Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does any one have any experience growing Miniature and Dwarf Fruit Trees in a pot. I want to get a variety of them. I want to get a apple & orange trees to start with. Does the trees really produce 20-30 pieces of fruit trough the season or does it produce less? Are these trees worth having around?

The reason i am looking in to them is because where i am living now is temporary. So do not want to get a full size tree to have fruit. If the trees are in a pot they can move when i move.

What are your thoughts?

Thanks,

·
Registered
446 Posts
Dwarf fruit trees seem to be ideal if you only have a limited amount of space in your patio/yard. Although they are smaller than other fruit trees, their fruit is just the same size and they taste great not to mention that their lack of height makes them easier to prune and harvest.

To be honest I know very little about them but my girlfriend has several varieties that do well on the patio of her condo. She has not had any difficulties that I know of and I believe she got all the information she needed off one website and from the nursery.

·
Registered
3,812 Posts
I don't see why you can't keep them in a pot for a while. After all some of the trees are already blooming when you buy them, or have small fruit even. You'd need larger pots than what you purchase them in, and keep in mind you'll need to water more frequently than if they were in the ground because pots dry out faster.

·
Registered
445 Posts
Depending upon the variety, we have had limited success with the dwarf trees. Several years ago, we planted pears, apple, and peach trees. All dwarf. Over the course of 4 or 5 years, all have died, except for the pear tree. And it is growing straight up, regardless of how you prune it. :xeye:

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Does any one know where i could buy them. I have search all surrounding nurses two towns over, and still can not find them. I may have to order them online. Has any one had success with plants that are ordered online?

·
Semper Fi
2,808 Posts
When you settle, you can put them in the yard There they will take root 'n get old, produce alot of fruit- with careful pruning and fertilizer Dwarves are less hardy to cold than semi-dwarf/full size BUT they bear crops earlier You can always move the young trees to shelter in winter.......

·
The Lord's Servant
2,248 Posts
Does any one know where i could buy them. I have search all surrounding nurses two towns over, and still can not find them. I may have to order them online. Has any one had success with plants that are ordered online?
Stark Brothers is where I buy mine at. They've always been helpful and their prices are good.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Not having much luck much luck finding drawf trees.

But can i grow a regular orange tree in a pot?

·
Registered
5,613 Posts
Been doing just such a project for the last 5 years since I am a full time RVer, just dont move around too terribly much. When I do move its usually still fairly local.

I am growing Peach, Pear, Plum, Tangerines and Mexican Limes. Yes you can easily get several dozen fruits from such a tree. If this past Winter wouldnt have been so brutal and caused a lot of die back on my Tangines I would be expecting about 5-7 dozen fruits like I have in the previous years. I got about the smae from my Peach tree last year. The mexican Lime I bought last year didnt survive the winter but I did get another one this season to try again and I am sure I am going to get at least a 100 plus limes off it if not double that.

I grow mine in large pots that hold about as much dirt as a Whiskey Barrel Half. I use a really rich loamy soil in them, heavily mulch them to keep the moisture content consistent. I keep rabbits so I am always adding rabbit doo to the surface of the soil through out the year to prevent the soil from becoming nutrient deficent. Its worked well for me thus far. If I have to move I just reduce the watering a bit to lighten the load and make it easier to move the pots which can be quiet heavy. The trees are heavily pruned to keep the trees compact and under 8 feet tall. Think Bonsia tree just in a bit bigger format.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Been doing just such a project for the last 5 years since I am a full time RVer, just dont move around too terribly much. When I do move its usually still fairly local.

I am growing Peach, Pear, Plum, Tangerines and Mexican Limes. Yes you can easily get several dozen fruits from such a tree. If this past Winter wouldnt have been so brutal and caused a lot of die back on my Tangines I would be expecting about 5-7 dozen fruits like I have in the previous years. I got about the smae from my Peach tree last year. The mexican Lime I bought last year didnt survive the winter but I did get another one this season to try again and I am sure I am going to get at least a 100 plus limes off it if not double that.

I grow mine in large pots that hold about as much dirt as a Whiskey Barrel Half. I use a really rich loamy soil in them, heavily mulch them to keep the moisture content consistent. I keep rabbits so I am always adding rabbit doo to the surface of the soil through out the year to prevent the soil from becoming nutrient deficent. Its worked well for me thus far. If I have to move I just reduce the watering a bit to lighten the load and make it easier to move the pots which can be quiet heavy. The trees are heavily pruned to keep the trees compact and under 8 feet tall. Think Bonsia tree just in a bit bigger format.
OK so if i wanted to grow a regular tangerine tree in a pot it will produce fruit? About what size pot would it need for a tree just bought from the store? and how often should i water it.

·
Prepared Gourmet
2,964 Posts
There is a lot of info online about how to care for dwarf fruit trees growing in pots. I don't know a particular site to send you too but if you 'google' dwarf fruit tree growers/sellers or something of that kind you will find a lot of good information on several sites.

I don't have any yet but hope to get some myself soon. Too cold for them here in the winter outdoors so I need them to be in pots which can be moved inside in winter. What I have read is that they like to be rootbound so it is not necessary to immediately repot them when you get them. They are heavy feeders (need a lot of fertilization) but that can be handled with an 'in ground' fertilizer type stick made for that purpose, perhaps twice a year. They do require a lot of sun apparently and I hope I have sufficient light for them where I want to put them when they move indoors (it is good light but it is not south facing so we will see). You will need to water them about twice a week most likely, depending on the humidity in your house or the air outside.

·
Registered
5,613 Posts
OK so if i wanted to grow a regular tangerine tree in a pot it will produce fruit? About what size pot would it need for a tree just bought from the store? and how often should i water it.

I bought Satsuma Tangerine Trees. You can usually find them at Wally World, Lowes, Home Depot and nurserys from about April till May here in Texas. They run about 29-39 fun dollars each. I got most of mine on clearence for 3.00 bucks each...yeah thats right, that wasnt a typo! So even loosing 3 of the 6 due to the harsh winter here this season I still came out smelling like a vase full of fresh cut roses.

You need a pot that will hold at least 3 cu ft of soil. I think Wally World has some that retial for about 25.00 fun dollars and they are the smallest I would buy. Whiskey Barrel haves will hold a cu ft more or so but are retialing for 39.00 here at the moment.

Soil, I used a good compost mixed in heavily with some quality garden mix soil from the nursery bought by the yard. Becuase mine get hammered by the sun from sun up till sun down I also added a couple of scoops of peat to hold water. Your biggest concerns with your soil is that it not get compacted and that it be capable of holding moisture consistently. Adding the rabbit doo keeps the soil from getting nutrient deficient which will happen quickly after the first season.

Pruning is critical, both to keep the tree compact and to keep it sturdy for bearing fruit. A couple of tangerines or peaches on a frail limb will eventually break it off the tree. Fruit is heavy especially in a brisk wind! Another thing that I do is make sure that each twig has only one fruit on it. If there are 2 or 3 more forming on that twig I will remove the smaller inferior ones so that I can get large firm sweet tasting fruit of the remaining fruits.

I have used the following trees thus far...

Loring Peach (1)
Bartlett Pear (1)
Sweet August Sensation Plum (1)
Satsuma Tangerine (4)
Mexican Lime (1)
Myers Lemon (1)

All are self fertile varieties and dont need a pollinator (according to the tags). The Bartlett however, although being self fertile, will greatly benefit if there is another variety planted with it that will bloom at the same time. Your production will be much heavier if your tree can support that much fruit.

·
Registered
67 Posts
My brother and sister-in-law have several raised gardens, and they've recently added a dwarf meyer lemon tree...I can't wait! Meyer lemon/basil sorbet is one of my favorite home made delights!

B

·
Registered
3,601 Posts
there are neat little trees perfect for planting online at Starks, and the like... they have developed columnular trees, which bear full sized apples but stay a managable size in a large pot.

http://www.starkbros.com/search/query/colonnade?gclid=CMHr1ZuHrKgCFUS8KgodvVa76Q

·
Research, Learn, Share
819 Posts
How many seasons does it take before the tree you buy begins to fruit?

You have me eager to try growing them. I would love to have an apple, cherry, meyer lemon and maybe a banana.

·
Registered
5,613 Posts
My Satstuma Tangerines, Mexican Lime, and Loring Peach produced fruit the first season I had it after purchasing at Lowe's or Wally World. This is only my first season with the Plum and its not produced anything or showed any signs of forming fruit yet. The Pear Tree is in its second season and has yet to show any signs of producing fruit.

While I have been doing this sort of thing with the Tangerine trees for 5 seasons already, this is really only my second season and in the case of the plum the first season I have expanded intto other types of trees based off previous successes.

·
Registered
650 Posts
I went to Lowes the other day and they had a few dwarf fruit trees for $20. I went to WM today and they had "semi dwarf" fruit trees.

I am going to pick up some from Lowes since there is more variety there and I'd like to get two different apple trees and a peach tree to try out this year.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts