Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
3,605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Our primary bol is on at a rural family members house. This location is less than a mile (as a crow flys) from what used to be a military camp. I think it's around 4,000 acres, mostly forested heavily(oldgrowth). I think the county is now in possesion of it. Although it is closed to the public due to possible unexploded ordinnence. Was thinking of using this area as one possible fall back locale if we need to leave our planned retreat. To my thinking it may be a little less overrun, than say local state or federal land. I've done what little scouting I can by google earth, but wonder about on the ground recon. Because of possible dangers my plan was to stick to animal trails, carry no weapons, and keep it real short. Maybe under a heavy rain so theres more sound cover.

Is this a bad idea? If I were caught what charges could I face? What should I be on the lookout for? Is there anything I'm not considering?

·
Registered
345 Posts
The biggest “charge” you face may very well go BOOM!

The first thing I would do is check the county Assessor's Office to see who really owns the land. In WA State all the records are on line and I am sure most other states are also. If the county or state owns the land it seems to me the worst you could get into would be misdemeanor trespassing (keep in mind I am not a lawyer). That assumes that you ‘leave no trace’ and just look around. A metal detector might be a fun thing to take along….

·
Registered
3,605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was planning on sticking to game trails, and keeping very low key. Figured I'd walk the fence a little bit looking for a opening. I cant imagine it being in good shape. This place has been closed for years. At least since clinton.

·
Registered
488 Posts
If it's not an active base your fine. Just pretend to be a naive backpacker. UXO would mainly be an issue if your driving and hit a shell you would have seen on foot. I'd never guess to find a land mine. Don't sue me when you lose a leg!
That place is probably full of kid's hangouts and squats. Watch out for paintballs.

·
Registered
3,605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I found some clean up maps and the area I'm looking at is not a danger, and is well away from any current or past activity. It looks like 1 more possible fallback locale. if it looks good on the ground, any thought on placing a cache?

·
trois pour cent
5,942 Posts
I found some clean up maps and the area I'm looking at is not a danger, and is well away from any current or past activity. It looks like 1 more possible fallback locale. if it looks good on the ground, any thought on placing a cache?
Any chance in a SHTF situation, the military could reactivate the base?

·
Registered
3,605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Any chance in a SHTF situation, the military could reactivate the base?
I really doubt it. the land has been tuned over to local county. All they used it for was rifle and arty range. And it apears they kept that contained to 1 area also. I really like how close it is to our retreat, and like the idea of multiple fallbacks in case any our comprimised.

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
See about getting sme history on the place. You might find that there are a few out of the way storage options there... maybe underground.

·
Information is Ammunition
22,122 Posts
any abandoned structures out there? how long as the area been abandoned?

·
Registered
3,605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
any abandoned structures out there? how long as the area been abandoned?
Looks like most of the old barraks and other buildings/parade grounds will be used by county. area i'm looking at is on other side of property as all the development. My side has no development on any of the maps ive seen. In fact it has been marked to be left alone for animal habitat. It has no roads and no people trails. Looks like a number of springs that start higher and outside of area that is to be cleaned, so you would think the water supply to be safe.

·
Information is Ammunition
22,122 Posts
chances are- there will be no resources dedicated towards keeping people out. I'd be a 'lost hiker' and recon the area. in an endgame type scenario, the wood, water, and game to be found there (not to mention scavengables in the structures) could be worthy of knowing about beforehand.

Know your environment. know your resources

·
Barbarian
519 Posts
go to city hall and find out if you can go there. Perhaps even ask if you can have it, prolly won't just hand over the deed to that part of the land, but who knows

·
Go to guy
661 Posts
I like the lost hiker thought. Another one is a lost dog that you just could not catch. Not that I have thought about or done anything like this before.

·
Opinionated old fart.
8,046 Posts
Does the old base have a shooting range? If so, can you scavenge the burm for lead? I would be seriously surprised if land mines were installed in onto military bases inside the US borders, but who knows. Either way, you never know what you might find there with a metal detector! Any way to lease the land for like one month??

·
Premium Member
190 Posts
UXO is not your friend. Especially if it's aged a bit.

I'd invest in a very, very good metal detector first.

Even then . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . the BOOM you don't hear is very possible.

·
Registered
861 Posts
I would carry a pistol there is no telling what you will run up on in there. Someone's dope patch, Meth Lab anything could be there. Be careful going in there.

·
Wide awake
1,963 Posts
1) I echo Wolfbrother's admonition. If you ever find UXO, leave it be, and leave the area the way you came in. The military uses a lot of sensitive fuse ordnance (DPICM, etc.) that is just waiting for the slightest motion to go off.

2) You won't find any live landmines emplaced inside the CONUS.

3) Don't go mine(metal) detecting. Any real ordnance range will be so loaded with shrapnal that you will just get one giant reading (I speak from experience here).

4) Usually, ranges and impact areas are clearly marked with orange signs with a bomb in the middle. Even deserted ranges should still be marked. But depending on how long ago the area has been abandoned, those areas may still be open and cratered, i.e., easy to identify.

5) I certainly wouldn't count the place out as an oh skit alternative.

"Civilize the mind, but make savage the body."

·
Registered
152 Posts
military land

all military lands have topo maps for each post and on each post the use whats called impact areas for H/E rounds these are the areas used for artillery and bomb runs by joint force use. Tanks use tank ranges< personel use small arms ranges, but as stated each post has an official map and each of these areas are clearly marked, so in short get a map.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts