Survivalist Forum banner

Mini 14

14217 173
Doing the Mini 14 thing now. Picked up a 186 and a 181 . load me up with info . Been a GB fan boy These are my first ones .
1 - 20 of 174 Posts

· Registered
13,515 Posts
Doing the Mini 14 thing now. Picked up a 186 and a 181 . load me up with info . Been a GB fan boy These are my first ones .
Stand by for the AR-Mini haters:thumb: I have a 582 series and love it also have a couple of M-4 Carbine builds and a 24" HB AR-15 build, Love them too. I am always on the look out for used Mini-14's now. Barrel stabilizer any of the major 3 MO-ROD, ACCU STRUT OR TRU-SHOT WILL WORK IMHO. 1911 BUFFERS. Do you know what the twists are on yours my weapons manuals are locked up and I am being lazy today, your rifles twist will help determine what grain bullet might work best. 77 grn open tip match followed by 64 grn federal Hog specials seems to shoot the best in mine, which has a 1-9 twist. Did they come with the original wood stock? or did previous owner put after market stock on? IMHO I would not shoot Russian steel cased ammo out of them. Ask away and stand by for the HATE:upsidedown:

· Registered
1,160 Posts
Stand by for the AR-Mini haters:thumb: I have a 582 series and love it also have a couple of M-4 Carbine builds and a 24" HB AR-15 build, Love them too. I am always on the look out for used Mini-14's now. Barrel stabilizer any of the major 3 MO-ROD, ACCU STRUT OR TRU-SHOT WILL WORK IMHO. 1911 BUFFERS. Do you know what the twists are on yours my weapons manuals are locked up and I am being lazy today, your rifles twist will help determine what grain bullet might work best. 77 grn open tip match followed by 64 grn federal Hog specials seems to shoot the best in mine, which has a 1-9 twist. Did they come with the original wood stock? or did previous owner put after market stock on? IMHO I would not shoot Russian steel cased ammo out of them. Ask away and stand by for the HATE:upsidedown:
I have a pair, one I bought at Sears and Ranch Rifle. They are good little rifles, but over priced anymore. I also have a couple of ARs, they cost less and are more versatile

· Vigilant Curmudgeon
Pistolburgh, Taxylvania
1,005 Posts
I put an accustrut 5" LT on mine. Big difference in group size when squeezing off 10 quick shots.
187 series Ranch Rifle , 1985 vintage, shot good from the get go. I thought that pencil barrel could use some help. I was right. & Flash hider muzzle tamer pinned on.
At my advancing age , I really appreciate a newer 2-6x power scope on it.
Light mods. With a little extra weight , it really tames it down for double taps.

· Registered
13,515 Posts
You rang?

Dead horse not gonna be beating it much.

When you have to spend as much $ as the rifle cost to make it half as reliable and half as accurate as a AR why not just go ahead and get a AR.
For the same reason some drive a Chevy, Ford, Dodge, Toyota, or Nissan 4x4 because they can:thumb: Glad you guys are still around:D:

· MAGA
6,268 Posts
For the same reason some drive a Chevy, Ford, Dodge, Toyota, or Nissan 4x4 because they can:thumb: Glad you guys are still around:D:
I'm sure Dusty will be along momentarily and set me straight. He probably used his at some point in the last week to do something truly monumental. Killt a hundred opossums with one shot, bank shot off a 62 Ford bumper to get a angle on a yote or dropped a rattler at 500 yards.

· Registered
13,515 Posts
I'm sure Dusty will be along momentarily and set me straight. He probably used his at some point in the last week to do something truly monumental. Killt a hundred opossums with one shot, bank shot off a 62 Ford bumper to get a angle on a yote or dropped a rattler at 500 yards.
Well I aint that good but I did kill a coyote yesterday at about 150. ONE SHOT ONE KILL:thumb: S/FI:D:

· Jackpine Savage
8,474 Posts
I've shot a couple Minis and liked them and would like to pick one up except for 2 things.

1) I think they are a great $500 rifle but they are not an $850 rifle.

2) Every time one comes up used they either want a new price for it or have $200-300 worth of junk on it and they are trying to recover every penny spent.

· Registered
86 Posts
Ruger mags

They’re a little pricey, but they have worked unfailingly in my Mini and Ranch rifle. And the 20 rounders let me get a little closer to the ground. Hank.
And I agree with “ pot II “. They’re a fine $500 rifle, but I wouldn’t pay $850 for a used one . Can’t speak about the new ones, mine are ‘80’s vintage. Not tack drivers, but good weapons for the folks watching my flanks, who may be semi trained. Low recoil, light weight for women, teens, etc. Hank

1 - 20 of 174 Posts