Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Born to prep
3,728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Minimalist parenting is not doing the least amount of parenting with the most amount of gear, it is doing the most amount of parenting with the least amount of gear.

At least 50% of everything a new parent buys ends up being returned to the store or disposed of in other ways. Of the other 50% most of it is not truly need to raise a healthy baby.

As fare as material goods a baby only need 2 things food and shelter. For at least the 1st year a baby can thrive on little more the breast milk. Shelter can be in the form of clothing, a blanket, house, tent or anything else that protects the baby from the environment. Everything else is nothing more then a convenience so the parents have to do less work raising their baby.

Diaperless parenting does not mean that you do not use any diapers on the baby it means that you diaper the baby less. Every opportunity that the parent can leave the baby undiapered watching for the little signs and clues that the baby needs to void and then offer him or her an opportunity to use the potty. As the parent becomes more in tune with the baby fewer and fewer misses will be made. By the parents knowing that if they ignore the baby you will likely have a mess to cleanup will force them to actually parent their baby.

Baby wearing and attachment parenting are becoming very poplar parenting techniques and even have web sites and newsgroups dedicated to them. The advantages of attachment parenting are that your baby is always with you were you can keep the baby safe, warm and become more aware of you baby’s wants and needs. If the parents are working out side they will have to have the baby attached to them. If the baby is left in the shelter to sleep and the BOL is raided the parents could be forced to leave the bay behind or risk death trying to retrieve the baby. One of the best ways to attach a baby is for the parent to wear a sling, until the baby becomes mobile he or she will content living in a sling. At night the sling can be use as a hammock for the baby to sleep in. For the comfort of the baby the sling can be lined with a lamb skin and cotton flannel can be use to swaddle the baby if it environment is cold. Depending on the baby’s age he or she may need some form of entertainment so a toy can be included in the sling. To make a sling you will need a length of cotton sheeting at least 2 and ½ time as long as is need to fit the wearer over one shoulder, under one arm and across the front will be needed to make a sling and two fist size welded steel rings. Fold the material in half length ways and then fold it cross ways. Slid the 2 rings to the cross ways fold, gather up the 2 loose ends and weave them through the 2 rings. If you do not have rings you can pass the 2 loose ends through the loop formed by the fold and tie them. To make a hammock knot the loose ends to gather and slide 1 of the rings down to a knot. Spread the rings apart with a length of wood or ant thing else that will hold the rings apart. Passed through the rings and secure the rings to the wood . With cord tied to each end the spreader bar hang the hammock from a beam, tree branch or anything else strong enough to hold it and the baby. A piece if sheer cloth can be draped over the hammock to for a net to keep bugs away from the baby.

The material use to make the sling can also be used to make a sun shade for the baby. Remove the sling, take out any knots, remove the rings and unfold it. After it is unfolded make 2 bows out of saplings and drape the cloth over the saplings. It could also be use to make a tube tent with the ends oriented toward the breeze.

A lambs skin is warm in cold weather and cool in hot weather. Lamb’s skins can also be use as soakers over diapers but if they are not properly taken care of they can become stiff. When a baby lays on a lamb skin air can circulate under the baby capping the baby cooler. When a baby is swaddle with a lamb skins the trapped air will help keep the baby warm.

The immaterial is more important in rising a baby then the material. The love and respect that a parents give a baby does more to shape a baby’s future then a walker, swing or playpen will ever do. By not having mechanical baby setters it forces the child’s caregiver to actually acknowledge the baby’s presence. Parents spend little time with their babies that is not directly related to caring for the baby. . In the PAW parents are going to have to keep their babies with them if they expect the babies to survive. In the PAW due to the need to keep the baby safe in the parents will have to for a tighter bond with their babies. If the parents are working out side they will have to have the baby attached to them. If the baby is left in the shelter to sleep and the BOL is raided the parents could be forced to leave the bay behind or risk death trying to retrieve the baby.

What I consider is the least you will need to care for a baby.
A teat to nurse from.
Sling
Lamb skin
Cotton flannel blanket
Wool blanket
6 cloth flat diapers
3 diaper covers, soakers and/or vinyl/nylon pants.
Someone to love and be loved by

A baby can thrive with only the first and last thing listed but that may be asking too much of parents now days.

When preparing all preppers should stock basic baby items even if they never plain on having a baby. The investment can be kept to a minimum if you shop at yard sales, thrift stores and repurposed items that you have on hand. Bed sheets can be use to make a sling, diapers and clothing. Towels can be used for diapers towels and clothing. Blankets can be cut down for baby sized blankets, diapers and clothing. Wool blankets can also be remade into soakers and clothing. Wash cloths can be use as diaper liners. Scraps of material can be made into a toys, diapers/liners, blankets and clothing. Adults socks can be use for baby leggings to help keep the babies legs warm. Wool sweaters can be use to make legging and hats from the sleeves, blankets and soakers can be made out of the front and back of the sweater. Bands to hold diapers on the baby can be made from the waist band of sweatpants by just cutting it off and cutting it to size to fit snugly around the diaper and the baby then sewing the ends together. Cloth diaper covers that look like underpants and are use to hide a baby’s diaper can be use as under pants without a diaper for toddlers. Since the pants are made to fit over a diaper the 0-3 months will fit a baby around 11-12 months, 3-6M will fit a 15M old and the 6-9M will fit a 18M old there is no law that says that a baby boy can not were a dress, and if you are practicing diaper less parenting having the baby in a dress will make it more convenient to handle the baby’s elimination needs.

Babies, toddlers and even small children do not know what modesty is and as long as they are warm and do not have drafts blowing on them they can be left nude most of the time. The amount of clothing that a child can go through in a week is considerable. A child gets up in the morning dressed in pajamas, puts on their school clothing, comes home dresses in play clothes, dresses in fancy clothes to eat out, comes home puts on fresh play clothing and then dress in clean pajamas after their bath. This is nearly 6 complete changes of clothing and that amounts to around for -
Boys
1 pajamas 3 pairs of underpants 3 pairs of socks 3 t-shirts 1 dress shirt 3 pairs of pants
Girls
1 night gowns 3 pairs of panties, 3 changes of hose, tights, or socks or combinations thereof them, 3 slips 3 dresses

In a weeks time this can come to Boys
7 pajamas 21 pairs of underpants 21 pairs of socks 21 t-shirts 7 dress shirt 21 pairs of pants
Girls
7 night gowns 21 pairs of panties, 21 changes of hose, tights, or socks or combinations thereof them, 21 slips 21 dresses. This is manageable with a washer and dryer but if you have to wash all of the clothing by hand and still grow your own food, guard your property and make all of your own repairs there will just not be enough time. Even babies can use a lot of clothing in a weeks time spitups, diaper blowout and feeding mishaps can amount to 3 or 4 changes a day. It all boils down to time, skin is wash and wear clothing takes time to acquire, wash, repair and dress the baby. The less the baby wears the less time you have to spend dealing with it.

Seeing toddlers and children wearing loin cloths could very well be a common thing in the PAW.

·
That's "Ma'am" to you
2,854 Posts
I don't agree with your calculations of how many times a kids changes their clothes every day. 6 times a day? Really? Clean pajamas every night? Why? How friggin' dirty does the kid get while sleeping? Especially once potty trained, there's no reason for clean clothes every day and clean pajamas every night.

There's a reason for underwear. That's what is next to your skin. THAT needs to be clean but underwear is generally thin, easy to wash and quick to dry. There's also a reason for aprons and coveralls. They cover the OUTSIDE of your clothes so they don't get as dirty.

I agree there is very little a baby really needs. We got a lot of our baby stuff at garage sales. If you time it right and get there right as they are closing you can get a ton of stuff. I got an entire stack of undershirts (about 30 of them) for the change I had in my pocket - under $1.00. The woman was packing the stuff up and just wanted to get rid of it. At another garage sale I got a dozen receiving blankets for about nothing. My babies lived in a diaper and t-shirt. If it was cold I left their footies on all day. Newborns in my family have slept in everything from a dresser drawer to a laundry basket.

The whole "diaperless" thing seems to me to take more time than just washing diapers. I used to work with a woman who washed her baby's diapers every night in the bathtub and hung them over the shower rod to dry.

·
Born to prep
3,728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't agree with your calculations of how many times a kids changes their clothes every day. 6 times a day? Really? Clean pajamas every night? Why? How friggin' dirty does the kid get while sleeping? Especially once potty trained, there's no reason for clean clothes every day and clean pajamas every night.
Yes children need to wear clean cloths to school every day. I did not say anything about 6 changes of cloths a sat is said 3.

The child get up in the morning changes from PJ to schools cloths, comes home changes into play cloths, gets ready goes out to eat with the family and changes in to dress clothing. The least that can be is 1 PJ, 2 underwear, 2 Ts, 1 dress shirt, 2 pairs of socks and 3 pants. As a child I was dressed in clean clothing every day and we owned a junk yard. Do you have any idea the kind of flack there would have been if I had gotten in the Bentley to be driven to school without clean cloths on?

You are right I did miss calculate the PJ given the way the intro was worded. Some children do wear clean PJ each night.

The amount of clothing is meant to be an extreme. But do not think that they out of range, a child gets up in the morning puts on clean underwear to go to school, after playing out side in the water comes in to go to store with mom and put on dry under where and pants , takes a bath before bed and puts on clean under wear after bath that is 3 pairs.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I don't disagree with everything you say, but having 3 children myself I have to say you are greatly over estimating how much clothing they use. especially if they are "prepper" children.

Why on earth would you buy clothing that your kids could not go to school and/or play in after? and then changing into another fresh pair of clothes in order to eat, come home, and change into "clean" play clothes.

not a bad post about conservation until you wandered into that area, I agree that people need to be much more mindful of waste.

·
Born to prep
3,728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Why on earth would you buy clothing that your kids could not go to school and/or play in after? and then changing into another fresh pair of clothes in order to eat, come home, and change into "clean" play clothes.
School uniforms?

Kids get dirty and rip clothing. Clothing is expensive they can play in clothing from the thrift store. I was never allowed to go out with dirty clothing and be seen in pubic. In my post I said eat out not eat in the house. Clothing is expensive they can play in clothing from the thrift store.

Both of you need to get your mind out of thinking in the hear and now and start being able to think postSHTF. This thread is about life in the PAW not as it is now, the part about clothing is to provide contrast.

·
Non semper erit aestas.
3,918 Posts
Both of you need to get your mind out of thinking in the hear and now and start being able to think postSHTF. This thread is about life in the PAW not as it is now, the part about clothing is to provide contrast.
Then I for one am not following you. You are talking about having to wear fresh clothes for school and also eating out, and then chastise your responders for not thinking in a pshtf mindset. In a PAW there may not be schools, and if there are, clothing not being fresh is not going to be an issue.

And going out to eat?? Nobody's going to be doing that in a pshtf world, unless it's "out to eat" around a campfire or at a friend's house, in which latter case clean clothing will be the norm but I doubt there will be a lot of fancy wear. And even nowadays if a family goes out to eat when they get back it's likely to be bedtime anyway, and if not, unless the previous play clothes are absolutely filthy there is no reason not to wear them again.

Your responders *were* replying more in line of how things would be in a pshtf world - it'll likely be more like the 1800's when all but the rich folk had one -two changes of clothing in which they worked and visited (putting on a clean pair for visiting) and perhaps Sunday clothes.

·
Premium Member
1,823 Posts
I had intended to quote you and respond to each paragraph but your original post makes no sense in context. You skip all over and it's impossible to tell if you're speaking of 'modern times' or 'shtf times'. Your comments are rather confusing and insulting in the same breathe because I'm uncertain as to the entire point of it or whether I should personally be insulted by anything and which parts.

You speak of 'actually parenting' as if people who don't do these things are NOT actually parenting. And then in the next sentence that they do too much. What exactly your position on child rearing is isn't immediately (or even remotely) clear. But what IS clear is that you didn't research enough about the practicality of your suggestions or take the time to make them clearly represented.

Your views on children's clothing miss the mark by MILES. A young girl playing in the dirt without underpants is certain to be diseased within a short time. And a parent CAN most certainly launder clothing and diapers by hand sufficiently that it's not necessary to create an unsanitary situation by leaving them nekkid. Clothing is not just for modesty, it's for protection. And your knowledge of infant feeding and needs seems to be woefully lacking.

And quite frankly, if your children live in loin clothes at ANY point in the future it's just plain poor planning and lack of skills on your part.

No matter what happens in the future people will not 'unlearn' the progress that has already been made. And you might do well to consider the well known fact that there are many different parenting styles and some things work for one that does not work for the other. The overall tone of your post is decidedly insulting and presumes that all others fail as parents yet does nothing to actually address or identify what you see as issues.

If you'd care to make an organized list of the topics on parenting you'd like to discuss it would help greatly. Until then I'll try to pick out a couple things from your post and address them.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts