Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
BulletMaster
1,387 Posts
Several major companies like Black Hill and Georgia Arms sell ammo made form government surplus brass. I convert 7.62 x 51 NATO to 300 Sav. for my lever gun. One of my local shops sell surplus 5.56 and X51 brass,I get the X51 for about $8 per 100 and can convert it over in about two hours. Not much work for the cost effectiveness.

·
Here's my safety Sir
14,677 Posts
Several major companies like Black Hill and Georgia Arms sell ammo made form government surplus brass. I convert 7.62 x 51 NATO to 300 Sav. for my lever gun. One of my local shops sell surplus 5.56 and X51 brass,I get the X51 for about $8 per 100 and can convert it over in about two hours. Not much work for the cost effectiveness.
Interesting I have a 300 Savage also and lots of 308 brass.

·
BulletMaster
1,387 Posts
Interesting I have a 300 Savage also and lots of 308 brass.
The 300 Sav. was designed in the 1920's and was used as the parent case to develop the 308 civilian/7.62 X 51 NATO in the 1950's so the conversion back to 300 Sav. is an easy one. Simply lube the case well and run the 308 case in your instance into the FL 300 Sav. die,this will reform the shoulder and the excess brass will form a longer neck,which can either be trimmed back to spec. with a Lyman lathe style trimmer or Lee case length gage and cordless drill.

·
11B20 - Status Inactive
5,036 Posts
Yep with a 10,000 deposit. But remember that the DOD is now shredding most of this so it will dry up soon. Stack it deep.
NOT TRUE - stop spreading the lies of Mississippi arms or whomever that was - it was nothing but a bunch of crap - already been discussed here many times.

·
Registered
10,301 Posts
AFAIK
You can go online to milsurp auctions and bid on lots of brass to your hearts content. They auction off everything from brass to duce and a halfs. Some items require an EUC to be submitted, a process that usually takes 60 days but can take up to 90 days.

·
Registered
391 Posts
I buy from them all the time and yes some of the brass is demilled ie worth only the brass. It will tell you in the lot info if it is demilled or requires to be demilled.
From what i've been told it is the commander's option how it is sold. 6 months ago almost all required to be destroyed but the prices dropped and they changed the policy.

·
Immortal
1,411 Posts
Any of the online auction sites fro milsurp I have seen require that you go and pick it up from the base. That's fine if you happen to live within a few hundred miles of a base, but I don't. So I just get my brass for free at the range a few dozen at a time week after week.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.