Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 82 Posts

·
Travel Light
1,532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In the market for a small tractor, and I mean SMALL, for a Micro Farm. My budget is small, like $3000 small. I'm really liking the Ford 1210/1220. It's the perfect size and seems to have pretty much every attachment one could conceivably need. The main uses would be lawn mowing, snow removal, tilling, and other farmy type chores.

What are your opinions on this tractor, and what others should I be considering?

·
6 Boys and 13 Hands
10,713 Posts
Here's a site where you can get technical information on both.

http://www.tractordata.com/farm-tractors/000/2/4/248-ford-1210.html

http://www.tractordata.com/farm-tractors/005/9/2/5925-ford-1220.html

Chances of running across someone here on this site that owned or owns one might be fairly remote. You might want to find a Ford lawnmower forum and ask around there.

Smallest utility tractor we owned was a 53 Ford Jubilee with all the implements and we used the heck out of it.
Loader
Disk
3 bottom plow
Two row cultivator
Roller
Rotary Hoe
Grader blade
Bush Hog

You might look at 8n Fords also and if you can find the right deal $3,000 might get you one with several implements.

·
Not my concern....
662 Posts
I have been contemplating a tractor for my place as well....

Have you considered a walk behind tractor?

http://earthtoolsbcs.com/html/walk-behind_tractors.html

It has all the same attachments as a full on riding tractor but the cost is a little more within my range and I feel that is would be much more useful / economical in my situation for what I would actually need a tractor for.

·
Apocaloptimist
2,748 Posts
I would save a little more and get a small Kubota or Kioti tractor that has a front-end loader. They are worth their weight in gold around the hobby farm. I have this one:

Keep searching craigslist, there are deals to be had. This one is in my area and I have seen some between 4 and 5 thousand.
http://austin.craigslist.org/grd/5463836681.html

·
Travel Light
1,532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I know you can get a front end loader with the Ford 1210/1220

That Kubota is way too big, I couldn't even get that down the path to the property, let alone up and down that path regularly like I'd need it to, not to mention the price. Cheapest I see them for is 6000US beat to hell, that's $12000CDN...way more than my $3000 budget.

Thanks though, they are nice, and would be great for another farm.

·
If I had a voice I'd sing
7,138 Posts
If you really do have a a mini farm I can't see that you'll be satisfied with such a small tractor.

A few years ago I paid $1800 for my 30hp 1953 Harry Ferguson, which is about the size of a Ford 9N. Smaller than that Kubota but big enough to drill fence posts holes, plow the road, and drag big logs around. And has a 3 pt hitch, so I can add the plow, disc, etc.

·
Registered
3,220 Posts
I've got a 1988 Ford 1520 which is the next frame size up from the 1220. It's a good little tractor. I mow 4 acres with a 6' finish mower. Also have a 5' Bushhog mower. Use a 5' snow blower and 6' grader blade to keep the 1,000' driveway cleared in the winter.

Don't know how small your place is but this is the perfect size tractor for my place.

·
Micro-homesteader
667 Posts
In the market for a small tractor, and I mean SMALL, for a Micro Farm. My budget is small, like $3000 small. I'm really liking the Ford 1210/1220. It's the perfect size and seems to have pretty much every attachment one could conceivably need. The main uses would be lawn mowing, snow removal, tilling, and other farmy type chores.

What are your opinions on this tractor, and what others should I be considering?
I have a small 5 acre farm. I started with a Yanmar 1610D (4wd w/loader & filled rear tires). It has a 19HP, 16 at the PTO. Very nice small tractor. Could only use 4' implements though (depending on implement, rule of thumb is 5' per PTO HP). I found it a little on the small side when bush hogging -- was always wishing the 4' bush hog were about 2' wider.

Now I have a 35HP Kubota L3400HST which is very nice. Have a 6; finishing mower which really cleans up my place fast! Still have the Yanmar and it's for sale! Not in real good shape though.

But, it I were you, I'd save up some more. I'd make sure to get 4WD and a loader. The 4WD is important on small tractors for traction (i.e., plowing gardens/fields, box blading drive way, etc). A loader is MUCH cheaper to buy with the tractor than to add later and will double the usefulness of the tractor. 4WD is also important with a loader because with a load on the front, you can lose traction on the rear.

And make sure it's diesel (hard and dangerous to store gas, easy and safe to store diesel) and liquid cooled (has radiator and water pump). Also make sure you stress it for 30-45 min before buying to make sure it doesn't overheat -- a problem with small used tractors that could mean expensive repairs. And check for bubbles in the radiator -- big sign of head gasket or cracked block. Should not smoke much when idling. Also keep in mind the small tractors are Chinese or Japanese made. Ford uses Shibaura engines, and John Deer uses Yanmar engines. Nothing wrong with Yanmars -- good, well built small tractors.

Hope that helps!

--- Lobanz

·
Registered
627 Posts
Tractors in this size range can be had for $1500 - 2500 all day long, at least here in Texas- maybe they are harder to find in your area, idk.

I farmed 2/3 of an acre with a Hinomoto E16- a small 2 cylinder diesel 16hp tractor I bought off craigslist for $1800. It had plenty of power and traction, and coupled with a small middle buster plow and disk from the local tractor supply, it worked the land fine.

I sold it for $1200 a few years ago still in good shape.

Something like this:
http://houston.craigslist.org/grd/5459243813.html

·
Registered
11 Posts
small tractor

there are some inexpensive farm tractors from the old USSR, Belarus tractors are pretty rugged after you fix the oil leaks, I used to service them for a dealer. I would tell my customers to give me 6 months to get all the bugs worked out and they would love the tractor, I only had one dissatisfied customer. A used one should have the bugs already worked out so you would be ahead of the game.

·
Registered
813 Posts

·
Registered
1,471 Posts

A "walking" or two-wheeled tractor might be just what you need.
Easier to get into than a mini/micro tractor and will still be able to do the job.
Check it out....
https://www.google.com/search?q=wal...X&ved=0ahUKEwiOlZjOlaPLAhVC32MKHVOMB18QsAQIGw

DCman

·
Registered
137 Posts
We have 8.5 acres. Our tractor is a JD 3120. 29 HP diesel, belly mower, brush hog, rear blade, PTO sprayer, rear scoop. It does all we need done around here. As we have lots of trees, my wife has a JD x310 18 HP garden tractor with mower deck hydraulically operated. We have a JD 8 HP rear tine tiller, and a Walmart push mower. That takes care of our needs around here.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Those little Fords are pretty good little dudes. One of my neighbors has one, and he uses the heck out of it. It has limited power but you usually can find a way to work around that by thinking ahead. He has a shredder, small finish mower, tiller, and a loader. It's a handy tool, and doesn't cost much to operate.

One thing I would do on any tractor I was looking to buy is check local availability of repair, and maintenance parts. Price of those parts is also a consideration. Napa Auto, for instance, has always had everything I needed for my 1971 Ford 3000 at a reasonable price.

I forgot something. 4wd is a big plus on compact tractors, either that, or wheel weights/water filled tires. They just don't have the weight to get what power they produce to the ground. I don't know if Ford made that tractor in 4wd. I have a little Iseki I use for tilling my garden. The only thing I don't like is the lift (3-point) is either all up, or all down.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I had a similar though larger compact tractor, Ford 2110, it was 38hp I think but same manufacturer. I had no problems with it at all. I did have some slight problem with the local ford/new holland parts counter finding it in their books.

In my case 40hp was a little too big for some stuff and a little too little for others but still a great tractor. The one thing I would do differently is definitely buy something with a loader if you are doing anything remotely serious. It is truly a shame to have that HP available and not be able to use it fully.

-- Just to put it out there, tilling exposes the organics in your soil to oxygen and burns 'em up—it is the very same process that breaks down your compost pile—except you want things to break down slowly in the soil. I know, it sucks! I had a King Cutter tiller behind that Ford and it would make a seed bed just as smooth as silk, it was a thing of beauty. I had a hard time not just tilling up beds everywhere!

·
Registered
5,588 Posts
What can you envision doing, with a tractor?
Front end loader.... wow they are so handy.
I can argue, it is worth more $ to avoid surgery and back problems.

150 feet of driveway scraping is alot, for a sub 20HP.
What is your acreage? 2 acres, sub 20HP will work.
A small tractor 4' wide, with 4' implements is very handy.
I had 16HP diesel on 8 acres, for 4 years and sold it for what I paid for it.
It was a garden tractor with narrow tires.

Picked up a JD30+ with Loader, and a bouncey seat. Ahhhh, what an easy ride on the back. 30+HP is popular because it fits this nitch, mini farm, and is still towable. Although it is built for loader and mower work, still does garden stuff.

Kubotas are very popular and have a good reputation with landscapers. Got a deal on my JD, couldn't pass up.

·
Militant Normal
10,410 Posts
Another vote for the old Ford 8N. Despite it being 50 years old, there is no spare part that you cannot get, and for reasonable prices, except the main castings. The minimum tractor should have a 3-point hitch, and the 8N has one.

Only thing I miss is a front end loader. I bought one for it, but I haven't missed it enough to mount it up. I have a carry-all platform for the 3-point that can handle 300-400 lbs without getting the front end too light. Anything heavier I use a trailer.

I did convert mine to 12 volt alternator.

·
Chairborne Commando
48 Posts

I'm planning on getting a Raven from Lowes. They retail in my area for $3,000, less the 10% Lowes discount would make it $2,700.

This is an all purpose rig in that the mower attachment can be removed, it can be used as a plow, you can add a tiller, it can tow, it can be used a mobile 7100 watt generator (tons of power plugs), and it can be used as a 4x4.

http://www.drpower.com/power-equipm...AQkM-UKDPlfldotCpZJz4iJLZgIV6SenykaAnbQ8P8HAQ

1 - 20 of 82 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.