Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒ&
8,248 Posts
Any army navy store will have them. Well worth the $$. While you are at it, go ahead and pony up for the poncho liner as well.

·
Registered
839 Posts
Any army navy store will have them. Well worth the $$. While you are at it, go ahead and pony up for the poncho liner as well.
I will second that. You can also search the internet, there are hundreds of Military Surplus stores online that sell them. I have owned one for years and love it, I need to get another liner now.

·
Super Moderator
12,059 Posts
Consider getting the Ranger Rick style liner. Zippable head slot so you can wear the poncho with the liner in and perimeter zipper to make a sleeping bag. Makes the GI poncho even more versital

·
Forum Administrator
16,781 Posts
The German ponchos are heavier duty then the US ponchos. At least the one I had was. I would use the German poncho as a ground cloth, and the US poncho has a shelter over my hammock or one man tent.

When I use my US poncho as a ground cloth, it gets holes poked in it by sticks and other stuff. The German poncho did not have any problems.

I recommend getting one of each - a heavy duty German Poncho (I think it was east german) and a standard US military poncho.

·
"Always Be Prepared"
250 Posts
Consider getting the Ranger Rick style liner. Zippable head slot so you can wear the poncho with the liner in and perimeter zipper to make a sleeping bag. Makes the GI poncho even more versital
Is this a conversion kit or can you buy one already setup?
Is there a site you know to buy this already setup?

·
Kibitzer
6,631 Posts
When I use my US poncho as a ground cloth, it gets holes poked in it by sticks and other stuff. The German poncho did not have any problems.
Sorry, Kev, but I always clear my footprint for rocks and sticks. But, I've still got my old rubber GI poncho too, much thicker than nylon. A little police work will let you sleep longer than waking up laying on pointed rock in middle of night.

Ranger Rick's site, click on the "poncho liner" tab on left:

http://www.therangerdigest.com/

·
Registered
439 Posts
The German ponchos are heavier duty then the US ponchos. At least the one I had was. I would use the German poncho as a ground cloth, and the US poncho has a shelter over my hammock or one man tent.

I recommend getting one of each - a heavy duty German Poncho (I think it was east german) and a standard US military poncho.
I just picked up a German army poncho myself. Fantastic value. Rugged as heck and very functional. Can't wait to try it out as a shelter.

·
dum dum
1,249 Posts
I just got one of these in the mail, and it's awesome!
http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/BJR014-1.html
I must agree with KevinR...picked up my poncho at the Cheaperthandirt brick and mortar store in Fort Worth...if anyone is in that area I HIGHLY RECOMMEND stopping by just to look around. I went there for a poncho ($19) and was there for over an hour.
I have a question about the poncho...there are a couple tabs on the inside, chest side, about 16" from the head hole...I THINK these are to attach to a pack, but I am not sure how these suckers work. Could one of our military people on here give me a little insight to their function?

·
Sweat more, bleed less!
3,153 Posts
I always used them as rigging lines for use asa shealter...idk if thats the correct use for them but thats what i do...

·
Registered
439 Posts
how much does the german weigh? i'm looking for one for my BOB so it needs to be fairly light.
I wish I knew. I've tried to find information on the weight online, but can't find it anywhere. It's heavier than a regular plastic/nylon poncho, but that's the price you pay for having an extremely rugged (rubber-coated) piece of gear. That being said, it's not overly heavy.

In Germany, they sell for about $10 US, and here in Finland I got mine for about about $13 US. Again, fantastic price for what you get.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts