Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Happy to be here!
4,947 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's a first impressions review of my Milwaukee M18 Fuel Chainsaw. Having owned several gas chain saws over the years, and using them infrequently, they always gave me trouble. So when it came time to purchase a new saw I decided to try something different. As a quasi-survivalist I also appealed to me that I can charge the saw off a solar panel so the only expendable item is the bar oil. Bar oil doesn't go stale and two gallons of it would last me for years. The saw is also stupid quiet. I ran it the other morning in the back yard and my wife couldn't hear it inside the house. The battery life is good. One charge cuts enough wood to fill my truck bed. The down sides include having less power and run time than a gas saw and it's only a 16 inch bar. Over all I recommend it and am very happy with the purchase.

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
That look pretty good , but I just run 75 90 cc saws I don’t think I have the patients to run a electric saw even though I have battery’s and chargers all ready .
I really don’t like cutting wood as much as I like splitting , I must be getting old .

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
I just bought the Milwaukee kit with the weed eater, hedge trimmer, pole saw and edger. This one comes with the 8.0 amp battery, good stuff, the included battery give enough power to do everything my yard needs on one charge.
All of my power tools including my table saw and miter saw is battery powered Milwaukee, with any of the brands out there once you get the batteries and have enough batteries buying the tools is the easy part.

·
Registered
2,890 Posts
If you use a saw for the occasional branch that falls or small tree that needs to come down electric is the only way. No gas to go bad and always starts.

I burn wood for heat so still wont bother with electric.

·
Happy to be here!
4,947 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If you use a saw for the occasional branch that falls or small tree that needs to come down electric is the only way. No gas to go bad and always starts.

I burn wood for heat so still wont bother with electric.
Having just moved to Tennessee and having a wood burning fireplaces in my home, I'll just supplement my heat with the wood. I hear the winters are pretty mild here so I could probably get away with this saw to heat my home full time if I had a quality wood burning stove. I agree with you that if ones only goal is efficently producing a high volume of cut wood, the gas saw wins. I like that the battery saw addresses "survivaly" issues such as not needing gasoline, low noise, low maintenance, ECT, but still produces a respectable amount of cut wood per charge. By the time that battery charge ran out I was ready to take a break. I imagine 2 12ah batteries and a charger could work one man all day long.

·
Registered
923 Posts
If you buy enough batteries the saw will do just fine unless you need a bigger saw. Power is decent. And a 12 amp battery lasts a good while. Wait for a mx powered saw. I have a feeling they will be coming out with one.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Quiet, and no gas required are going to be the most important features in the future, if things go badly.
Anyone who cannot figure out why this is true, just hasn't thought about it long enough.

·
Registered
290 Posts
I just bought the Milwaukee kit with the weed eater, hedge trimmer, pole saw and edger.
I have that same kit. When we needed to replace our weed eater I wanted electric for ease of use. My husband already had 3 Milwaukee M18 Fuel batteries so it was a no-brainer to stick with Milwaukee. I love how quiet it is. I like having the pole saw because our manual pole saw is hard for me to use.

Good to know that the chain saw is a solid performer too.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts