Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 128 Posts

·
that's like, your opinion
17,825 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
unite and tell us about your bittersweet relationship with this fickle b***h of a shooter.

I've had a mini 14 since about 2004 (197 series i think) when i was at OBC at ft sill. i have got to tell with shame on my concience that i have spent more money on this thing that it ever might be worth. here is a list of random crap i have bought to throw into this thing:

good buys:
- wolff power recoil spring
- choate muzzle flash hider (one you have to actually drill)
- accustrut lt
- houge stock
- ultimak rail
- factory magazines

money i completely wasted:
- tapco 6 position stock
- choate pistol grip syntheic stock
- a multitude of crappy scopes and side mounting options
- a multitude of crappy magazines

at some point we have all pulled out hair out because when using anyting over a 3x scope, point of aim rarely ever equals point of impact with this thing... yet we still love it and take care of it and feed it and support it on the boards...

so tell me how you all feel about it... at what point do you just give up and accept its limitations for what they are???

·
Old Soldier
5,072 Posts
Mine's just the way it came from the factory. And that's just fine with me.
At my disposal are a variety of rifles, ranging from Winchester 94, to M1 Carbine, to AK, to M1 Garand to M1A, and "some" more. But guess what's leaning against the wall at the head of the bed at this very moment in time? Nope, none of those, nor the SKS, nor either of the Mosins. Nope, not the Model 1903A3.
That's right! The Mini 14, with fully loaded factory 20 round magazine.
I love my Mini. But what would I know, since I'm just an amateur?:rolleyes:

·
Alert Today~Alive Tmrrw
2,991 Posts
My biggest gripe with the Mini-14 is magazine related. Why didn't Ruger engineer the M14 to be compatible with AR magazines! All of the aftermarket M14 mags i used were prone to jamming. The only mags i ever had success with were $35 Ruger factory 20rd stainless when loaded with M855 and M193. I believe Ruger made the M14 incompatibe with AR magazines as a profit-generating business move..

Personally, I'd like to see a Mini-14 with thicker 1:7 or 1:8 barrel, and be compatible with AR-15 mags. Then i'd get another one

·
17,825 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The Mini 14 magazines, like other aspects of the rifle, was copied from the M14.
not all were aspects were direct copies; mini-14 - long stroke piston.. M14 - short stroke piston

i think bill ruger was simplifying the machining process and cutting cost this way... i actually blame the bulk of the connecting rod for the inheirint inaccuracy of the mini, if they would have gone with a short stroke that was not permanently attached to the op rod i think it would get better groups

·
Alert Today~Alive Tmrrw
2,991 Posts
Ruger should have engineered the Mini-14 to be compatible with AR mags. If you hold them side-by-side, they're strikingly similar.

Sorry, not trying to derail the thread.. /Rant

·
17,825 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ruger should have engineered the Mini-14 to be compatible with AR mags. If you hold them side-by-side, they're strikingly similar.

Sorry, not trying to derail the thread.. /Rant
no worries... three people in one post is pretty easy to handle...

i dont think that mag body size/shape is a good indicator of likeness when it comes to function.

·
Old Soldier
5,072 Posts
not all were aspects were direct copies; mini-14 - long stroke piston.. M14 - short stroke piston

i think bill ruger was simplifying the machining process and cutting cost this way... i actually blame the bulk of the connecting rod for the inheirint inaccuracy of the mini, if they would have gone with a short stroke that was not permanently attached to the op rod i think it would get better groups
I miss spoke. I meant to say "some aspects". There are significant differences besides the gas system as well, sights for example.

·
Registered
770 Posts
I like my Mini. I wanted a reliable rifle that could hit man-sized targets at 100 yds and it fits the bill just fine. If I want to hit hamsters at 100yds, I have my M1A (which is more accurate than I am). BTW, why does everyone complain about paying $ 35 for a magazine for a rifle that you're running 100s of dollars worth of ammo through on a regular basis? I never could understand that.:confused:

Mike

·
Expect No Mercy!
443 Posts
This has been up and down the forums many times. I like the Mini for what it is. It is reliable in function. Form is workable out of the box. It will never be the Prom queen of your collection, so forget that. Ruger mags are a tad high, but if you want one that works that is the cost. You choose to bring her to the dance, so their are expenses.
All the trinkets you can add on are for you only. It is still a pig with lipstick. Kiss her and move on. :thumb:

·
Registered
216 Posts
Funny to see this thread at this time. I just got back from the range and one thing I shot today was my mini 14. I only put 40 rounds through it but all 40 were within an 6 inch pie plate at 100 yards. I was just messing around and shooting fairly quickley.
I love my mini for what I want to use it for.

·
Live Secret, Live Happy
16,404 Posts
My two Ruger mini's are both mini-30s.

The old one needed a glass bedding job and the correct sized bullets to shoot accurately. I've never had it jam with either Ruger magazines or with aftermarket mags. Perhaps this is due to the greater tapper of the 7.62x39 cartridge, or perhaps because I don't shoot cheap imported mil surplus ammo. I can typically get 2-2.5 moa out of it.

The new one shot well and function great right out of the box. I love buying a semiauto in stainless synthetic.

·
17,825 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
My two Ruger mini's are both mini-30s.

The old one needed a glass bedding job and the correct sized bullets to shoot accurately. I've never had it jam with either Ruger magazines or with aftermarket mags. Perhaps this is due to the greater tapper of the 7.62x39 cartridge, or perhaps because I don't shoot cheap imported mil surplus ammo. I can typically get 2-2.5 moa out of it.

The new one shot well and function great right out of the box. I love buying a semiauto in stainless synthetic.
i bought a bedding kit that has enough stuff for about two rifles... i was thinking of working on the mini, but i am not sure that i would see any improvement in my groups... i have put over probably 1500 rounds down her so she isnt exactly a spring chicken, but she aint an old hen either.

what were your groups like before the bedding?

·
17,825 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
This has been up and down the forums many times. I like the Mini for what it is. It is reliable in function. Form is workable out of the box. It will never be the Prom queen of your collection, so forget that. Ruger mags are a tad high, but if you want one that works that is the cost. You choose to bring her to the dance, so their are expenses.
All the trinkets you can add on are for you only. It is still a pig with lipstick. Kiss her and move on. :thumb:
yea im used to settling, but not on things i control the budget for ;)

the mini was my second rifle, my first was a 10/22 (of course), and my first pistol was a ruger p90... then a .357 ruger gp100... then a ruger mkIII 1911. they make up 5 of my 37 gun collection... i guess i had some brand loyalty in the beginning.

all in all it was the right rifle at the right time for the right price... i think i spent $450 at the time...

·
Live Secret, Live Happy
16,404 Posts
i bought a bedding kit that has enough stuff for about two rifles... i was thinking of working on the mini, but i am not sure that i would see any improvement in my groups... i have put over probably 1500 rounds down her so she isnt exactly a spring chicken, but she aint an old hen either.

what were your groups like before the bedding?
Right out off the box, my original mini-30 was shooting 5 inch groups.

I was reloading 308 dia bullets for some reason. Matching the bullet dia to the bore drop the group size to 2-2.5 inches. I now use Winchester-Olin .310 dia bullets.

Bedding the action let's me shoot 80 rounds in a few minutes (very hot barrel) without a shift in point of impact. I can even remove the action from the stock, and reinstall it, without shifting impact.

·
Why do you ask? 2 Dogs!
13,888 Posts
unite and tell us about your bittersweet relationship with this fickle b***h of a shooter.

I've had a mini 14 since about 2004 (197 series i think) when i was at OBC at ft sill. i have got to tell with shame on my concience that i have spent more money on this thing that it ever might be worth. here is a list of random crap i have bought to throw into this thing:

good buys:
- wolff power recoil spring
- choate muzzle flash hider (one you have to actually drill)
- accustrut lt
- houge stock
- ultimak rail
- factory magazines

money i completely wasted:
- tapco 6 position stock
- choate pistol grip syntheic stock
- a multitude of crappy scopes and side mounting options
- a multitude of crappy magazines

at some point we have all pulled out hair out because when using anyting over a 3x scope, point of aim rarely ever equals point of impact with this thing... yet we still love it and take care of it and feed it and support it on the boards...

so tell me how you all feel about it... at what point do you just give up and accept its limitations for what they are???
Advice from an Old Fart:

Either the dog hunts or it don't. If it don't-get rid of it!

Not all dogs are created equal. Some hunt better than others.

Some dogs are better at going and gettin' and some are better at sniffin' and some will just bite the hell out of ya!

You gotta figure out what dog is good for before deciding to spend alot of money, time and trouble on the wrong dog

If you're gonna compare your dog to your buddies dog, at least get the same kind of dog!

Buying all sorts of dog stuff for your dog won't make him hunt any better

·
17,825 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Advice from an Old Fart:

Either the dog hunts or it don't. If it don't-get rid of it!

Not all dogs are created equal. Some hunt better than others.

Some dogs are better at going and gettin' and some are better at sniffin' and some will just bite the hell out of ya!

You gotta figure out what dog is good for before deciding to spend alot of money, time and trouble on the wrong dog

If you're gonna compare your dog to your buddies dog, at least get the same kind of dog!

Buying all sorts of dog stuff for your dog won't make him hunt any better
I hear ya, thanks for the input. :thumb:

I pretty much consider this to be my "project" gun, more of a hobby type than a bring to war shooter, but i am sure she will always go bang. That being said i definitely saw improvements when i put the accu-strut on her... but in general you are right, i can dress it up however i want, but in the end, its still gonna be a mini.

·
Why do you ask? 2 Dogs!
13,888 Posts
I hear ya, thanks for the input. :thumb:

I pretty much consider this to be my "project" gun, more of a hobby type than a bring to war shooter, but i am sure she will always go bang. That being said i definitely saw improvements when i put the accu-strut on her... but in general you are right, i can dress it up however i want, but in the end, its still gonna be a mini.
I've got a 182 model I bought new way back in the early 80's. I've had many, many guns in my years. Still having this one should say something.

But mini's aren't for everyone. Same as huntin dogs....LOL

·
I Sleep with my Boots ON!
1,302 Posts
I Love My mini14 and have liked shooting them since back in the early 80's. Mine is a 5800 series, about 7 months old and I had it out a few times the past couple weeks and love it. Accuracy isn't an issue, my targets at 100 yards with irons are very good and grouping is nice and tight. I love the smoothness of the Garand action and the fireball she throws out is nice too!!

·
Registered
9,791 Posts
The AR/AK fanboys dog the mini14 out. Inaccurate, unreilable, ineffictive caliber. I happen to like the mini 14. The magazines from Ruger are a bit more expensive when compared to the AR magazines. Yet the factory magazines do work and will last. Not saying the AR/AK magazines won't last...they do. I just don't think having to spend the extra 15 bucks for a magazine is much of a deciding factor. Seems to me if the rifle is a fit for you, the cost of the magazine is a moot issue.

1 - 20 of 128 Posts