentially very long term. This may well be a preventative action, to keep war-time capability. Otherwise, an attack after the event would limit the sustained war fighting capability.

All that needs to be done is to keep the water in flow, lesser then the out flow. And, sand bags around intakes is cheap easy way to keep 100% operational readiness.
You know what I mean! :upsidedown:
What you said there makes perfect sense, I was thinking along the lines of a day or two and the boosters are sitting there submerged. Thanks for clearing that up!

·
Registered
38 Posts
There won't be any flooding at the Air Force Base itself. It's 8 miles North of Minot and the river. The 150 missile silos and 15 launch control facilities we have here are spread out over a big chunk of NW North Dakota. There may be some individual silos that have water issues, but the vast majority will not. I recall a few springs ago when they had a news story of minor water in a few silos that needed to be pumped out. I don't see it as a major issue.

209 Posts
It would probably cost the Air Force some money to fix them but I don't think it would be that big of a deal. There's still plenty of other silos in the country, as well as SSBNs to continue our nuclear deterrent.

·
Super Moderator
14,986 Posts
Why would the news or anybody print such stuff.Loss lips sink ships
Because its really no a big deal? Its not every single missle that is flooding.

·
Bushwacker
1,479 Posts
Maybe this is how they get more funding? Not the first time a government branch did something shady to make sure they get next years funds.

·
some strange Nordic man
1,103 Posts
I think everyone forgets that these missiles pretty much go into space. I mean, not technically into space but I never put much stock into technicalities. They're pretty durable weapon systems, though I don't know what water would do to them.

Still, I'd like to expect our government and military are under the leadership of intelligent people. I clearly do not get what I'd like to have in this case. As ohioguy1 said, they could build them in a smarter location.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts