Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know what scope is standard issue for military snipers? I ask because every time i see one on tv, its a $4000 schmitt & bender or the like. I just got to thinking, and surely thats not what every sniper gets, and if so they need to use them on whoever is responsible for purchasing!

·
Registered
506 Posts
Hi,

The snipers I've talked to, have used Leupold 10X scopes. I don't know what models, but maybe that's a hold over from early day's Unertl and Redfields. Some guys mention variables, and that, with mil-dot reticles, makes more sense... I'm sure that there must be different scopes for different rifle/calibers. Schmitt & Bender does seem to be with some units, but I don't think that they're that wide spread in use...

Are you wanting to get a scope that is "common" with our military snipers? With the way appropriations are going, you'd do as well, maybe better, with a scope like Bushnell's Elite 6500 mil-dot 3.5-30X50 scope... Superb glass, crystal clear throughout the 3.5-30X range, and 1/4 the cost of a Schmitt & Bender...

(Mine are on my CZ550 Varminters in 7.62X51, with GemTech HVTs, SAW slings, and Harris BRM bipods (6-9")).

OldArcher, out...

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No not wanting a "military" scope. I was just going to be ****ed if we were paying that much for every sniper scope. You can get a really nice Leupold for $1000, and that might be overdoing it.

I have, amongst others, a Burris Tactical and love it.

·
Adventurer
19,333 Posts
leaupold mark 4 10x fixed powerd scope

swfa supersniper scope

·
American fearmaker
14,249 Posts
In Viet Nam my XM-21 sniper rifle used a Redfield 3 by 9 variable scope with Automatic Range Tracking. I loved that scope and rifle. That's why I keep a .308 Remington rifle with a 3 by 9 variable scope around the house for those long range "social events" to this day. Eventually, I'll have another M-1A with a good Redfield mounted on it for those "just in case" situations...

·
Adventurer
19,333 Posts
No not wanting a "military" scope. I was just going to be ****ed if we were paying that much for every sniper scope. You can get a really nice Leupold for $1000, and that might be overdoing it.

I have, amongst others, a Burris Tactical and love it.
if you were a sniper or did serious long range shooting you would know that glass is worth the cost

for example my nightforce nsx 5.5-22 x56mm scope you can see the bullet fly down range wich is nice because i can self correct without the need of a spotter or spot for others

·
Super Moderator and Walking Methane Refinery
68,565 Posts
Hi,

The snipers I've talked to, have used Leupold 10X scopes.
The ones I've talked to use the same thing. That's something I remind my customers of too. They seem to think they need 90 power to take a 200 yard shot or something. I'm forever reminding them that those 800-1,000 yard shots the snipers are making are with 10x scopes for the most part.

·
Registered
5,163 Posts
Marine Corps is issuing the TA-31 ACOG on all M16A4's and the new 3-12x S&B on the M40A3's because Unertl has essentially folded. Intitial problems with cams, adjustments and ammo compatibility have been corrected and S&B makes awesome glass. DMR's and M39's are similarly equipped.

Army uses Aimpoints, EOTech and ACOG's but most are switching permanently to the ACOG in 4x, especially in the rockpile.

The Navy has a contract with Nightforce and uses 2.5-10's on their MK 12's and SCAR 17's.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts