Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Guy Who Does That Thing
593 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just shot a 1/2 inch grouping @ 100 yards with mine at the range. My cousing was amazed lol. I use Silver Bear SP with a Centerpoint scope. That's right, a WALMART scope. No gun vice rest either. I'll post pics as soon as my stupid email works. I know in one pic i got one shot exactly in the same spot as the shot before it.

I think most accuracy problems start with the user.

·
Live Secret, Live Happy
15,797 Posts
Glad to hear your having luck.

I have have not had the pleasure to shoot one of the truly poor Ruger Mini's I keep hearing about, but based on the internet chatter they must have built some real stinkers at one time. I own two Ruger Mini-30s and have had decent luck as well. They seem to like ammo loaded with a bullet dia that matches the throat and the bore.

·
Guy Who Does That Thing
593 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
lets see your set up. was thinking of getting one. it shoots surplus ammo ok? thanx.
My email isn't accepting the pics from my phone for some reason. My setup is nothing special at all. I have a $10 muzzle break, a pair of Ruger rings & a Centerpoint 4-14x40 scope that cost $70 at Walmart. I only shoot Silver Bear. I rest it on a bag at the range is all. My hand-eye coordination is very good though.

·
I stand alone!
3,216 Posts
lets see your set up. was thinking of getting one. it shoots surplus ammo ok? thanx.
Here's mine trixie... Nothing special in the pics but it is a very fine survival weapon.... A light portable 30 cal that shoots well, is incredibly reliable, has a 20rd mag for defense, and is a damn fine hunting carbine! When I looked at all the weapons I could get to fill the SHTF situation (and I can afford anything) the Mini-30 won out for me as a do everything weapon in a very common round that could be found after TSHTF....
And to answer your question, yes they shoot surplus OK... But thats it, only OK. The Mini-30 really likes brass cased, boxer primed ammo and not the steel cased stuff. It will shoot it and many have given good reports on that but many have not. You can find the brass cased stuff for pretty cheap though. Cabelas has MFS brass cased, boxer primed, FMJ 7.62x39 rounds for $6.99 a box of 20...

Attachments

·
Proud Conservative
494 Posts
I have owned several 30's, none of them would shoot under 3 inch groups, with the first shot a "flyer" to who knows where. And I CAN shoot, they arent known for accuracy. Wonderful carbine, reliable, fun, just not a great grouper in my experience.

·
I stand alone!
3,216 Posts
I have owned several 30's, none of them would shoot under 3 inch groups, with the first shot a "flyer" to who knows where. And I CAN shoot, they arent known for accuracy. Wonderful carbine, reliable, fun, just not a great grouper in my experience.
Swipe the older ones with the pencil barrel were known for this but the new heavy barrel Mini-30s are much more accurate!

·
Proud Conservative
494 Posts
Can't argue with you on that, I have not shot anything new, mine are all 20ish in years. May have to try a new one, why not?

·
Guy Who Does That Thing
593 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yeah my phone will not send the damn pics to my emal so i can save them to the computer. Anyways, the gun works fine and mine was manufactured in 1995 so go figure

·
I stand alone!
3,216 Posts
im not much of a ruger fan (for politcal reasons) but good shootin.
You do of course raise a great point casca! I wasn't either for a long time but now that BRS has kicked the bucket and the comapany has done a 180 by offering high capacity mags, a gas piston'd AR, and new self defense pistol designs I think that Ruger is trying to win back the loyalty of the American shooting public. I have taken them on good faith and they are now in my good graces :D:

·
Registered
41 Posts
its true ruger has been trying to turn over a new leaf with all the new products they have been putting out. Being in AZ just an hour away from the ruger plant, I just cant seem to let go =(

·
I stand alone!
3,216 Posts
Ah casca! I'm from AZ! I grew up in Tucson and lived in Scottsdale for 15 years. I went to Prescott all the time. Where are you from?
As hard as it is I would say give Ruger another chance. If they turn their back again their done in the shooting community and they know it! But I really think the new ownership believes in the 2nd amendment and in the American people :thumb:

·
Registered
2,306 Posts
its true ruger has been trying to turn over a new leaf with all the new products they have been putting out. Being in AZ just an hour away from the ruger plant, I just cant seem to let go =(
So you're going to let a guy who was suffering from Alzheimer's decide for you? I remember when no less than Douglas MacArthur came out against the War in Viet Nam. That war was fought for no different reasons than the Korean War. In Viet Nam we lost some 58,000 young men and women in about 16 years in-country (1959 to 1975, although we were only there "officially" from '63' to '73'), In Korea we lost 54,000 men in 2 1/2 years, In World War 2 we lost 50,000 + in one campaign. Where were his objections then? People sometimes think a little different when they get older.

·
+Adcock
3,102 Posts
Whenever a gun company itself goes along with anything on the anti-gun agenda they should be ignored by us completely.

If they go out of business that would be a good thing.

No legislature will ever be able to get rid of guns completely in 1 move. They can, through the complicity of the companies, slowly make guns into something different over time.

Do you think that the Taurus lock out feature is something they would have developed and put onto their guns on their own? If you do, you are a fool.

Currently there is still a push to have the case stamping added to all pistols sold in CA. It is a silly idea which has already been proven to be a bad concept. It is still being pushed since, if it passes, gun manufactuers have stated that thy won't go along with it.

Which means all current stock of guns could be listed as "something else". Like "not complying with the law".

This is CA's way of finding a way to limit/reduce/get rid of firearms without getting the people to vote for it.

"Not our fault, blame the manufactuers."

We have enough attacks on our rights every single day. Whenever the last bastions from the gun companies comply in any way with the Gov rather than telling them to go pound it - we all lose.

Generally it is some tax break, some money, some benefit for the people that run the companies.

Not because the Gov has such a compelling argument that companies are willing to lose their customer base over it.

So when they cave in, stop buying from them. It is the tax money you provide being used against you. Unless you use your net income to speak for you as well, we will all lose.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I live in North Phoenix, but have lived all over arizona really from mesa to avondale then downtown. I move alot =). I believe ol Doug MacAurthur was ****ed because he wanted to lead men in vietnam even though he was like 80.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts