Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Rush Chairman
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

I am new to the ranks.

What is your take on relying on a mini-14 for a main gun in a SHTF situation?

I appreciate any words of wisdom you can offer.

Z

·
American fearmaker
14,248 Posts
I've had 3 of them. I will never own another Mini-14. As you shoot them, the impact point changes because the gun gets warmer and parts expand. Your bullet strikes will move upwards with every shot and then when they cool down it starts all over again.

Get yourself a good M-4 type carbine and go for the better accuracy. Mini-14s are better than nothing but they lack more than a good AK or AR or M-4 type carbine. For the price of a Mini-14 you can get a decent AK type rifle, some extra magazines and a bit of ammo too.

·
Registered
85 Posts
if that what you currently have i think it will do fine for you. i have a stainless one and like shooting it. it NEVER jammed on me and i've put a number of different rounds though it.
i tried sprucing it up with a synthetic stock but ended up taking it off and putting back on the wood one...i like the feel of the wood.
i use the regular sights and have good consistent groups w/ it.
though i wish i wouldn't have been a cheap skate and would have bought an m1a....knockdown power!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
559 Posts
Run what ya brung!

I have owned a few and currently own the new model in stainless. I have never experienced point of impact shifts as mentioned above. They are not as reliable as a well made AR or AK but for what most people will go through post SHTF I think they can handle it.

I don't see them as a jump out of an airplane, crawl through the mud type of gun but how many people expect to that?

·
Rush Chairman
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Thanks for the words guys. I have been roaming around checking prices for the last few days. My first choice would have been the AR. I used the gau-5 and M4 extensively in the military. Sadly, the price is just a little high for me.

BTW - I just got back from a gunshow this afternoon. The line to get in, the line to sign up for CCW classes, the packed aisles, the elevated prices, etc., etc. I was shocked...but I degress...

Anyway, I was thinking about an AK, but a friend brought suggestion mini-14. He mentioned the commonly debated advantages of the .223 and also mentioned the cheaper price tag of the rifle. It got me thinking.

I love reading the comments of you gentlemen that are more knowledgeable than I.

·
Where da' gold at?
566 Posts
While i have a mini-14, and I think they are passable for what most people would need it for, personally I would get an AK that shot .223. I love my Ak, an it is way more reliable than a mini-14. The only downside is to be sure to get plenty of .223 mags for the AK version.

·
Registered
7,224 Posts
If you have the option I would go AR or AK.
If you do get a Mini be damn sure to buy factory mags for it.
I'm told the new Mini with the thicker barrel does not have that wandering zero problem anymore but I don't know personally.
I had two, 180 series and a Ranch and sold them.
Stainless and blue.
They both got hot and point of impact would go where it wanted.
The stainless got hot insanely fast.
By all means if you think you will just be dealing with the occasional idiot or two a Mini is likely OK, if you are under the impression you will be doing battle with hoards get something built for it.
Minis are just not fighting rifles.
BUY FACTORY RUGER MAGS!

·
Registered
58 Posts
I think it all depends on how long you expect to have to endure a SHTF scenario - and what type of scenario that is most likely to resemble. Any respectable carbine will be adequate for a short enough duration against a small enough volume of aggressors.

·
watching for zombies
19 Posts
i do not own a mini-14...however i have shot quite a few of them...as they are a favorite with some of my friends...they are a decent firearm...(but i also am kinda biased when it comes to rugers)...my weapon of choice has been an ar...i have always had better accuracy and reliability...and have always been able to out shoot my friends with their mini's...as far a accuracy...i blame that on their rifles...because all of us are decent shots...mini-14's are much better than nothing...but if you can save a little longer...i am pretty sure you will be much happier in the long run saving for the ar...

·
Rush Chairman
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Cranky - to answer your question...I was actually thinking of a "Patriots" TEOTWAWKI type gun. Something that is durable, and parts/ammo are easy to find after stores are closed, yadda, yadda.

I am certainly leaning towards an M-4 type rifle. That is what I am used to. I have also considered an AK based on all the usual stuff.

Frankly, I was considering the mini-14 because a local gun shop currently has a handfull for sale for less than $400. I have no experience with the rifle, but a close buddy of mine absolutely loves his. He has had it forever.

Most of all, I just like talking about this stuff. Thanks for all the comments guys.:D:

·
Certifiable
723 Posts
If you are just fooling around and not into serious rifle stuff by all means a $400 mini can be better than an AR when you look at prices, especially today. I own both and shoot both. I would have no qualms with a mini. Of course I love the action, I also own the M1A and Garand that the mini is built after. Yes the point of impact can wander after the barrel heats up on the older ones but the AK never is accurate to begin with. Something else to consider is the SKS but try to get a Russian or Chinese pristine, not something that has been shot with corrosive ammo and not cared for. And do not start trying to make the SKS look like an AK, appreciate it for what it is.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I don't quite understand the posters that dislike Mini-14 yet have owned more than one of them. As far as under 400 for a mini-14..that seems like a really good price to me.

"Go with what you have" In a SHTF situation, I don't think it matters. When I seriously considered SHTF, I realized I *didn't even have a rifle*, so I immediately bought a Ruger 10/22 and 1000 rounds. Problem solved. Reliable, can stockpile ammo immediately, high cap magazines, no fuss. As time went on and S did not HTF, I upgraded to an M4 by Panther. As time has continued to move on, and the S still does not HTF, I have begun collecting steel core ammunition and maintaining a stockpile of 1000 for that.

Let me clarify though, I bought way more than a rifle initially. Especially looking at these forums, I realized I was not prepared for...anything! I bought my ALICE pack, some durable fatigues, some North Face cold weather gear/thermals, some canteens, and a few weeks worth of groceries that are fairly portable and most importantly, that I like to eat. I have enough water for a few weeks as well. I bought some good all terrain hiking shoes (Merrel Chameleons) that I wear every single day. I upgraded all of my khaki slacks to khaki or black denim cargo pants. That kind of thing. I go camping a couple of times a month and evaluate what I pack and what I need.

I consider the rifle a part of the whole and even though I do own an AP4, the 10/22 is just as likely to make the cut if things really go wrong.

·
Registered
18,814 Posts
Cranky - to answer your question...I was actually thinking of a "Patriots" TEOTWAWKI type gun. Something that is durable, and parts/ammo are easy to find after stores are closed, yadda, yadda.

I am certainly leaning towards an M-4 type rifle. That is what I am used to. I have also considered an AK based on all the usual stuff.

Frankly, I was considering the mini-14 because a local gun shop currently has a handfull for sale for less than $400. I have no experience with the rifle, but a close buddy of mine absolutely loves his. He has had it forever.

Most of all, I just like talking about this stuff. Thanks for all the comments guys.:D:
There is no question that the older Mini-14s need a bit of work to bring in the accuracy but it's nothing drastic. They Are by and far extremely reliable. The single accuracy issue is the thin barrel that is used to keep the weight down, has terrible harmonics, If you change out the front sight for a Madsen flash suppressor/sight combo you will change that, if you go further,open the madsen supressor up abit so it will fit further back on the barrel, and shorten the barrel the length of the supressor/sight unit and install it, bringing the barrel OAL back to the original length, you will massively inprove the accuracy AND lessen shot stringing as the barrel heats. Just remember that the supressor must be pinned in place making it permanent AND to properly crown the barrel to maintain accuracy, or have it professionally done. At this point bedding the action will help as well as a good trigger job. At 400 bucks, you can afford to do this and still save money over an AR.

:zombie

1 - 20 of 50 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.