Survivalist Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about survivalism? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm graduating from high school this year, and I've been planning various trips for the summer. One of the trips that I've been bopping around in my mind is spending a few weeks in the woods living with as little in the way of tools and resources as possible. What advice do you experts have on living as minimally as possible? Minimally being catching and gathering my own food, building a shelter, etc. I'm hoping that this will prepare me for a foraging lifestyle after the shtf, and maybe save some money during school? haha

·
living county style
748 Posts
sorry to bust your bubble but its gonna suck being a minimalist. I would at least have the basics man. what are you gonna do about water? drink from the pond full of animal crap.

maybe bring a water bottle and a metal cup to boil the water so you dont get sick and poop your pants all week.maybe some snare wire for squirl and rabbit. fishing pole and some gear for fishing.

its not easy so good luck and be basic not minimal.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm not gonna go completely crazy. I'll bring basics like a GI poncho, a canteen, pants, jacket, fishing pole, and stuff. I want to be able to get by on as little as reasonably possible.

·
living county style
748 Posts
I'm not gonna go completely crazy. I'll bring basics like a GI poncho, a canteen, pants, jacket, fishing pole, and stuff. I want to be able to get by on as little as reasonably possible.
why do you want to have as little as possible? are you making a challenge for your self and see if you can pass it or you just do have much gear.

me,i dont like sleeping on the pure ground. cause i hate ticks and snakes. you just never know when there close.

do you have a sleeping bag and bivy at least. with the bivy is minimal. its like a shelter and keeps the bugs and weather out.:confused:

·
living county style
748 Posts
ive done what your wanting to do and its fun,i learned alot about myself and what i was missing to make my life better in the woods.

if you can try and buy a sleeping mat at walmart or some where. trust me dude if you sleep on the ground with just a bear sleeping bag youll wake up freezing and wet under you.

the mat keeps the moisture from the ground seeping into your bag when your sleeping. and keeps your body warmth in rather then the cold ground. so i always use a mat now

·
Numquam Succumbe
4,173 Posts
Man, my honest opinion is that you can learn to "live off the land" all the while using modern comforts. Bring a tent, sleeping pad, and sleeping bag or blanket, and you're set. It's not reasonable to think that you can just go out and live off the land, trust me, I've been trying for 2 years, lol.

Need to grab you a fine woman to bring for those two weeks, too. Sex in the middle of the woods is pretty rad.

Grats on future graduation! :thumb:

·
living county style
748 Posts
thats alot better, if you can build that with a tarp in the pic above the ground then good.

all iam saying is get off the ground. with a pad,hammock, what ever. i remember i slept in a tent with a sleeping bag with no mat. i woke up with morning dew on the bottom of the tent and cold and wet. so it looks like you have the idea now so now you know what happen to me.

oh and try and dig under leaves and dirt to look for wroms, and under rocks in the dirt for worms to fish. with out bait is super tough man

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
twyggy, I just might have to try that then! A fine woman would make me invest in a pretty sturdy sleeping mat, if you know what I mean. I don't have enough money to buy a solid tent at the moment, unfortunately.

·
Registered
363 Posts
There are quite a few youtube videos on how the set up a GI poncho as a shelter.
A GI canteen with a cup and cook stand all fit into canteen pouch. Worth the $$$$.
Water purification tabs. Seriously, if you can't get a fire going you HAVE to stay hydrated.
You can get along without a poll, make one. But if you have the space and it's light weight take it.
You need a good knife, sheathed, sharpening stone.
If you're staying in one place, take a bowsaw blade. Check out the youtube videos on how to make a frame for it. Makes wood easier to harvest and making a shelter. Light takes no space.
At least three ways to make fire.
Paracord or bankline. 100'
first aid kit. Medications
Bandana

·
Registered
308 Posts
Don't know anything about your skill level, experience, or where you will be doing this. I can't recommend something like what you're suggesting. Before you go full wilderness, why don't you try a camping or backpacking trip with some buddies? Practice skills you will need, try out gear, go on some adventures, and have some good campfire stories.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Experience: I've camped before, did some scouting, and am fairly competent at fire starting and other basic bushcraft.

Reason for not going backpacking like a normal person: This is a trip where I want to hone my survival skills and do something that I'll remember before college.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Experience: I've camped before, did some scouting, and am fairly competent at fire starting and other basic bushcraft.

Reason for not going backpacking like a normal person: This is a trip where I want to hone my survival skills and do something that I'll remember before college.
Lecture:
Don't take anything I'm about to say personally or as a slight -- teenagers change their minds. A lot. I was one, and I used to work with them. I get that you're excited about something like this in October, and hey, that's usually when I start planning my summer vacation and dream about it for the next 8 months or so. If the idea of spending a couple weeks in the wild gets you through the rest of the schoolyear, then I won't take that from you.

I still wouldn't recommend you go through with it, even though you have some basic experience. I still think you could have a really memorable trip doing it a little more conventionally. To say you need a really memorable experience before college is like eating a snack before dinner. It's just not necessary. College will blow your mind, and your real adventure doesn't even begin until you've graduated.

Info:
Looking at Wisconsin, it looks like you've got access to some National Forests up north, as well as the UP of Michigan. National Forests are great for camping; free if you make your own, $10-$20 to camp in a developed campground. You have very few restrictions on what you can or can't do. Look up the NF website and the forests near you, be aware (i.e. print it out and have it on you) of the regulations and rules, and follow them. Also be aware of hunting and fishing laws, as you will need to hunt for small game (rabbit, squirrel, etc) and fish for most of your protein. A .22 rifle would be great to have. Look into wild edibles, preferrably from a person who knows the area and has done it before. Also learn and practice shelter making, firemaking, making and setting traps, orienteering, sharping a knife, tying knots, all that jazz.

Military surplus equipment will be a good place to get gear up. ALICE packs are cheap, poncho, wool blanket, canteen and cup, and so on. You're doing it in the summer, so your biggest danger is getting lost, injury, and not getting enough to eat.

If it were me doing it, I would have a plan for the activities and potential needs , and develop a list of gear based on that. Look at the kind of stuff people put in their BOB/INCH lists.

·
Registered
80 Posts
depending on were ya go you will need more gear

in the south id suggest you get a hammock with a bugnet on it and you can use the poncho as a hammock tarp. you could do the $20 tent from walmart if ya wanna save some moneys but id wager to say youll sleep better in a hammock. and you will need a sleeping pad either way

a dutchoven if you can find one at a thrift store, you can cook just about anything with it. and a grill that was tossed from a charcoal grill, ya can put it strait over a fire and cook

a sawyer squeeze waterfilter (cheapest and imo best backpacking waterfilter)

also id bring in a 2l soda bottle full of rice and one full of something else ... beans would work.

id suggest ya watch this on youtube

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Demonfurbie: Thanks for the link to the video, I'm planning on watching that over the next few days. Also, the 2l soda bottles full of rice and beans are a good storage idea, I like it.

You guys are right, the planning is helping me get through my school year. I don't necessarily think that's bad though. And of course, I'll tell parents and friends where I've gone.

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Nice idea and the makings of either a trip of a life time. Or a mention on the 6 o'clock news. Not ragging on you or trying to put you off, hell, I'm cheering you on! Just saying is all. The rice and beans idea is an excellent one, but dont forget salt. I'd also include a box of fuel tabs or non toxic fire lighters in case you need easy heat/cooking or wet fire starting. How about setting yourself a maximum weight, say 5 kilos or the contents of a day pack?

The lads are right tho, sort yourself a comfortable bed, whatever the day may hold is more easily dealt with on a good night's sleep. Also give some thought to a good air pistol of you dont/cant carry a .22 pistol of some sort. The forage options are exponential compared to 'bare hands'. Also treat your self to a 6X8 piece of heavy black plastic or a cheap wallyworld tarp as well as your poncho. Weighs nothing and you'll be praising it to high heaven at 2am when the rain is belting and where you are is the only dry place around. Have fun!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts