Survivalist Forum banner

81 - 100 of 103 Posts

·
Banned
9,794 Posts
I sold my Bushmaster and bought 2 more AK's.

I won't part with the Mini's I have.

Reliability.

Pro Mag seems to have gotten it right finally. I have fifteen twenty rounders, and they all have worked flawlessly.

·
Proverbs 26:4
2,112 Posts
I sold my Bushmaster and bought 2 more AK's.

I won't part with the Mini's I have.

Reliability.

Pro Mag seems to have gotten it right finally. I have fifteen twenty rounders, and they all have worked flawlessly.
Agree on the ProMags. I have some of the steel 20's also and I have had no problems at all.

·
Limpin to safety.
7,639 Posts
I own... everything. And I love them all.

Is a hammer better then a screw drivers? Of course! Unless you need to unscrew something.

My wife LOVES my Ranch Rifle mini 14. She can hit golf balls at over 200 yards. She can. I can Carve Ice into, bullet ridden ice, that I claim as art.

With an ar15 I can kill you at 200 yards...

With my ak I can kill you at 200 yards... Despite what many with inferior ak-47 owners might say.

For me, I own them all, and I love them all. I have NOT been disappointed by either the ar15 OR the mini 14. I love good fire arms. Reliable fire arms. Rifles that can feed/cycle crap ammo, and decent ammo.

However I am more of a .308 fan or higher. AR-10 is my next big purchase.

For the Vrs, I would have to go with, "it depends on the user".

I say its a tie.

Reactions: WileyCoyote

·
Registered
2 Posts
Tactical mini 14

First of all what is wrong with you people. Sure the AR-15 is truly an awesome gun, but the mini 14 has come along way. The two guns shoot the same caliber both have been proven In the heat of battle. One thing the AR 15 has the mini 14 don't is accessories that's all. The mini 14 gets my vote on reliability accuracy and financially affordable. I wouldn't give my mini 14 or 30 for a AR-15. But will trade both for the new Springfield m1A any day.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Why not an AK that shoots 5.56?
But I digress....

I was in this dilemma a few months ago myself. Long story short, I didn't get the mini-14. The AR, you can get close to the reliability of the mini. Parts are more interchangeable and more accurate over all. Magazines are more expensive then ar mags. I can go on.

I ended up with a saiga iz240 (ak-74) and converted it. Ammo is cheaper, more reliable than mini or ar, easy field strip and accurate.

·
Banned
6,705 Posts
I own multiples of both. The AR is superior, but I enjoy my Mini 14s and 30. If I had to choose one it would be the AR....

·
Dork Sided
8,119 Posts
The Mini is a decent, reliable rifle, but suffers from mediocre accuracy
i have a mini with an accuracy systems target barrel. With the right hand load it'll out shoot my ar. Saying there aren't after market parts simply isnt true. Besides, a gun is really just a launcher if you think about it. It not only depends on what you're running through it, but who is doing the shooting as well. Yes, there are all manner of gadgets you can slap on the ar-15 so that it will snag on everything when you need it most. They're great guns, dont get me wrong... But the 'very best money can buy' gun snob attitude isnt fair. Less is more alot of times..

·
Not To Reason Why...
1,966 Posts
I own both as well. Why are people slamming the mini's..."they are crap" " I will never ever get one" "I'll take mine in the end of the world" blah blah blah.

Don't knock it till you try it, and I mean really try it. Not pop 5 rounds out of both and pick the AR for looks. I have a 78 production mini. Works flawlessly has had thousands upon thousands of rounds shot through it. The barrel isn't worn, and is not chrome lined! "OMG ITS NOT CHROME LINED!" That boils down to how you take care of your weapons.

The mini I have shoots a little bit more innacurate than my bushy 20" AR 1-9. I'd gladly take either. Honestly though for dependability and the ability to not clean it for a while I would take the mini over the AR anyday. The AR gets 1" groups 100 yards. The mini 3" groups at 100 yards.......can I still put something down with both at 100 yards? YES.

The AR fanboys are just upset cause something that will out last their AR that shoots a little more innacurate but otherwise does the same thing, but costs half or less than half of their AR price tag so they're upset.

·
Life, Liberty,& Happiness
1,000 Posts
In my most humble of opinions, the mini 14 is like the AR-15 for dummies version.

While it has some potential as a jack of all trades rifle, and will go bang, it is definitely not an AR-15 but could serve as a really good back-up to one being that is uses the same ammo. Problem is it requires different mags.
I hear the KelTec SU-16 will use M16 mags, it does shoot the same rounds, collapses for smaller size when packing, and runs about $200-$250 less than an Mini14. Perhaps that's more in line as a backup to an AR-15.

All in all you can't really go wrong with any of them, as they all go bang, the aftermarket mods is surely where the AR-15 will surpass the others though.

·
Registered
396 Posts
What if I own a Mini, an AR and an AK47, and I like all three?

Welcome to the FireArms Infectious Disease Ward , where we're all deeply conflicted. The only known treatment is.................another rifle ( and more mags).

Yes there is an " App for that" , puts GunBroker on your phone.

·
Registered
9,542 Posts
IT LIVES!

·
Registered
9,542 Posts
All three have their advantages...
The Mini is a rock solid durable rifle that lends itself well to a variety of pursuits.
The AR is a highly modifiable platform and caliber swaps are as easy as pie.
The AK is a tank it'll eat any 7.62x39 ammo you feed it and keep chugging right along.
There is something to like about each of them, it's not a one size fits all world so why approach firearms from that perspective....

81 - 100 of 103 Posts