Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 231 Posts

·
Veritas Aequitas
1,956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm sure some of you may have experienced the pencil thin barrels and crappy sights that came with the old Minis. If that is still your impression of these guns it is time to take another look!

I don't think there has been enough emphasis here on SB about the newer Minis and the improvements that have been made to them these last couple years. If you are on a budget and looking for a super rugged, reliable gun that has excellent TACTICAL and PRACTICAL accuracy these new Minis might just fit the bill for you.

In the first video below the Mini holds its own (and even excels) against AR and AK style guns in a tactical style run and gun. After a long run and a lot of shooting, the Mini holds zero like a champ and goes 5/5 at 175 yards! In the second video the newly redesigned heavy barrel (hammer forged), high cap mags, flash hiders, sights, and stocks are all discussed.

I have two of these new Minis with the picatinny rails, folding stocks, and all the goodies. They have been fantastic. The Mini 14 is still not (and was never designed to be) a bench gun, but it is a great gun for the money! The Mini has definitely re-established itself as a viable contender for a serious SHTF gun.

Sorry, I know Nutnfancy is long winded, but he brings up some great points here.

·
Veritas Aequitas
1,956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
All Mini 14's have a NATO 5.56 chamber with the notable exception of the target model which is limited to .223. The Mini 30 is chambered for 7.62X39 and the Mini 6.8 SPC should be obvious...

By the way, "plastic fantastic" is definitely a bit of a misnomer since these still come standard in a wood stock. Several "polymer" stocks are available, however. :thumb:

·
Proverbs 26:4
2,112 Posts
I have been saying this on here and a couple other boards for a while. The new Minis are great riffles and are an excellent choice for a survival riffle.

I have a 581 series with the ATI folding stock and a Vortex Strikefire red dot. I absolutely love this riffle. It's light weight and plenty enough accurate for ANYTHING I will ever need it for.
It is also a good riffle for my kids and wife to handle as well.
Extremely reliable and an excellent value at $600 - $700.
In fact I plan on getting another.

·
Veritas Aequitas
1,956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have to agree, paper plate accuracy at 100 yds is fine for me.

Mike
Totally agree, however I have started to "modify" one of my Mini's. Cost so far = $1.98 for two 1911 buffers. I also adjusted and re-torqued the gas block screws to exactly 30in-lbs. It was a pain because they stake the screws in place at the factory. That mini is now shooting a solid 2" group without much effort on my part.

The other (stock) Mini is shooting around 3" groups at 100 yards. Still good enough to put lead on target, but I'm going to make the same changes to it and expect similar results.

If I was a reloader I'd mess around with different loads to get these under 2" groups. It does seem that my Minis like 62gr bullets best. Last time I was at the range the guy next to me was shooting 1.5" groups with some loads he had whipped up...he was a happy camper and no problems with his new stainless Mini.

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
The Mini-14/30 rifles have never been popular with the Police and Military for obvious reasons.

They use insanely expensive magazines, and do not use interchangeable parts.

They can be picky with their ammo, and due to the barrel/stock length are not the best for urban/CQB combat.

If you want ultimate reliability you can get a very good US made AK-Clone for about the same price, or if you want ultimate accuracy you can get an AR-15 for not to much more.

The Mini is a compromise weapon, and will never be anything other than that.

r m

·
Looks like rain to me.
41,430 Posts
I have an older Mini-14 and it shoots just fine. Goes bang and I can hit a pie plate at 100 yards no problem.

I like Nutnfancy's reviews, although they are a bit long and everything is awesome.

Aftermarket mags are iffy. At the 2010 SHOT Show Tapco said thay had a polymer mag that was supposed to be reliable, $14 MSRP. I'm waiting on a review.

·
Veritas Aequitas
1,956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The Mini-14/30 rifles have never been popular with the Police and Military for obvious reasons.

They use insanely expensive magazines, and do not use interchangeable parts.

They can be picky with their ammo, and due to the barrel/stock length are not the best for urban/CQB combat.

If you want ultimate reliability you can get a very good US made AK-Clone for about the same price, or if you want ultimate accuracy you can get an AR-15 for not to much more.

The Mini is a compromise weapon, and will never be anything other than that.

r m
WTH are you talking about with the stock and barrel lengths? They come with 16" barrels and collapsable stocks now...you REALLY haven't picked up a Mini in a while have you?

You missed the point of the thread, but you are a "proud troll" afterall. We aren't talking about the old Minis here so keep your outdated opinions to yourself. Time for you to get RE-educated on this fine weapon! And frankly, the Mini has had plenty of law enforcement support. Most notably - the NYPD. They have NEVER been picky with ammo - they eat anything! No idea where you got that. 30rd mags can be had for $12 (aftermarket) up to $30 (factory).

Watch the videos, comment on the newest Mini innovations or check out of this thread. Thanks!

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
I personally know some of Ruger's Engineers, so think again.

I also know people that build the Minis and they have absolutely no faith in them.

I also am a long range marksmanship instructor, and based upon that alone would never recommend the Mini for anything but a movie prop.

You notice the A-Team never even aimed their Minis...It wouldn't have done any good if they had....:D:

The Mini has no combat experience, and it was never designed to hold up under the stresses that a military arm needs to stand up to.

The Aftermarket mags area as reliable as a Hi-Point carbine, and the Ruger Factory mags are $30-$30 a piece which means that buying enough mags would run a bill of $240-$320.

·
Super Duper Moderator. I'm helping!
9,780 Posts
CDNN has factory mags for like 25.00 for 20 rounders and 29.00 for 30 rounders. Thats not all that expensive. I have a dozen or so thermolds for my Mini-14GB and they work fine. Traded some GI AR mags straight across. Perfectunion.com has a lot of info available for the old and new Minis. Would like to handle a new one. Look nice. I still like mine.

·
... --- ...
14,874 Posts

I also know people that build the Minis and they have absolutely no faith in them.

I also am a long range marksmanship instructor, and based upon that alone would never recommend the Mini for anything but a movie prop.

You notice the A-Team never even aimed their Minis...It wouldn't have done any good if they had....:D:

The Mini has no combat experience, and it was never designed to hold up under the stresses that a military arm needs to stand up to.

The Aftermarket mags area as reliable as a Hi-Point carbine, and the Ruger Factory mags are $30-$30 a piece which means that buying enough mags would run a bill of $240-$320.

Well, that's juuust great.:rolleyes: I've nearly talked myself into a Mini-14, and now you have me doubting again. I was also thinking about a stock Saiga .223, but their mags are also outrageous, and they're just plastic.
I still have a bunch of Lake City 5.56 after ditching my AR's in favor of cash and AK's, and I'll feel like a real nimrod if it turns out my best option is to go buy another AR :D:.

·
Veritas Aequitas
1,956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

You make me laugh. You already discredited yourself by claiming the stocks and barrels were too long for QCB. My mini is a folder AND 6 position collapsable so it is more compact than any AR could dream of being. You have obviously been out of the loop for a long time. I definitely wouldn't attend any of your classes if you are that out of touch and a brand snob to boot....and I'm sure your students just LOVE your attitude. Besides, something just smells like BS when I read your posts. :rolleyes:

BTW, they don't aim their ARs in the move HEAT either so I guess those suck too. LOL

·
Registered
235 Posts
Personally I think Rifleman is full of it. I would buy that many and never think twice. My department (large State Agency) used Mini-14s right up to 2001. The only reason we switched to the AR was some genius at the armory thought they were a better rifle. They have just as many if not more problems than the Mini. I bought mine and still carry it and leave the AR at home. Why? I guess its beinjg used to what you first trained with. BTW have had zero malfunctions and have the same rifle issued to me in 1990. I couldnt begin to count the number of rounds Ive put through it.

·
Veritas Aequitas
1,956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Glockrocks, thanks for sharing! I could post up countless pictures, forum threads, and reviews by law enforcement officers that all say the same thing as you. The Mini 14 is has been issued and accepted by LE agencies the world over. Especially when you consider the select fire version, AC 556.

Rifle Man and other Mini haters typically don't have any experience behind the trigger...especially with the newer ones. They just parrot the same old gunshop drivel they've heard in the past.

Cop with Stainless Mini 14 Folder
http://img410.imageshack.us/img410/8228/cops.jpg

South American SWAT & Military Use:
http://i972.photobucket.com/albums/ae203/ingveroren/pc-operacao-na-mangueira.jpg

http://i972.photobucket.com/albums/ae203/ingveroren/pc-maranhao-grt.jpg

http://i972.photobucket.com/albums/ae203/ingveroren/pc-es-1.jpg

NYPD with Minis:
http://assets.nydailynews.com/img/2009/02/15/gal_terror_training_12.jpg

These cops rate it 4+ out of 5 stars:
http://policelink.monster.com/products/products/669-ruger-mini-14

These officers seem to like it:
http://forums.officer.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-9759.html

·
Registered
162 Posts
Being a long time fan of the Mini 14, I have to jump in here as well. I have owned my Mini 14 longer than any other gun I own and for good reason. Reliability has been stellar, even with crap ammo and cheap mags. Will it out shoot my ar, no. However, I would trust it any day with my life, far more than my ar. Reliability is on par with all my ak's. Of the many thousands of rounds ran through it, it has hiccuped twice. Once bump firing wolf ammo (failed to pick up a round) and once with some dangerously hot Ultramax ( in this case, the ejector ripped the brass in two). I would like to see an ar extractor do that. These guns will outperform an ar in every aspect except accuracy, and that is up to the shooter to decide what is acceptable. If you need to tack drive, grab your bolt gun. If you want to rock and roll .223, the Mini 14 is the trick.

1 - 20 of 231 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.