Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Before storing my ammo in military surplus ammo cans, I would like to lube up the rubber seal to keep them from cracking over time. Does anyone know which product would work best for this? I was thinking BreakFree CLP or Vaseline. I can not find any information on whether BreakFree CLP hurts rubber or not, and Vaseline is messy. So please give me some advice and details of what you would use or have used. Thanks.

·
Time to hit reset
25,656 Posts
I have to admit you have me thinking. I have had several ammo cans that I have stored my ammo in and I have to check the seals now when I get home this evening. My gut tells me that CLP should be good tho. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
356 Posts
If the can is of fairly recent manufacture and the seals are in good shape, they will last a long, long time just as they are. I left a can of .45ACP and 7.63x39 in the pasteboard boxes (inside the can, of course) on the back of my pickup for over a year before I discovered it. This through a couple of hot, wet Georgia Summers. The ammo is as good as the day it was put in the can, and the seals appear as good as new. Unless I was figuring on long, long term storage exposed to the elements, I wouldn't worry a whole lot about those seals.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If the can is of fairly recent manufacture and the seals are in good shape, they will last a long, long time just as they are. I left a can of .45ACP and 7.63x39 in the pasteboard boxes (inside the can, of course) on the back of my pickup for over a year before I discovered it. This through a couple of hot, wet Georgia Summers. The ammo is as good as the day it was put in the can, and the seals appear as good as new. Unless I was figuring on long, long term storage exposed to the elements, I wouldn't worry a whole lot about those seals.
Thanks for the response. If I were to use something to rehydrate the seals, what do you think would work best, thanks.

·
Registered
802 Posts
Spray them liberally with Silicone Camp Dry or similiar product. The Silicon will not deteriorate the rubber seals and will keep them from sticking. If storing on a concrete floor be sure to put boards or some non sweating material under them. Concrete will "sweat" and rust out the bottoms. I have a WWI ammo can and the seal is as good as ever.

·
Adventurer
19,333 Posts
I vacume seal the ammo and throw in oxegen absorbers before putting in the can and when ready to close the cans I use silicon caulk and put a large bead were the ruber gasket is throw in another oxegen absorber and seal the caulk will creat a secondary seal and should hold up even if the original one fails

·
Super Moderator and Walking Methane Refinery
67,434 Posts
The gaskets on those cans have amazing longevity. I don't know what material they use for them, but they're superior to any other type of rubber I've seen. I have cans that are decades old, rusty and abused, with perfect seals that look and work like new. I don't think I'd worry too much about it, actually.

·
Pacific NW Survivalist
186 Posts
Spray them liberally with Silicone Camp Dry or similiar product. The Silicon will not deteriorate the rubber seals and will keep them from sticking. If storing on a concrete floor be sure to put boards or some non sweating material under them. Concrete will "sweat" and rust out the bottoms. I have a WWI ammo can and the seal is as good as ever.
+1 on the silicone. Any petroleum based grease/lubricant will cause rubber to deteriorate. I learned this the hard way when installing new rubber shackle bushings on the leaf springs of my truck...I have to pull them all back out and meticulously clean the petroleum based white lithium grease off and use silicone.

·
Christian for Israel
582 Posts
For petroleum based gaskets, use silicone / for silicone based gaskets, use petroleum. Remember: like dissolves like.

Pump action 100% silicone spray is avalable at most scuba shops. You can also find 100% silicone aerosol in many restaurant supply companies.

·
Registered
9,535 Posts
I've have yet to do anything to the gasket on an ammo can, or even have one go bad for that matter, and some of my ammo cans have been kicking around here for years. When I get one that goes bad I'll let you know, though I have a hunch you might have a bit of a wait. lol

·
Registered
4,886 Posts
The material used is neopreme. Silicone works well. I use automatovie dielectric grease (silicone grease).

You can also check the seals with a dollar bill. Clamp in in different areas and check the seal by the tension on the dollar bill.

I put the ammo in a bag with dessicant. Dessicant removes moisture. Oxygen absorbers are OK too. but, the big issue is moisture.

·
Registered
497 Posts
I got my ammo cans from cheaper then dirt, I just put some CLP on the rubber and start loading my ammo can up, will last years.
:D:

·
Registered
5 Posts
ammo can help

i want to use a ammo can for storage for dvds/video games etc.. i want to lay the cases on edge longways with titles up and i need a box thats atleast 7.5 inches wide and at least 6 inches high please help!!!!!

·
Adventurer
19,333 Posts
i want to use a ammo can for storage for dvds/video games etc.. i want to lay the cases on edge longways with titles up and i need a box thats atleast 7.5 inches wide and at least 6 inches high please help!!!!!
try a .50 cal can if you need bigger get a 40mm ammo can

·
Registered
969 Posts

^^^^THIS^^^^

·
Registered
5 Posts
@ farmer john ive looked online and all the 50 cals ive seen arnt wide enough im looking at a 20mm but this thing weighs 20lbs empty thanks for help

1 - 20 of 33 Posts