Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have experience with small pen-size fishing rds like this one (not necessarily that exact model)? Seems like a good idea to throw in your bag, doesn't take up much room. Any of these worth getting?

·
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒ&
8,248 Posts
I think that they are a novelty. Something to do when board. I do not see much more than some small perch being caught with it. Due ot the size of the reel, you are very limited in the strength and length of the line.

Your will serve yourself better by getting a full sized telescopic pole and standard reel. I keep two of them in my BOV with the tire jack along with fishing gear and a grasshopper cage.

·
Premium Member
2,339 Posts
Save your money and try some hobo fishing with a can. You have to wait until about 1.51 minutes for the fishing part.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Anyone have experience with small pen-size fishing rds like this one (not necessarily that exact model)? Seems like a good idea to throw in your bag, doesn't take up much room. Any of these worth getting?
I would say don't do it, I have done a lot of mountain, river, lake, delta, and ocean fishing for anything from small brookies (<6") all the way to a 3 foot shovelhead shark . Even the small compact poles bother me beause if you hook something big or ferocious ( brookies) it will snap, and that was with the mini poles that are just 3 peices and a small reel. It's cheap enough that you can try it and test it, but i would not take it unless it atually works to cath anything bigger than a few ounces, presonally I'd rather go with a sturdy stick as the rod and beer can tops as rivlets. I know some of you don't have as much experience with fishing or you think your bad but at least get a decent sized rod with a backapccking reel. Ive found that similar to (most) knves, flashlights, guns, w/e you get what you pay for. I wouldn't want that flimsy antenna as a rod.
also its a "as seen on TV" thing, normally those are scams, but for 6$ its worth a try i suppose, I'm sticking with two rods and two reels ( one heavy duty, the other light and weak, but thats me, I can reliable fish for my food in a high mountain area, which is where i plan on bugging out to:)

·
Registered
13 Posts
I picked up the emmrod myself and got a nice abu garcia ambassadeur c4 reel to compliment it. The rod is rated for 25lb fish. I haven't used it yet but it seems of pretty decent quality, plus it extremely compact and would easily fit in a decent BOB. Spooled it with some braided spiderwire, good to go.

·
Kibitzer
6,631 Posts
You can have the best fishing gear money can buy and still not catch any fish.
Stick with line, hook and bobber can catch fish just as good as any $K gear.
Plus, you need river, pond/lake to catch the fish too. There's too many dry river/lake beds near me to carry too much fish gear. Better to carry snares.
And, what are these "forests" some folk talk about??

1 - 10 of 10 Posts