Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, I'm about to finally enlist in the military (ANG). I'm currently debating between two jobs (both which I qualify for)... Operations Intelligence and Emergency Management. Does anyone have any insight on either job that they can share? I've ready many, many descriptions but they're all the same. I'm wondering what type of stuff you actually do on deployments for each job. Are they more field work or office work? etc.... Any help would be appreciated!

·
Registered
346 Posts
Our son is an all source intel analyst in the Army Reserves who just got back from a 12 month deployment to Iraq as an image analyst / equipment operator / aircrewman. During his deployment he spent most nights riding in the back end of a Kingair watching TV. When he finishing his deployment he had three job offers. The one he took pays about $18K a month but he will only work 90 days then have 90 days off which is good. The bad part is he will NOT be working in the US, he will be doing the same job he did in Iraq but it will be in such garden spots like the 'stan, Somalia, Iraq or South America. He plans to do that for three years to gain experience then work in the US doing Intel for a contractor or agency. Most of them want five years experience right now so unless you are willing to put the time in, intel might not be what you want.

By the way , a lot of intel guys end up being the security person for their units stateside and only get to practice their trade when on an exercise or deployment.

·
Registered
5,620 Posts
I'm ex-military and I think it's more important to look at what the job can do for you after separation from the military.

OPS INT...Government, or government-related work.

Emergency management...There're a LOT of places where that experience would come in damn handy.
Amen to that Brother! There were lots of contractor jobs for me when I retired when I first got in, but 21 years later, several right sizing draw downs, most of those jobs dried up and unless I want to be a terrorist there are very few jobs in the civilian world for me to do and someone just about has to die quiet literally for one of them to open up! Choose which ever one is going to give you the widest available marketable skill set in the civilian sector, that way you have options available when you get out whether its 4 years later or 20 plus. I know I sure wished I would have thought a little more about that before I got my NEC's!

·
Not To Reason Why...
1,966 Posts
I'm ex-military and I think it's more important to look at what the job can do for you after separation from the military.

OPS INT...Government, or government-related work.

Emergency management...There're a LOT of places where that experience would come in damn handy.
EXACTLY what he said, I was 19Kilo Tanker, there wasn't much out there for me except minimum wage fork lift at home depot. Luckily I got into another field. Remeber when the SHTF with booze, women, drugs while your in, an HONORABLE discharge goes a long way when you get out don't get 15'd.

·
Here's my safety Sir
14,678 Posts
All most every county and state has an office of Emergency Management.

·
Not To Reason Why...
1,966 Posts
All most every county and state has an office of Emergency Management.
And every city(usually over 25,000), every county, every hospital, and municipality, that's the way to go, good luck and Godspeed. BTW Emergency Management was the field I got into, that and security. It pays decent, depending on what agency will pick you up for it.

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
Working in Intel Ops you will typically be assigned to either a flying unit, providing intelligence support to the aircrew, senior staff and commanders or to an analyst position in an intelligence unit, providing intelligence analysis to higher headquarters, numbered commands, flying units, etc. If a squadron deploys somewhere a few intel folks will go also . That is about as close to the field you will get unless you are attached to an Army combat unit. Once you are in for a while and if you have a good reputation, and are in the right place at the right time there are occasional opportunities to get into special ops or work in the black.;)

If you go into Intel one of the most marketable things you can come away with is a security clearance. You will be debriefed/read out when you separate but having recently had a clearance, and recent background checks can be very helpful when looking for a good job in the civilian world...depending on what you want to do.

Having said all this, I was in the USAF. When I read your post I read ANG as Air National Guard. If you meant the Army National Guard, then disregard the first paragraph. Either way though, best of luck and enjoy your service.

·
Knowledge is Power
177 Posts
I agree 100%. As a prior combat arms soldier and Officer, all I got for my years of being "hard" were qualifications to be:
1. Mercenary
2. Police Officer
3. Security Guard

Choose a job that will allow you to be marketable in the civilian side when you separate. You don't want to have to start over getting a new skill set when you separate.

However, either of those choices seem fine, in my opinion.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I should have clarified better. It is the Air National Guard. And thanks for the tips!

Working in Intel Ops you will typically be assigned to either a flying unit, providing intelligence support to the aircrew, senior staff and commanders or to an analyst position in an intelligence unit, providing intelligence analysis to higher headquarters, numbered commands, flying units, etc. If a squadron deploys somewhere a few intel folks will go also . That is about as close to the field you will get unless you are attached to an Army combat unit. Once you are in for a while and if you have a good reputation, and are in the right place at the right time there are occasional opportunities to get into special ops or work in the black.;)

If you go into Intel one of the most marketable things you can come away with is a security clearance. You will be debriefed/read out when you separate but having recently had a clearance, and recent background checks can be very helpful when looking for a good job in the civilian world...depending on what you want to do.

Having said all this, I was in the USAF. When I read your post I read ANG as Air National Guard. If you meant the Army National Guard, then disregard the first paragraph. Either way though, best of luck and enjoy your service.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I appreciate all the responses. I think I'm leaning towards Emergency Management. While the other job seems more "cool" and "fun" I think I could get a lot more from EM. Plus all that knowledge would be the best prep I could get for myself.

But, more importantly, I want to join so I can actually do something worth a damn. Not only help myself, but others in the community. Thanks for all the tips guys!

infntryman86, I have a meeting with my recruiter next week. I'll definitely send you a PM after that meeting :thumb:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts