Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What do you recommend for milk? Which brands do you like and where are you purchasing it? I have never tried dried milk---how bad is it? How much do you store and what is the shelf life?

·
Buckeye Prepper
83 Posts
Provident Pantry Instant non-fat dried milk from Emergency Essentials is the best we have found. We are very picky with our milk and are very pleased with the taste of this. We hardly ever (location) purchase store milk anymore. I mix it in a mixing pitcher to aerate and refrigerate overnight for optimum taste.

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
I'll put another vote in for E.E. milk. I mixed some up, chilled it overnight and took it over to my parents' house. Father dear is very fussy about his milk -- he thought it tasted fine and even a little "thick". I don't use alot of milk here each week so I'm using strictly dried, often mixing up just what I need. I've also use the Walmart brand and seems to be okay as well.

·
7,504 Posts
My DH is very picky about milk, but doesn't mind if I use powdered milk for cooking. I'm wanting to get some Nido for the grandcubs to try (they are lean, active, growing guys, and don't need low-fat anything.)

·
Registered
395 Posts
I'm gonna throw another wrench into the mix.

We've tested and LOVE Country Fresh from Augason Farms. They have "Everyday" cans that you can buy to use for testers. ;)

·
Banned
1,470 Posts
The best milk is from the LDS cannery. Still < $2/lb. Tastes better than any 2%, 1%, or skim. We like it much better than whole......but

We eat what we store and store what we eat.

We are going for another 50 lbs in about a week. Wish we could get 500 lbs.

·
Mod Certified PITA!
12,092 Posts
You can also get sweetened condensed milk. Three or four cans of water to one can of SCM will produce a sweet milk product.

Evaporated milk will do, too, at one can water to one can of EM, but mainly for cooking, the taste is not as good.

·
Registered
499 Posts
To the original poster - my experience is that although there are differences between brands, nothing matters more (from a taste perspective) than waiting overnight. If you taste it when you first make it and again the next morning, you won't believe it's the same product.

·
Super Moderator
12,298 Posts
For daily use and short term preps I use Parmalat UHT shelf stable boxed liquid whole milk.

I have a couple of small cans of Nido whole milk powder for longer term.

Plan to get some #10 cans of Healthy Harvest dry whole milk powder:
http://www.healthyharvest.com/milkwhole-dry.aspx

I just don't like skim, 1% or 2%. Grew up on whole milk and much prefer it.

·
Registered
989 Posts
Good info here. Over the past week I've been giving my wife different things to try and she's been shooting them down. It never occurred to me that you should mix up a batch and cool it in the chillbox overnight. That might just be the trick to solving my problem, thanks everyone.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Good info here. Over the past week I've been giving my wife different things to try and she's been shooting them down. It never occurred to me that you should mix up a batch and cool it in the chillbox overnight. That might just be the trick to solving my problem, thanks everyone.
Think about this: When the SHTF, we'll more than likely be w/o power. No power, no way to chill milk. So, with that in mind, we tested 4 or 5 different kinds of dried milk while it was room temp/warm/freshly made. We are of the mindset that milk will have to be reconstituted on an "as needed" basis. ;)

·
Registered
215 Posts
Hi bobber,
This review might be interesting for you. I found it a while back and have gone back to it a couple of times. I am still looking for a really good tasting milk. I know nutrition is important but if I can't drink it, what good is it? You can get sample packs of Country Cream milk on line. Its pretty good. Morning Moo and Carnation aren't too bad either.

http://foodstorageandsurvival.com/the-great-powdered-milk-taste-test-and-review/

If you find something really good please let us know.
Take care,
Moose

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
Good info. I need to prep some dry milk and nice to know how to spend my pennies.

Next tho, I do not like warm milk even straight from my cow/goats. And on that note, we are building a spring house. Has that been mentioned as a back up for no refrigeration?

Liebrecht

·
Registered
5,306 Posts
We store cases of Carnation condensed milk. There is a dairy about 400 yards from my house that I'm sure I can trade with if things get real bad. The owner eats at the local diner three meals per day so I'm pretty sure that he isn't prepared for anything.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Powdered milk is pretty good if it's real cold. They even have skim milk varieties.
I also store cans of evaporated and condensed milk.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Think about this: When the SHTF, we'll more than likely be w/o power. No power, no way to chill milk. So, with that in mind, we tested 4 or 5 different kinds of dried milk while it was room temp/warm/freshly made. We are of the mindset that milk will have to be reconstituted on an "as needed" basis. ;)
You can make a zeer pot to keep things cold with no power.

Also I started a few months ago buying the walmart brand of powdered mild in the packs. Ten packs per box. Each pack is supposed to make 32 ounces (a quart). I only make it into a 26 ounce bottle for myself. I've never tried drinking it straight. I really only use milk in hot tea and for cooking but I like it well for that.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts