Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Dances with Salmon
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I drink a gallon of H2O a day, and have for years. But I also consume mild diuretics like coffee and beer, which can easily (if painfully) be cut out in a SHTF situation.
Obviously H2O needs can fluctuate from person to person, but does anyone know what the *minimum* amount of H2O required for a person to survive is?
I mean over a couple weeks, with minimal strenuous activities.
I am not looking for an exact amount but more hoping to start a discussion on the subject.
I don't want to blaze through my family's H2O supply just to keep chugging a gallon a day if we are bugging in and trying to better understand some guidelines with regards to daily rationing etc.

·
Registered
3,030 Posts
Drinking Water is one thing you probably dont want to ration. Best case is to drink normally and Im sure that 1 gallon a day is enough for that. Most people probably drink less than that, depends on the person.

Thinking of life and death situations reminds me of the story about Captain Bligh of the Bounty. He and a few of his crew managed to get by for weeks on end living off rain water if I remember right.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I'm just watching a program about the bottled water industry and an interesting point came up about marines in a life boat that survived on 1 pint a day(for 4 weeks), but if you're in a life boat you're not doing much. So my answer is it depends what factors are thrown in and how much physical work you have to do. Oh, and if you wait until you're thirsty to drink you're already dehydrated.

·
Watchful and Hopeful
122 Posts
I think the absolute minimum ( For a short term survival period) is around 9oz per person per day. The little packets rationed by relief are delivered in 4.2 oz packs with the expected use of 1 per person per meal, about 2 a day. Of course if you don't have someone handing you water while you are simply sitting and waiting for everything to get " back to normal", you probably are stepping up and working to ensure your own survival. That means your minimum intake will be increase from activity. That and geographical location.

·
462 Posts
I tried water rationing as a personal test.

First I added up all the fluids I consumed daily for 1 week.

The next week I drank the same amount but only bottled water.

The next step for me was to try and drink the RDA six 8oz / day.

That is 3 liters/day. That was less than 25% of my usual consumption.

I could only do this safely for 2 days.

·
Registered
18,814 Posts
In a temperate climate an average adult needs AT LEAST half a gallon of water a day. That's with keeping exercise to a minimum. So says my survival manual.

Also to conserve water in a hot climate, as tempting as it seems, don't take off your cloths. When you sweat while wearing clothes, it cools the air trapped between the clothing and skin, and since sweat is your body's way of cooling itself down, you will loose less water.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I would imagine depending on circumstances, the 1 gal a day would suffice. Water wouldn't really be a big concern, as it can be readily available, rain, wells, rivers, lakes, swamps.
Only concern would be contamination, and again depending on circumstances, you can purify it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.