Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 157 Posts

·
Founder
16,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Article I posted on alloutdoor about militant prepper stereotypes,

If yall have a few minutes, please read the article and let me know what you think.

http://www.alloutdoor.com/2017/03/16/avoid-militant-prepper-stereotypes/

Teaser,

If preppers are to be taken seriously, they must avoid the militant stereotype.

We need to stop talking about guns and start talking about real world prepping like what our grandparents and great grandparents used to do.

Thank you in advance.

·
Registered
14,214 Posts
You have a point. In my life, though, it has been my lot to receive considerable care from those who are of usually evil intent because they knew my predilections, and understood that I would likely return consequences they were reluctant to face if they attempted to steal from me, or otherwise interfere in my world. Had they thought me to be unarmed, things would not have gone that way.

·
Don't start no mess
3,786 Posts
If preppers are to be taken seriously, they must avoid the militant stereotype.
Taken seriously by who? I'm not out to convince anyone of anything, and I don't have a platform. Am I supposed to be paying attention to public relations? I don't give a crap what anyone says about preppers... I'm not advertising the fact that I am prepping. Ain't nobody's business but my own.

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
Taken seriously by who? I'm not out to convince anyone of anything, and I don't have a platform. Am I supposed to be paying attention to public relations? I don't give a crap what anyone says about preppers... I'm not advertising the fact that I am prepping. Ain't nobody's business but my own.
Exactly, well said! Have what you have because you feel the need, don't worry about what the next guy says.

·
New and yet, old
2,795 Posts
I agree absolutely. I am a very long prepper and my inner circle of friends are all very aware of that.

A couple of my friends were over for beer and snacks after a day of range time and I got one of your emails announcing a new video. I turned it on while we were talking and the first thing that was said was "what's with the FOBIT holster?"

I am a retired senior Infantry NCO and most of my friends are all veterans of combat in the ME either in Desert Storm or in IF/EF. Very few people wear thigh holsters when they are involved in infantry ops or at least they don't after the first time they have to take cover immediately and land on the thigh where the holster is located. Actually, those in actual beyond the wire ops are not even issued pistols. In the average Infantry company, there are only 11 pistols authorized in the whole unit.

As a suggestion following along with your article, why wear a pistol at all?

Other wise, the vids are always pretty good stuff.

·
Registered
34,722 Posts
Your friends and family. People who could bring something into the prepping group
As Tonto said:

"What's this 'we' white man!?"

I just put 1/2 a years gumbo on the shelves, with another half shortly to follow.... but I don't run around "town" (rural) preaching.

Rather I share a can of peaches and let THEM talk about how canned at the peak of ripeness are so much better.

I talk about how when hurting it's faster/easier to open a home canned jar than thaw.
I let THEM talk about how shelf stable is better than the freezer, and then comment about how it doesn't matter to me because it was cheaper to go offgrid than bring in power.

Guy I know... HE preaches.
And everyone knows "Joe's gonna have stuff"
I talk about using it, and 'SURE' I'll be glad to share.... but... this caught me "just before" I stocked up to can some more/bought another pig, or whatever.

OPSEC, OPSEC, OPSEC....

If they are close enough to you that they will be an asset, they either don't need to know about 'stuff' or they don't think your a loon already.

·
Always thinking
224 Posts
I fall into the middle ground between kev and WTR100. I agree with kev in that it is critical to be proficient in the older skills. Growing/preserving food. Hunting/gathering, tinkering/fixing things, woodcraft, healing arts, etc. ...and that there seems to be a strong emphasis in the fireams/military aspects of prepping (at least as part of a stereotype put forth by those "not in the know"). I also feel that wtr100 has a point in that there comes a time for all good men to stand up and be counted. Especially when the groups he mentioned are gaining momentum. It's hard to stop a runaway train going downhill.....

Me?: I've spent many years learning how to garden, preserve, hunt, butcher, make things, fix things, etc. Along the way I've learned how to shoot, reload, and have collected a lot of guns and ammo. What I'm not good at is small unit tactics and the things that our esteemed members with military backgrounds have been trained in. There's always more to learn and things to do......

I see value in both sides of the coin.....

·
Homesteader
4,145 Posts
I know where you're coming from Kev but I also know that my great grandparents carried a muzzle loading rifle while they were plowing and doing the other farm work. They were armed when they took the horse n' wagon to town.

Then I decided I ought to read your article. :) There are a lot of people who get negative thoughts about the gun culture. I being a first class gun nut even shudder at some of the utubes that abound. That being said, I believe as time goes on and things progressively get worse (and tell me a period in recent years where they haven't gotten progressively worse) people will come to realize that it wasn't the nuts who carried the guns, it was the thinking ones.

·
Registered
135 Posts
I like what you wrote, I don't think Guns are as important as some people think they are. Although a gun is essential, I think if you have a gun or not should be something very few people should know about. Your firepower should be your very best kept secret.

·
Founder
16,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Fearless leader you're wrong.

If anything we need to get more militant - the social justice warriors, black lives matter and muslim missionaries from the religion of peace certainly don't seem to be getting less militant

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Thank you for posting your honest opinion.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Strictly my opinion, is that its best to prepare like our predecessors, maintain community ties, AND to have some firearms with ammo. I don't know that we would actually NEED the firearms but better to have and not need as the saying goes. The only reason I have multiple firearms is that some belonged to our son and we inherited them. Kind of a crappy way to get them, would much rather he was still here and we could talk about them.

·
Keep It Simple, Stupid
916 Posts
I agree with your point, but I think your article would read better if you anchored it with some definitions and general premises. I would start by expanding upon this sentence:

In the 1990s there was a shift in the prepping community from being self-sufficient, to tacticool and preparing for an armed conflict.
I think this is the thesis of your article - that prepping is about being self sufficient, not being materialistic. However, it's hidden in the last section and loses its effectiveness.

·
Live Free or Die
3,866 Posts
I have a different opinion. I am not anti-gun by any measure, but I don't carry or even own one anymore. Traveling with guns is just too much of a PITA as I travel across multiple jurisdictions and even cross international borders. I am a prepper only in that I have a lot of skills from advanced first aid to strong mechanical and electrical skills. I can build a small home by myself. I can go into a junkyard and build a functional vehicle from the parts I find there. I can grow food and nurture small animals. I can cook from scratch and have a fair knowledge of medicinal plants. BUT I cannot even get a concealed weapons permit because I do not have a permanent physical address. I like guns and other weapons, but guns just do not fit in with my preferred lifestyle. If I ever settle down, a rifle will be my very first purchase; followed quickly by a couple pistols and a CWP. Until then, it just isn't worth the hassle. Situational awareness has kept me safe and out of trouble for over 20 years on the road.

·
Master Mason
2,908 Posts
Very well done. And I agree. I remember the 90's very well. The gun shows got downright weird.

My Mother was born a farm girl during the Depression. I'm amazed at her skill sets to this day. Basic survival skills that are still a habit even now. From gardening to canning to repairs to making things to hunting to tolerating and perseverance.

Give her a .22 rifle and she can out shoot me. I'm glad I paid attention.

1 - 20 of 157 Posts