Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am considering a Mini30 for my primary weapon.
Can you all give me reasons why I may or may not
want to do this, before I do it (tomorrow).

·
Banned
630 Posts
The problem with Ruger minis is the availablility of spare parts and the magazines are expensive....The carbine functions okay, but I don't know how they will hold up...If you are going to the 7.62X39 cal, I would suggest you get an SKS or an AK...They will not let you down and there are plenty of spare parts and much cheaper magazines for the AK...plenty of aftermarket accessories as well......

·
Banned
4,937 Posts
Ditto with the guy above.
Mini's are just too expensive--and too many problems associated with them.

AK's or SKS's are your better option.

Now you should look into an SKS--an SKS-D or M model with 20 inch barrel, they take AK mags.

Scroll down for the photos...

http://www.sksboards.com/smf/index.php?topic=440.0

If you can own own one in your state this is a much better alternative to a Ruger Mini. Cheaper, more reliable, better availablity of parts, shoots straigher than an AK, higher muzzle velocity and so on...

You may have to hunt around a bit for one of these, but if you can lay your hands on one--grab it. They should go for around 400 bucks. Mags are now about 20 bucks a hit. Also get a Chinese fiberglass jungle stock and modify it to accept the ak-magwell, then you will trully have something bitchen. You can also remove the bayonet if you wish if it comes with one.

If you really can't find a D/M-SKS, get a Saiga AK with 20 inch barrel. Can be easily modified to accept AK mags (dinzag arms), can be fully converted over to the AK layout, cheaper, best built AK on the market. Go to Saiga12.com to check these out--go to the photos section. I own a Saiga and love it (also two SKS's) You'll be surprised...

http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?showtopic=13290

http://www.tromix.com/Welcome.htm

Actually either a Saiga AK or a SKS-D/M will be great.

A Mini 30/15 is a good weapon, but not the best choice for a primary.

Your absolute best choice for a primary would be an M1-A. (standard model, no stainless barrel, no donkey rails, etc.)
Yeah, these are expensive, but if you have the cash--get one.

T

·
Endure-Adapt-Overcome
332 Posts
I have a Mini-14 in .223 and love it. I have got extra parts for it and they were not hard to find, they did cost alot. If TSHTF parts maybe alot harder to find I don't know. With the Mini-14 alot of people have them because they are a great little gun. I would never get rid of that gun. As for the Mini-30 I have never shot one but Kev our leader here has and had one here is a video he posted about the mini-30
http://www.survivalistboards.com/showthread.php?t=7749
I hope you pick soon I think our time for buying guns may be running short.

And as the others said about the SKS, AK and M1-A you can't go wrong with any one of these guns.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I have one as well. They are a ton of fun to shoot. I have the stainless version and have outfitted it with an inexpensive laser scope - we'll see how that works. If not I can always see through the mount and use the iron sights. As far as its reliability, my thought initially was that you can't go wrong with a Ruger product, and have never had an jamming or functionality issues at the range. I have owned a few Ruger pistols and a Mini-14 at one time, and they have never given me cause for concern. I did hear one thread on another site that mentioned something about the barrel getting very hot with continued rapid fire, but have not been in any situation that I can verify this or not.

Anyone out there know of an issue with barrel heat?

My limited experience with the Mini-30 is positive, but listen to those with more time under their belts if you are going to shell out a bunch of dough!

·
Certifiable
723 Posts
With the recent jump in prices and in availability of guns mini's might be a good deal right now if you have the cash. I vote for the .223 but the 30 is not a bad rifle. Just make sure you buy the newer version of the rifle. The older versions of the rifle had very slim barrels that would heat up and string shots after a full magazine in rapid fire or several magazines. The newer guns have fixed these problems. As far as the action etc it is patterned after the Garand and M-14 action so it could not have a better pedigree. Magazines will be your biggest problem. Always use steel magazines, factory are the best, followed by USA, at least twenty years ago, that's when I bought all of my mags.

·
Registered
33 Posts
The reason I got my mini-30 was because it uses the same ammo as my SKS. That and there was no paperwork with my mini that "I don't have:rolleyes:".

·
Live Secret, Live Happy
16,113 Posts
I owned a mini 30 for 10 years now. Shot about 1K rounds through it, mostly reloads, no jams, no part breakage. I bought a second one last October, just in time to pick it up on election day.

It is not built like an AK or SKS, and the 7.62x39 does not have the trajectory to shoot beyond 2-300 yds, but it is a damn reliable commercial weapons that carries well and shoot reliably.

·
Live Secret, Live Happy
16,113 Posts
I also live on the left coast. I bought a mixture of 5, 20, and 30 round mags before they were banned. High cap USA mags have worked well for me, even with PSP handloads. These days you would have to buy them at an out of state gun show.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Yeah In my opinion a Russian sks is a better bang for your buck weapon. It will be more reliable, comparably priced, and its easier to convert to .... well something a little more nasty

·
Getting there....
1,231 Posts
I'd pass on the Mini-30

I am considering a Mini30 for my primary weapon.
Can you all give me reasons why I may or may not
want to do this, before I do it (tomorrow).
In my view, they're a bit pricey out of the box and Ruger aftermarket parts seem difficult to come by. I'd go with a 1949-50 Soviet SKS because of cheap parts, easy field repairs, and a fixed 10 round magazine. You can spend the $ you'd use on magazines for ammunition, parts, clips, and such.

·
Live Secret, Live Happy
16,113 Posts
I have been using terms like good commercial gun vs military guns for some time. The Mini 30 is a good commercial gun but should not be confused with a military weapon like a SKS or AK which has a chromed chamber, thick deep rifling, and thicker barrel to prevent over heating during extensive sustained firing. An AK might not be nearly as accurate as a commercial gun, but it is a lot more durable.

·
Registered
9,550 Posts
I have looked at the Mini 30 off and on over the years...It's a good firearm. Pricy though.
When it came right down to it I went with the AK for the 7.62x39.
Communist cartridge communist gun, seemed to me like a natural pairing.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts