Survivalist Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about survivalism? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My potential minute-man or quick-reaction gear I’d like to keep near me at home at all times are as follows. What I’d like is for you guys with much more experience than me is to tear apart my idea and give me some criticism. I already have a kit ready, but I don’t think it is up to snuff. I’m a science teacher and I’ve been hunting/shooting/hiking all my life and farming more than half of it. I live around older folks who would do what is needed, but I’m the most athletic and the youngest of the men (30 years old) of my neighbors and I’m working on becoming more fit. I’m not one for posting pictures of what I own, but here is my idea:

Guns:

I have an AKS-74 in 5.45x39 with 3-8x scope and a 1x red dot, both on quick change mounts, a small mounted light, and my grip holds extra batteries.
I also have a .270 WIN bolt action rifle with a 3-12x scope I use for hunting, but only soft point ammo and Berger HP hand loads, with only two magazines.
I have a small Kel-Tec .32 ACP for deep concealment in case I need to drop all the gear and blend.

On a battle belt:

2x 3-mag pouches with loaded mags. (3 mags of FMJ and 3 mags of softpoint ammo; FMJ to defeat light armor, vehicle doors, and SP for softer targets)
Canik TP9SF with 3 loaded mags (1 FMJ and 2 jacketed hollow point)
Fixed-blade 6 inch knife
Full canteen
Rolled up dump pouch
Walky-talky in pouch
In small lightweight backpack covered in molle webbing:
9 full stripper clips (enough to reload 3 mags and in a separate bag to keep them together)
Small cleaning kit
2 extra walky-talkyies to hand out to others, extra batteries
Small water filter and water treatment tabs
Extra canteen of water
Flashlight with white and red light
Laminated small map of my city and a more detail map of local streets and waterways with cache spots marked
Small binoculars
1 pair extra socks and moleskin
IFAK, ankle wrap, and an extra Israeli bandage
2x 100’ paracord
Thin camo poncho
Rag and large black thick plastic can liner
Common baseball cap that is not flashy
Pair of strong boot shoe laces (extra cordage)
Small amount of toilet paper and small hand sanitizer bottle
4 protein bars (high calorie)
2 granola bars
Stay Awake Kit (2x energy/caffeine shots, mentos candy)

Clothing:
Whatever is in season and needed to go through a night or two, season specific I’ll change it out throughout the year.

I will be getting an AR-15 in 5.56x45 and this will take the place of the AKS-74 with similar optics and gear.
So, what does the community think? Is this too much gear to last a couple days if I need to without resupply until day 3 or so? I’m no Rambo, so I’ll only go out “looking for trouble” if my friends and family are at high risk from bandits, marauders, or invading force. Again, this is just a light weight quick grab bag for a quick response. This is NOT my long-term recon or bug-out-bag. I can access caches at 1-mile intervals from my house that I have set up that have extra water, food, ammo, a knife, and an extra set of clothes.

·
Registered
154 Posts
I am not going to comment much on your load out because I am not expert but it looks like you have enough.
How about Batteries? and extra socks

My question is shouldn't your cleaning kit be in your AK stock? Or is it collapsible?

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
I question the choice of .32 APC, vs 9 mm or some more powerful cartridge. Not a lot of difference in size/weight, but quite a bit of difference in power. Also resupply 9mm is going to be much better than .32 APC.

The other comment would be some type of sleeping gear.

·
Registered
639 Posts
Not too bad for a QRF load, here's what I would change:

Drop one of the canteens and get yourself a camelback/water bladder and put it in your backpack.

Add a couple more mags to bring it up to 8+1 in the well.

Add a combat application tourniquet (CAT) and a small tube of bacitracin or iodine to your med kit.

Add a roll of duct tape, couple lighters and a multi tool (gerber or leatherman).

Add an extra battery for your light, ideally it's the same as your comms batteries.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Looks very similar to my setup, in terms of content if not exact storage/transport methods. Have you been "out and about" with that setup (minus firearms if necessary) to see if mobility is acceptable?
Yep, I've been hiking with it, it's not bad, I haven't weighed it yet. I need to do that, but I'd say it's no more than 30 pounds (belt full and pack full with canteens filled). I hike a lot and the weight and distribution doesn't bother me, but it might if I'm on pavement a lot which I have not tried walking on pavement for more than a couple miles. I need to try it.

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
Hmm, a few thoughts
I'd not split my ammo, thinking what are you gonna do, eject mag, eject round, insert new mag when the target changes, the same ammo works for both targets, why change it?
Paracord, you indicated caches, put 200 feet in those, keep a hank of 50' maybe, plus enough more to act as boot laces, replace existing boot laces with paracord, maybe even double lace
Magazines, I would load/carry more mags rather than stripper clips, the weight depending on the mag is probably negligible. If mag becomes empty or low, switch with full from pack

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
596 Posts
I'd add a couple of hundred dollars in cash and maybe some silver coins.

I know you said it's not your BOB etc, but it could end up being all you have for a while and I would rather bribe my way through Buba's roadblock than shoot it out.

Just make sure you train with the setup, ruck with it, shoot with it, se what breaks, what gets all tangled up, and what works just fine if you haven't already. Now repeat when the weather is crappy you'll find out things like your poncho covers up all your crap you want to get to or your belt doesn't expand enough to fit over winter clothes. The worst weather is the best time to train.

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
If bubba has a road block bubba is gonna take everything you have once you offer money
I mean, if I were bubba and you offered me x to pass, my answer would be drop that pack and everything you got and I'll let you by, unless you have a 50% off coupon or something

·
Registered
183 Posts
I agree with these points, good overall loadout.

Not too bad for a QRF load, here's what I would change:

Drop one of the canteens and get yourself a camelback/water bladder and put it in your backpack.

Add a couple more mags to bring it up to 8+1 in the well.

Add a combat application tourniquet (CAT) and a small tube of bacitracin or iodine to your med kit.

Add a roll of duct tape, couple lighters and a multi tool (gerber or leatherman).

Add an extra battery for your light, ideally it's the same as your comms batteries.
Here's my loadout, some small changes since I made it, but it's mostly still the same.

https://youtu.be/54-Q9lL7_Rg

·
Registered
596 Posts
If bubba has a road block bubba is gonna take everything you have once you offer money
I mean, if I were bubba and you offered me x to pass, my answer would be drop that pack and everything you got and I'll let you by, unless you have a 50% off coupon or something

That's not how it works in many third world countries, some "bubbas" are law enforcement or military. Even make shift militias prefer payment over bloodshed. No one knows how things will play out so it comes to using judgment when the time comes.

Of course money also works to buy things you need and since your level 1 load out is most likely to be on you it is a good place to keep it.

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
That's not how it works in many third world countries, some "bubbas" are law enforcement or military. Even make shift militias prefer payment over bloodshed. No one knows how things will play out so it comes to using judgment when the time comes.

Of course money also works to buy things you need and since your level 1 load out is most likely to be on you it is a good place to keep it.

My thought is, if they are willing to block passage and demand 'payment', I'm not gonna 'trust' them at all, what if what I offer isn't enough, does that mean I lose a leg for insulting them. I'd be looking for another way and exhaust all other options. Once they block passage and offer to take payment I don't care what they were in their prior life, at this point they are low life scum

·
Sheepdog
668 Posts
Add a simple chest rig to be able to carry your extra rifle mags (ditch the stripper clips), you also have too many mags on your belt line... You said 3 pistol mags, so one in your weapon and 2 on the belt. Rifle mags, one in your weapon, 1 or 2 on your belt, 3 to 4 on your chest rig and the rest of your spare ammo loaded in mags in your pack. Take the canteen off the belt and add a hydration bladder to your pack. Take your IFAK out of your pack and throw it on your belt (w/your TQ) where you can access it with either hand and keep a small, simple booboo kit in your pack.

You're on the right track, now start training in it, shooting with it, and you will place everything where it works best for you and your needs!:thumb:

Like John_Auberry said, why stripper clips instead of extra mags...

TENNGRIZZ is right about the simple hygiene items, big +1 on the wet wipes... Great for cleaning your pieces parts, wiping off blood from you and your gear, and for wiping crap off your weapon!;)

I would also add a small weapons cleaning kit to include oil and lube, cloth, and a small brush.

For some in depth reading on the subject matter, I recommend spending some time reading thru the "Modern Minuteman" thread! I know it was mentioned above but I wanted to reiterate that it is extremely worth your while!

http://www.survivalistboards.com/showthread.php?t=536713

You'll be glad you did!!!

·
Registered
7,071 Posts
So, much depends on defining your most probable scenarios relative to your area and situation. My immediate "QRF" kit is one I've ended up building to minimize the larger loads and streamline functionality. It's your basic "battle belt", but I really like the simplicity and modularity. This is my primary rig for training (something I highly recommend you look into so you can really validate the setup).

This isn't my patrol kit, but is the foundation. It's not a bugout setup; more of a QRF/property-patrolling kit. From a minuteman perspective, you're probably on track; its very similar to a short range patrol kit. The difficult part to define is duration. Is this a 24-hour kit or 72-hour kit? A week? Develop some scenario situations and apply to your kit necessities. Even if you have a full combat load, you need to consider resupply. If you're running solo, it's not a fighting load, it's a "break-contact" and E&E kit.

Lastly, load it up and find some place to train with it. Do some running, various shooting drills (especially from the prone). Do some work around the house...find out how well it works for you. If you can take a class or three, that is often the best way to validate everything on your rig; placement of your FAK, magazine direction, dump pouch access, knife, etc.

ROCK6

·
Premium Member
57 Posts
I would add an extra pair of underwear and socks. Not just the obvious reasons; these help you with morale too.

Some decent kit to sleep in that keeps you warm and protect you from the rain/snow.

Do you need 2 rifles? I would leave my bolt action at home as being mostly redundant. If you are an experienced hunter, I am sure the AKS/AR will serve you well in a pinch.

·
Registered
7,348 Posts
Very similar to one of my quick response load outs, except for the types of firearms.

I too would add extra batteries and extra socks.

In addition, a compass (easy to get turned around, even with maps) and something to make fire (I put backup fire starter in every kit I have).

If your model accepts them, get a headset for the walkie. Good for security and for overall silence. Also make sure walkie display has some sort of light cover. During one of my MAG's earliest tests of doing security scenario at night, one of the members called from inside the house and almost every single MAG member lit up as their display flashed with the incoming message...

I also would add at least one more Israeli Bandage (since this is a kit for potential contact), a heavier pistol rather than the Kel Tec (not less than a .38 in my books), and would definitely recommend Quik Clot for the FAK.

Reactions: Talleon
1 - 20 of 28 Posts